• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Soldiers Unknown-my own comic graded by CGC!
1 1

20 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, OV said:

Hooray!  I worked with the very talented artist Rahsan Ekedal for three years on our graphic novel titled Soldiers Unknown.  My story is about three Yurok Native American soldiers from northwestern California who are drafted and then fight for the U.S. Army in World War One in France.  The book is historical fiction, as it is based on my two great-great-uncles who served in the 91st Infantry Division and fought in the Meuse-Argonne offensive.  This offensive remains the U.S. Army's largest battle in history.  I also wrote about how the surviving Yurok men returned home and used cultural disciplines to help heal from the conflict.  I have many relatives who have served in the U.S. military over the generations. 

My book was officially endorsed by the World War One Centennial Commission, which was comprised of a group of presidential-appointed academics and military personnel.  My book was the ONLY comic this commission endorsed for historical accuracy and appropriate representation in their five-year history.  So this book helps represent and convey the United States WW1 military experience, but through the cultural lens of Native American men.  The commission allowed us to use their logo on the bottom right of the cover as part of their endorsement.  

But now...I'm happy to share that I had some of my books graded by CGC!  :acclaim: After all my years of collecting CGC books, I can read my own name on one!  And it's worth millions!  (LOL, not yet at least).  :cloud9: 

I'm busy working on several new comic stories with Rahsan and other great artists too.  But here's my book...(thumbsu

Thank you for reading this, Chag Lowry

SU CGC Cover.jpg

SU label.jpg

Quite an accomplishment  @OV proud! Printed by Great Oak Press and label says the endorsement! Pretty cool to have the slab :headbang:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

21 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Congrats on your book!  Super cool.

Are you selling slabbed copies?

Thank you!  (thumbsu  I plan to sell slabbed copies, but I have no idea how to price them....I submitted five copies this first time and got three 9.8 and two 9.6 grades.  :cloud9:  I just sent in five more copies to get graded last week.  :wishluck:

4 hours ago, OV said:

Thank you to everyone who read and commented on this!  You are all awesome.  (thumbsu  Here are a couple of pages from the book, so you can see just how amazing an artist Rahsan Ekedal is.  He penciled, inked, and colored the entire 120 pages!  (worship)

Color page 26.jpg

Color page.jpg

Color page 57.jpg

This is good stuff.  I always advise artists to use more black!!  sean phillips demonstrates:
SEAN PHILLIPS - CRIMINAL VOL2 #3 PAGE 11 (THE SINNERS) , in C .'s ...

On 3/20/2023 at 11:34 AM, lizards2 said:

My grandfather also fought in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive - I have his campaign badge with two stars that included that Offensive, as well as the Defensive Sector, which covered smaller battles during the time. The WW I experience haunted him for the rest of his life.

My mom always understood that she was half Norwegian and half German when she grew up in Minnesota.

A few years ago, a couple of my siblings took an ancestry test and discovered that our full-blooded German grandfather was actually a full-blooded Irish in hiding. 

Here is a link to some interesting discussion on the campaign badges during the WW I era.   American (US) Victory Medals - Page 25 - Inter-Allied Victory Medals of the Great War - Gentleman's Military Interest Club (gmic.co.uk)

I started reading some of my grandfather's books on WW I, which has piqued my interest in the subject, and I am working on obtaining my grandfather's service records.

So you are not partial German?

On 3/22/2023 at 7:59 AM, MattTheDuck said:
On 3/21/2023 at 12:12 PM, lizards2 said:

1/8 French-Canadian

Well, you'll never live that down.

cousin greggy