• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone display their books?
4 4

35 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I don't"t display my books. Artificial light will cause fading; fluorescent bulbs are worse than incandescent bulbs.

On a serious note, LEDs are the best available artificial lighting for everything art-wise according to leading experts in the field such as museum curators. This is based on the most current scientific knowledge on display lighting that I’ve been able to access on the web.  

The jury is still out on long term use of LEDs, but the consensus is pretty clear.  While there may be some sincere disagreement or vested interests involved in trying to shape opinion, there’s scant science based empirical evidence that associates fading with LED lighting.  

Conversely, all other commonly used light sources ...natural & artificial... do have one or more known risk factors (UV, IR and/or heat) detrimental for art display.  Most experts agree that if using any source that produces UV spectrum light, filtering is recommended.

Note: It’s also recommended that LEDs in the range of 2700 Kelvin be used for displaying art, etc.

I display medical (especially surgical) themed comics in my exam rooms.  From 1940's WW2 medical themed ones to mid-century Nellies & horror.  Patients ask me about them all the time.  I made my own wood frames, and routed out the backs differently - so that both raw books (in a mylar bag with a glass cover) and slabbed books look the same.  (The slab edges/label is hidden.)

3 minutes ago, tpetty said:

I display medical (especially surgical) themed comics in my exam rooms.  From 1940's WW2 medical themed ones to mid-century Nellies & horror.  Patients ask me about them all the time.  I made my own wood frames, and routed out the backs differently - so that both raw books (in a mylar bag with a glass cover) and slabbed books look the same.  (The slab edges/label is hidden.)

Sounds really cool! Have any pix?

6 hours ago, tpetty said:

Now there's a doctors office I'd look forward to visiting!

7 hours ago, Black Bat said:

Now there's a doctors office I'd look forward to visiting!

Plus one! It’s nice to have a common rapport with your doctor. Makes the visit enjoyable for both I would think. I would love to see some pics also! (thumbsu

I built a display for some of my best but made sure to change all lighting to LED, make sure all windows are closed and display faces away from windows, most importantly had Gallery quality OP-3 UV filtering acrylic cut in sheets to fit over each row. Anyone else ever use similar material?

https://www.acrylite.co/acrylite-uv-filtering-op3-product-info.html

20DDB4BC-F025-489F-A39E-2F1CEEFC0A8A.jpeg

FF42FDC9-F024-46E2-B1B1-5C4F3E279721.jpeg

FF4F3F5E-B6B9-43BC-A45B-76AAB011744D.jpeg

62B50CE4-B25F-4B26-838C-CF4B378F77B1.jpeg

Edited by AJCohen