Remember the 80s? What was the best MARVEL mini Series?
2 2

67 posts in this topic

21,811 posts
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, icp004 said:

Secret Wars for me.  Lost count of the number of times I’ve reread it. 

The teenager in my wants to agree. I still remember the hate I had for the :censored: that broke up Peter and Kitty.
I was crushed at the time.

 

 

Edited by fastballspecial

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
333 posts

My vote would have to be Punisher but I also love the pure epicness of Crisis on Infinite Earths. George Perez's art was awesome and I still really enjoy the story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
511 posts
8 hours ago, kimik said:

For every kid that grew up with the toys and cartoons, GI Joe vs Transformers was a must have when it came out.

This one I remember being confusing when I read it.  It kept referencing things that were happening in the current issues of GI Joe and Transformers and I know damn well I didn't have the issues that were going on.  I got into the comic game late for these titles.  I'd probably have to pull it back out and read it along with the issues that it references to understand everything.  

 

I do love 80s and early to mid 90s Marvel, and have been trying to collect as many of the mini series as I can (especially from the 80s).  I should read them all at some point, but of the ones I've sat down to read I would also go with Punisher or Wolverine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23,544 posts
2 hours ago, mec3437 said:

This one I remember being confusing when I read it.  It kept referencing things that were happening in the current issues of GI Joe and Transformers and I know damn well I didn't have the issues that were going on.  I got into the comic game late for these titles.  I'd probably have to pull it back out and read it along with the issues that it references to understand everything.  

 

I do love 80s and early to mid 90s Marvel, and have been trying to collect as many of the mini series as I can (especially from the 80s).  I should read them all at some point, but of the ones I've sat down to read I would also go with Punisher or Wolverine.  

I had the main Joes and Transformers titles at the time, and I can see how it would have been tough to follow without it. I just loved the fact that they had the two most popular franchises of my childhood at the time together in one book. The story is probably weak now, but at the time I thought it was awesome. Unfortunately both titles started to go downhill shortly after that. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,733 posts

The two that had me riding my bike like a wild man to pick up were Secret Wars and Squadron Supreme.  Many other excellent choices mentioned here, but these two were absolute spinner rack must-gets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,158 posts

So many good ones:

1. Punisher mini

2. Wolverine min

3. Cloak & Dagger (Leonardi + Austin = <3), plus very timely reference to tampering with Tylenol bottles really hit home

4. Black Dragon (Claremont + Bolton)...without a doubt, the most underrated Marvel mini-series ever.  Bolton's art is exquisite.

5. X-Men/Alpha Flight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,176 posts

Since Zeck's Secret Wars and Punisher keep coming up, would Kraven's Last Hunt count here?  Although not bannered as a Limited Series per se, I believe it was the 1st complete story Marvel had ever told across three titles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
842 posts
On 4/9/2020 at 12:43 AM, porcupine48 said:

MOONSHADOW!

 

Thank you. Was waiting for someone to say this. Not even close. This is actual literature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,158 posts
On 4/11/2020 at 9:21 PM, comiconxion said:

Since Zeck's Secret Wars and Punisher keep coming up, would Kraven's Last Hunt count here?  Although not bannered as a Limited Series per se, I believe it was the 1st complete story Marvel had ever told across three titles?

I don’t think it would...it’s one story arc spread across three titles...not the same thing as a mini-series, IMHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,158 posts
On 4/12/2020 at 3:16 AM, waaaghboss said:

Does it have to be Marvel(TM)?  Because nothing, NOTHING! beats groo from pacific.

 

*ducks tomatoes* 

Groo would be a top nominee for non-marvel-non-DC mini-series for certain!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,364 posts
1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Groo would be a top nominee for non-marvel-non-DC mini-series for certain!

Black Kiss! WTF? But I enjoyed it at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,410 posts

I was so enamored by the Wolverine miniseries that I ordered 50 copies of each issues. Over the years, I gave away some and sold some. Luckily I saved a few sets for myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,158 posts
4 hours ago, jaeldubyoo said:

I've always loved the art in the Longshot miniseries by Art Adams.

I recently tried to read it again.

it is unreadable, but the pictures are pretty!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,945 posts
On 4/8/2020 at 5:14 PM, spideyfan68 said:

Wolverine 1-4, I loved that mini-series as a kid. I wasn't a huge Wolverine fan but that character with Frank Miller at the height of his superpowers at Marvel and Claremont writing, it's a slam dunk for me. 

wolverine for me also.   Lots of great ones but this was the best and it wasn’t really close

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,036 posts
Posted (edited)

Wolverine was good but for me it was Elektra: Assassin easily. The relationship between her and Agent Garrett was epic!! :) Great ending too. 

ElektraAssassin008-027.jpg

ElektraAssassin008-033.jpg

ElektraAssassin008-034.jpg

Edited by fett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,364 posts
14 minutes ago, fett said:

Wolverine was good but for me it was Elektra: Assassin easily. The relationship between her and Agent Garrett was epic!! :) Great ending too. 

ElektraAssassin008-027.jpg

ElektraAssassin008-033.jpg

ElektraAssassin008-034.jpg

This guy knows what he is talking about!

HISSSSSS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2