• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man #300 - Direct and Newsstand
1 1

24 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

And still, with all of the information provided by the OP, I would not be willing to pay 1 cent more for a newsstand copy over direct.

golf clap

But seriously @valiantman thanks for doing some research, it's fun to think about, and in comparison just to see the "numbers" of what we see everyday on ebay add's perspective....

Even if not definite, it's nice to analyze what we DO have :headbang: 

16 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It all keeps adding up! I think I'm cracking up! Am I just paranoid, or am I just stooooooooooooooned

The local radio station here always played the censored version, so we got used to singing:

"It all keeps adding up!  I think I'm cracking up!  Am I just paranoid, or ya-ya-ya-ya?!?"

Here's the CGC Census for ASM #300 (no separation of Direct and Newsstand)

asm300act_slabdata.png

Using the estimates from the market, throwing those numbers against the CGC census... here's an estimate of what's happening with Direct vs. Newsstand for all 22,000+ slabs:

asm300est_slabdata.png

Edited by valiantman

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The local radio station here always played the censored version, so we got used to singing:

"It all keeps adding up!  I think I'm cracking up!  Am I just paranoid, or ya-ya-ya-ya?!?"

You guys have just made up my spotify playlist today

Thanks!

10 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

And still, with all of the information provided by the OP, I would not be willing to pay 1 cent more for a newsstand copy over direct.

I guess I'm on the other end of the spectrum. :ohnoez: I will gladly pay a 10% to 50% premium for key 9.8 newsies from 1984 to 1993. I have little to no interest in collecting direct as they seem to be ubiquitous. 2c

10 hours ago, valiantman said:

Here's the CGC Census for ASM #300 (no separation of Direct and Newsstand)

asm300act_slabdata.png

Using the estimates from the market, throwing those numbers against the CGC census... here's an estimate of what's happening with Direct vs. Newsstand for all 22,000+ slabs:

asm300est_slabdata.png

So high grade newsstands are hard to find. Got it. ;)

LOL j/k (:

On 5/19/2020 at 5:37 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Amen.  Always preferred the art in that little box over an ugly UPC code.

Edited by waaaghboss

On 5/19/2020 at 6:29 PM, ramrod44 said:
On 5/19/2020 at 7:37 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I guess I'm on the other end of the spectrum. :ohnoez: I will gladly pay a 10% to 50% premium for key 9.8 newsies from 1984 to 1993. I have little to no interest in collecting direct as they seem to be ubiquitous. 2c

It's definitely a spectrum of collector views, and it's likely they'll change for some collectors in the next few years.

You have @jjonahjameson11 on one side of the spectrum who "would not be willing to pay 1 cent more for a newsstand copy over direct" and on the other side of the spectrum, there are collectors who have said that the direct market made comic books so easy to get in high grade that nothing from the 1980s should have any value in direct editions because they were treated like gold from the first day and it's no problem to obtain any direct edition in any grade on any day of the year.

22 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It's definitely a spectrum of collector views, and it's likely they'll change for some collectors in the next few years.

You have @jjonahjameson11 on one side of the spectrum who "would not be willing to pay 1 cent more for a newsstand copy over direct" and on the other side of the spectrum, there are collectors who have said that the direct market made comic books so easy to get in high grade that nothing from the 1980s should have any value in direct editions because they were treated like gold from the first day and it's no problem to obtain any direct edition in any grade on any day of the year.

And, of course, they would be incorrect in a sense because you had so many more people in the 80’s who bought comics to R-E-A-D.  The 80s were my prime collecting period and I read every comic I purchased or received as gifts.  It wasn’t until ASM 300 that I bought multiples of the same book.

