• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best bronze age writer?

113 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'll admit I've bought reasonable priced VF copies of SA ASM and the like just to read :)

I must agree with you, and the copies are shipped to cgc now. I figure I can repurchase and pick up a trade of them again.

But really nothing beats picking up decent copies, imo, and reading the original and knowing the copy existed back then lol

a real nostalgia transference ha! But it happens, since I was not alive back then ;)

I only read 4 ASM as a kid I got from someone else I never bought marvel.  I found them fascinating but didnt have much money so had to focus on superman:
image.jpeg.083d83a8dbc85b2a953be682bace4e6b.jpegimage.jpeg.55ea0459fe032b98f545423397205ff5.jpegimage.jpeg.9eb038961504236c0ca85122e9047f0c.jpegimage.jpeg.1f761b6dfe8f7e25753671e7cdf27965.jpeg

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

?

What is the title of your thread?

what are you trying to say?  spit it out-no sentence fragments.
What abt jack kirby?

1 minute ago, kav said:

I only read 4 ASM as a kid I got from someone else I never bought marvel.  I found them fascinating but didnt have much money so had to focus on superman:
image.jpeg.083d83a8dbc85b2a953be682bace4e6b.jpegimage.jpeg.55ea0459fe032b98f545423397205ff5.jpegimage.jpeg.9eb038961504236c0ca85122e9047f0c.jpegimage.jpeg.1f761b6dfe8f7e25753671e7cdf27965.jpeg

Those are on my list to get, thanks for recommending  :)

the ones I read were ASM #71 & #81 & 72, real copies.

back when there were some newspapers reprints of early ASM issues, I bought a lot of like 15, that's another reason when I saw the 2nd appearance of doctor octopus non reprint for cheap I snagged it.

there are some comics stan wrote that are a lot of reading to get through 1 page...

but the ASM s I enjoyed, I might be partial, cause I saved up yard mowing money as a kid to subscribe to ASM "classics" series.... 

get them hooked early! :banana:haha

He created Eternals

New Gods

Both Bronze age masterpieces

He was an amazing Bronze age writer

You gotta be ******* me.  I like his stuff but it is GOOFY.  He is not anywhere in the ball park of a writer like denny o neil on GL/GA or steve englehart on avengers.

6 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

How dare you insult him like that

he was a genius but his dialogue sucked-lets be honest here.  And his overuse of quotation marks was goofy.  He would -script stuff like
I am "going" to "destroy" you, Ikarus-now shall you "Pay".  Not an actual quote from book but you get the idea.
WTF

Edited by kav

3 minutes ago, kav said:

he was a genius but his dialogue sucked-lets be honest here.  And his overuse of quotation marks was goofy.
I am "going" to "destroy" you, Ikarus-now shall you "Pay".
WTF

Speaking of garbage dialogue 

I watched King of New York tonight, some of the worst dialogue I have ever seen...

You can't expect masterful dialogue in two dialogue bubbles on a panel Kav, Jack Kirby was special

Edited by Hollywood1892

You can't expect masterful dialogue in to dialogue bubbles on a panel Kav.

well denny o neil did just that in GL

Not that there is anything with a lot of words or descriptive text, but I found the bronze age to be a lot of cosmic and adjectives

Nothing wrong with that, I can take it or leave it, a good writer could still get to the point and provide quality....

The art was superb I'll give it that

And I found Claremont writing of the Phoenix to be well rounded and direct enough...

Even Kirby for the most part, but his imagination seemed more apparant in the art. :)

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Those are on my list to get, thanks for recommending  :)

the ones I read were ASM #71 & #81 & 72, real copie

there are some comics stan wrote that are a lot of reading to get through 1 page...

but the ASM s I enjoyed, I might be partial, cause I saved up yard mowing money as a kid to subscribe to ASM "classics" series.... 

get them hooked early! :banana:haha

Just to clarify  :shy:

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Not that there is anything with a lot of words or descriptive text, but I found the bronze age to be a lot of cosmic and adjectives

Nothing wrong with that, I can take it or leave it, a good writer could still get to the point and provide quality....

The art was superb I'll give it that

And I found Claremont writing of the Phoenix to be well rounded and direct enough...

Even Kirby for the most part, but his imagination seemed more apparant in the art. :)

Just to clarify  :shy:

You have to show rather then tell, probably why Kirby is more renown for his art then his writing

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

That is your grail Kav, I would expect you to defend him like that....spose I could defend Todd McFarlane because of ASM 300

All I'm saying is it's Jack :censored: Kirby

ok steve englehart on avengers then.

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

You have to show rather then tell, probably why Kirby is more renown for his art then his writing

His art and concept were awesome.  It was the dialogue that was lacking however I love the goofiness of it!