• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Definitions
1 1

7 posts in this topic

What is your definition of "bend"?  The glossary in Overstreet doesn't have a definition.  They do define "crease" as "a fold which causes in removal, usually resulting in a white line".  They define "folds" as "linear dents in paper that do not result in the loss of ink; not a crease". 

I always thought bend was synonymous with fold.

Now I have a book come back from CCS and CGC with the notes "light bends to cover, light spine stress lines to cover, moderate creasing to cover".  I asked CGC how it was that bends weren't taken out by the pressing process and was told "All of those refer to color breaking defects which pressing can not get out."  Does "bend" and "crease" mean the same thing to CGC graders?

Bends are deformations in the paper which do not physically alter the paper fiber the same as a crease.  If you pressed out a bend you would never know it was there but you can still see a crease (In most cases).  Even creases which don't break color can still be seen because they alter the paper fibers.  At least thats been my understanding.