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:
2 hours ago, valiantman said:

And, of course, they would be incorrect in a sense because you had so many more people in the 80’s who bought comics to R-E-A-D.  The 80s were my prime collecting period and I read every comic I purchased or received as gifts.  It wasn’t until ASM 300 that I bought multiples of the same book.

asm300est_slabdata.png

Exactly, that's why there are direct editions on this ASM #300 chart for every grade... unread and very protected (9.2+), read carefully and protected (8.0), read many times (6.0), read until the cover almost falls off (2.0)... but if you want to find a copy that's CGC 9.8 and newsstand, you'll wait through 38 direct edition CGC 9.8s before you find one.  You might not, personally, pay 1 cent more, but you'd be out of the market after the first CGC 9.8 direct edition arrives and you buy it at market price.  Those other collectors waiting for the CGC 9.8 newsstand or even a CGC 9.6 newsstand will pay a lot more than an extra penny, since they will not leave the market until one comes up.  You're not wrong for buying direct editions at no premium, but it makes just as much sense if someone else pays extra for high-grade newsstands, particularly with actual numbers to use in their bidding decisions.

Edited by valiantman

8 hours ago, valiantman said:

asm300est_slabdata.png

Exactly, that's why there are direct editions on this ASM #300 chart for every grade... unread and very protected (9.2+), read carefully and protected (8.0), read many times (6.0), read until the cover almost falls off (2.0)... but if you want to find a copy that's CGC 9.8 and newsstand, you'll wait through 38 direct edition CGC 9.8s before you find one.  You might not, personally, pay 1 cent more, but you'd be out of the market after the first CGC 9.8 direct edition arrives and you buy it at market price.  Those other collectors waiting for the CGC 9.8 newsstand or even a CGC 9.6 newsstand will pay a lot more than an extra penny, since they will not leave the market until one comes up.  You're not wrong for buying direct editions at no premium, but it makes just as much sense if someone else pays extra for high-grade newsstands, particularly with actual numbers to use in their bidding decisions.

:applause: Eloquently put. :applause:

On 5/19/2020 at 7:29 PM, ramrod44 said:

Unless you find one in an auction you'd be very fortunate to find a key copper 9.8 UPC for just a 50% markup. Maybe one from mid 80's yes but late 80's early 90's...good luck 

32 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Unless you find one in an auction you'd be very fortunate to find a key copper 9.8 UPC for just a 50% markup. Maybe one from mid 80's yes but late 80's early 90's...good luck 

Stay informed, alert, patient and stick to your percentages. A few will trickle thru. I'm in the early stages of acquiring copper newsies so I have almost 100 books on my list. So far I'm finding that targets present themselves at a rate almost equal to my ability to afford them. I hopeful that I can complete this list sometime before the sweet release of death.:preach:

16 hours ago, ramrod44 said:

Stay informed, alert, patient and stick to your percentages. A few will trickle thru. I'm in the early stages of acquiring copper newsies so I have almost 100 books on my list. So far I'm finding that targets present themselves at a rate almost equal to my ability to afford them. I hopeful that I can complete this list sometime before the sweet release of death.:preach:

Okay looks like you're after more than keys if you have that many on your target list. Or are you looking at more than just Marvels? I was mainly referring to things like NM #86, 98 or Daredevil 277, Hulk 340 or maybe Alf #1??? Asm 252 is easy. Even just random Mcfarlane ASM 9.8 UPC other than his first three have super high asking prices. Forget about 298 299 300, you'll be fortunate to see a 9.8 upc without them asking the moon! Especially if this information from Valiantman gets out 

Edited by MGsimba77

3 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Okay looks like you're after more than keys if you have that many on your target list. Or are you looking at more than just Marvels? I was mainly referring to things like NM #86, 98 or Daredevil 277, Hulk 340 or maybe Alf #1??? Asm 252 is easy. Even just random Mcfarlane ASM 9.8 UPC other than his first three have super high asking prices. Forget about 298 299 300, you'll be fortunate to see a 9.8 upc without them asking the moon! Especially if this information from Valiantman gets out 

Looking for mostly Marvel but about 20% DC. A while back I started a list of all the copper keys I remember reading or buying at the LCS. I was surprised at how long the list was. There are several that might not be considered keys (Daredevil #249, Conan #241) but I liked the stories or art. As for ASM #298, #299 & #300, they are on the list but I will probably have to be content with a 9.6. I think my OCD can handle a 80/20 split of 9.8/9.6 on copper newsies.  I'm sure I'll have to adjust the 10% to 50% premium upward in the future as the list shrinks but for now it seems to be working for me. (thumbsu