• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Appearance or GTFO?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

This surely applies to copper age and moderns but he biggest stakes are in the Silver Age, which is what I am following more closely at the moment.

I've been noticing a bigger divide than ever before with first appearances and second appearances. First appearances are climbing in value and reaching new heights (can't get a decent price on Detective 359 or Hawkman 4 to save my life) but several early appearances are selling for below guide. Obviously not the ones where the second appearance is a key for different reasons (like how Spidey's early appearances all have their own awesome first appearances) but books like Sinestro's second appearance haven't gone up much (even though it's a classic cover), issues like Hawkman 5 are obtainable for the cost of the slab it's in, and I just purchased the second Justice League appearance at half guide (which is in line with the GPA, showing a massive drop from just a few years ago). 

So these second appearances which I would have thought still count as keys are selling for much smaller fraction than the first appearance than before, with a widening gap.

Which brings me to my question, is the current mentality First Appearance or GTFO?

Edited by William-James88

It’s keys and covers or GTFO, these days. 

A great time to be filling in runs. Early important groupings, like B&B 28-30, Hulk 1-6, Showcase apps., etc. are comparatively great deals, as well. 
I’ve heard collectors justify purchases with variations of “ask a normal person to name (whichever)”. It’s perfectly valid, but I’m not buying to impress normal people. It’s a good plan for short term money, but not so good for building a collection that means something to you personally.

Congrats on that BB 29!