• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any love out there for Speed Comics ?
3 3

77 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, circumstances said:

Great one. I just posted mine as a reply to yours in Less That Ten Copies. I think I already posted mine in this thread a few months ago.

I'm surprised that there are 9 Universal copies graded as this is a HARD book to find. I would've liked a nicer copy and will patiently wait for one, but it's likely to be a LONG wait ...... 

1 hour ago, Frisco Larson said:

I'm surprised that there are 9 Universal copies graded as this is a HARD book to find. I would've liked a nicer copy and will patiently wait for one, but it's likely to be a LONG wait ...... 

I posted a real beater in the previous page. Got it right here on the boards. Real beat, but real cheap. Never seen a copy for sale so I hit it the second I saw it. Sometimes any copy is is better than NO copy...

36 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I posted a real beater in the previous page. Got it right here on the boards. Real beat, but real cheap. Never seen a copy for sale so I hit it the second I saw it. Sometimes any copy is is better than NO copy...

Agreed!!! I'm happy to have one at all!!! I had been finding original art pages to these Speed Comics easier than finding the comics themselves!!! 

On 3/27/2020 at 2:59 PM, Robot Man said:

comspeed33.jpg

Seeing this cover, I'm always reminded of what Coulton Waugh said about it in "The Comics" (1947).

Take a typical comic-book cover of World War II days.

Scene, a Jap wireless shack, through whose open door is seen a vessel being dive-bombed and bursting into flames. Which side is that ship on? It isn't obvious. In the foreground a Jap is sending a message under difficulties; he screams, revealing hideous buck-teeth as he sends. A baseball bat swung by a tough youngster has smashed him on the head in a white explosion. Another Jap, with bloody Samurai sword in one hand, spitting gun in the other, has has also been socked by a noble, hooded male in brilliant blue. Meanwhile a blood-red blond man is smashing the power plant with his gloved fists -- Hey! Look out! There's a green Jap splut-sputting him with a machine gun! Yes, but see that blond, teen-age girl crouching on the pink table; she's got a blood-red ax; she's coming down on the Jap's head, or is she? A hideous, shaven crook is leaning through a porthole aiming a blowgun at her -- Yeah, but see that youngster in the blue business suit jabbing a bayoneted rifle at the whole group -- But another jap is reaching at him! Ah, but a gorgeous superwoman with blood-red hair and highly stylized harlequin mask, through which peer blood-white eyes is strangling the Jap with one of her delicate arms, as with the other, she -- oh, well.

The layout artist, on completing this page, probably looked hopelessly at it, figured it was a failure. He had used up every inch of available screaming space, yet, there was no block of ice enclosing a glorious, frozen girl about to be sawed in half by a ghoulish hellscientist done up in a white coat and pince-nez. Probably the editor, looking at this cover, said to himself, "That layout guy Prangle is slipping. We gotta get more action."