• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neil Gaiman gives blanket permission to use his books

29 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

That's cool, but does he have the legal right to do so?  I'd imagine he sold the rights to these stories to his publisher, although I have no idea how that works

That's positive thinkin' right there!

-slym

Edited by slym2none

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

That's cool, but does he have the legal right to do so?  I'd imagine he sold the rights to these stories to his publisher, although I have no idea how that works

I wondered that myself, but I'm thinking that Gaiman is a big enough star that he could flex enough power to get his way if the publisher raised a stink. During a crisis such as this, no publisher is going to want to look like the bad guy if the writer themselves is giving permission. Just a hunch. There aren't a ton of authors who still move serious numbers of physical books. I'd wager Gaiman is one of the bigger names capable of doing so.

What does a blanket do with books? ???

Edited by lizards2
Buy grammar lessons?

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I wondered that myself, but I'm thinking that Gaiman is a big enough star that he could flex enough power to get his way if the publisher raised a stink. During a crisis such as this, no publisher is going to want to look like the bad guy if the writer themselves is giving permission. Just a hunch. There aren't a ton of authors who still move serious numbers of physical books. I'd wager Gaiman is one of the bigger names capable of doing so.

Or, he knows what he is doing. I was just going on that premise, and was keeping things positive. I get enough negativity in my life, I just didn't need to see it brought in here. It might have been a good question, but maybe anyone asking that could go as Mr. Gaiman himself. It apparently isn't difficult to contact him, heck, his Twitter handle is displayed in the pics above.

4 minutes ago, shadroch said:

When you have nothing, you have nothing to lose. When you own a business, you have much to lose. Courts don't care if you were thinking positively.

The above goes double for you, mister.

-slym

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

That very well may be, but after seeing a hospital have to paint over a Mickey Mouse mural in a kids ward after a letter from Disney, I've learned to try and look at things a bit more cautiously.

8 hours ago, slym2none said:

Or, he knows what he is doing. I was just going on that premise, and was keeping things positive. I get enough negativity in my life, I just didn't need to see it brought in here. It might have been a good question, but maybe anyone asking that could go as Mr. Gaiman himself. It apparently isn't difficult to contact him, heck, his Twitter handle is displayed in the pics above.

The above goes double for you, mister.

-slym

Wasn't trying to rain on your parade, just engaging in a conversation on a chat board. There wasn't anything negative about my speculation.I don't personally care one way or the other.

8 hours ago, shadroch said:

That very well may be, but after seeing a hospital have to paint over a Mickey Mouse mural in a kids ward after a letter from Disney, I've learned to try and look at things a bit more cautiously.

You may be right, I have no idea, it's just the thought that occurred to me. Not sure if publishers are as litigious as the House of Mouse, but they could very well be! Or it may be a total non-issue.

10 hours ago, lizards2 said:

What does a blanket do with books? ???

You can put a couple of books in a smaller type of blanket and then swing them at people causing grave harm to their personal being.  Think of it like putting a block of soap in a sock and then repeatedly hitting someone with it until the lapse into unconsciousness. 

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

You can put a couple of books in a smaller type of blanket and then swing them at people causing grave harm to their personal being.  Think of it like putting a block of soap in a sock and then repeatedly hitting someone with it until the lapse into unconsciousness. 

Maybe this isn't the thread for you, Buzztardo

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Things must be worse in NY than I thought.

9 hours ago, shadroch said:

My understanding of IP law is that if a company is made aware that someone is using their IP without consent even for a just cause they MUST toss that individual or violating entity a C & D.   If not, then they run the risk of another company using their lack of maintenance of the IP as a precedent to use it for their own means in a manner which MAY damage the IP. 

This is why when Hasbro is at SDCC or another major con they walk around with their eyes closed to the 3rd Party infringement when it comes to Transformers.  There was one year at a Transformers convention where someone actually walked up to Hasbro and asked them what they thought of the 3rd Party Transformers / Bootleg Transformers in the room.  Upon someone formally bringing it to their attention they had no choice but to contact the showrunner and have those particular vendors remove their goods.   It was a "thing" a few years ago. 

Hasbro knew that they were there but they did not officially 'know' they were there until someone brought it to their attention. 

3 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

2 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

Things must be worse in NY than I thought.

You guys didn't have siblings?  My brother and I put each other in the emergency room numerous times...

Good times... good times... 

Edited by Buzzetta

10 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

You may be right, I have no idea, it's just the thought that occurred to me. Not sure if publishers are as litigious as the House of Mouse, but they could very well be! Or it may be a total non-issue.

Absolutely. This is a field I don't understand, but encounter quite a bit lately.

I was a huge ECW fan and one of things I loved was how they used Surf music to highlight their video productions, and how each wrestler came to the ring to different rock music. Now that the WWE owns the rights to ECW, the new videos use generic sounds or the WWE owned music their wrestlers use. 

Tommy Dreamer discussed it at a fan fest saying the original ECW got away with it because they had no assets so no one would sue, but WWE is a billion dollar corporation that the people owning that music would sue in a heartbeat.

9 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Being Irish, we'd put a potato in.  Who brings soap to a sock fight

20 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

You guys didn't have siblings?  My brother and I put each other in the emergency room numerous times...

Good times... good times... 

I did have a brother.

We had one of those little hockey games, like the bubble hockey but jankier. It came with a miniature Stanley Cup. I tied an extra long shoelace to the Stanley Cup and whirled it around like a bullroarer - eventually pinning him down and getting the whirling Stanley Cup closer and closer to his face, until the shoelace gave way and the Stanley Cup plowed into his nose at about 95% the speed of sound. His nose exploded like an unpierced hot dog in a microwave. The resulting pool of blood on the carpet caused an extemporaneous re-shuffling of our bedroom furniture.  Yes, good times.

PS: I just wanted to say "maybe this isn't the thread for you." Because if this were 2013, "maybe this isn't the thread for you" would definitely have become a thing . . .

27 minutes ago, seanfingh said:
30 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

That's Chuck Buzzton.  

I just saw that the original Death Wish is in the free movie que, on demand, and was planning to watch it again.