• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

On 11/23/2020 at 2:44 PM, valiantman said:

Counterpoint:

There are about 1,300 CGC 9.8 Amazing Spider-Man #300 on the CGC Census and 10 graded at CGC 9.9.

The CGC 9.8 Amazing Spider-Man #300 sells for around $4,000.

There are 8,000 PSA 8 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan cards on the PSA Census and 3,000 graded at PSA 9 or higher.

The PSA 8 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan sells for around $6,000.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Fleer-Michael-Jordan-RC-PSA-8-/353277719892

Which collectible to do you think "shall pass" back down in value first or fastest?

On 11/23/2020 at 2:32 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Many, many times.  Think Silver Surfer 50 in the early 90s, Kamala Khan Captain Marvel, etc.  This is definitely a hype period and I guarantee there are many, many people out there sitting on a dozen or more high grade copies thinking they've got the next IH 181 on their hands.  Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if someone has an unopened case of them squirreled away.  This is not a rare, scarce, or even uncommon book.  Not even in 9.8.

Short answer is get it graded and sell it ASAP.  Long answer is this-  I don't know what you have into your copy, but let's say you paid a bunch for a raw copy 15 years ago, say $200 (yes, you could get raw NM+ for that much then).  If it grades a 9.8 and you sell it for $4k, that's a return of 20x on your initial investment.  How long would you have to wait for it to do that again?  Until the price is (or ever will be) $80,000.  That's assuming it just keeps going up which it almost definitely won't.  Wouldn't you rather take that $4k and buy other books that have a much better potential ROI?  

Don't believe the hype.  This too, shall pass.

I bought mine at the comic book store when it came out so my investment was $1.50. Even with the cost of joining CGC and grading / shipping etc. it’s all profit. Of course, I bought about 1,000 other comics that year that are almost worthless so you can consider that as my investment. It’s like buying 1,000 lottery tickets and hoping one hits.

I never bought comics to sell them, though, and if I sell this ASM 300 it will be the first I’ve ever sold. But I have other collecting goals now (such as original art) and this seems like too good an opportunity to pass up. $4000 would buy a nice piece of original art.

Another question- is it worth pressing this comic? How much more value would that add? 

Edited by TappanZee
clarity

18 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Man, these things are so much like tulips it's freaking me out.  Anybody holding on to one of these things is setting themselves up for serious regret later.  There are 13,000 copies certified in 9.2 are above.  And that's just the tip of the iceberg.  There are tens of thousands in collections that are raw and practically forgotten about.  You really won't like it when those start pouring in for the gold rush.  The speculators will run for the hills in a heartbeat and prices will plummet back to earth.

If you can find somebody else willing to pay you thousands of dollars for this book right now, I recommend doing so.  Very soon.  2c

I can assure you that I will have no regrets.

3 hours ago, Greatwhite said:

Why not?  :devil:

If there are fools willing to pay $7K for what is basically one of the most common CA books out there in HG, why not ask for $20K and see what happens.  :takeit:

If there was really somebody willing to bid $90K for a CGC 9.8 graded copy of TMNT 1 last summer when the previous prices were only in the mid to high $30K's, then you might find the same kind of fools willing to pay a paltry $20K for this fugly all-signed copy here since it's got that big number on the top left corner of the label.  :screwy:

:takeit:  :takeit:  the money, that is.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

More power to them...that’s insane...I still have one of the 2 copies I bought off the rack...Me and a buddy of mine combined to buy another friend’s collection for $5000 total in’95 but he wouldn’t include his Spider-Man collection with it...we even offered more money...AF 15, probably a 3.0, ASM 1-200 complete...don’t know how many raws fit in a short box but he had one 2/3 full of ASM 300...he bought out a collection from someone at the Dallas comic con in the early 90s...oddly enough he had like 50 copies of DD 158 also...wish I had the cash to make it worth his while back then but my wife wanted to kill me as it was...sorry for the TLDR...

5 minutes ago, JTD said:

More power to them...that’s insane...I still have one of the 2 copies I bought off the rack...Me and a buddy of mine combined to buy another friend’s collection for $5000 total in’95 but he wouldn’t include his Spider-Man collection with it...we even offered more money...AF 15, probably a 3.0, ASM 1-200 complete...don’t know how many raws fit in a short box but he had one 2/3 full of ASM 300...he bought out a collection from someone at the Dallas comic con in the early 90s...oddly enough he had like 50 copies of DD 158 also...wish I had the cash to make it worth his while back then but my wife wanted to kill me as it was...sorry for the TLDR...

Still a good story :) Probably almost could do the same with moderns, but there may be a lot of doubt around them, even as the "may have been a bit" towards ASM #300 that it would end up a $4,000 in 9.8 

It really is all quite fantastic!

On 11/27/2020 at 12:40 PM, lou_fine said:

Why not?  :devil:

If there are fools willing to pay $7K for what is basically one of the most common CA books out there in HG, why not ask for $20K and see what happens.  :takeit:

If there was really somebody willing to bid $90K for a CGC 9.8 graded copy of TMNT 1 last summer when the previous prices were only in the mid to high $30K's, then you might find the same kind of fools willing to pay a paltry $20K for this fugly all-signed copy here since it's got that big number on the top left corner of the label.  :screwy:

:takeit:  :takeit:  the money, that is.  lol

lf - Nice to see you all the way over here in Copper! 

37 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

So 2k per sig on 5 sigs

When the seller got the offer he had no problem taking off 5k on his asking price

Lol

This book is officially in the realm of ridiculous 

Where is the $5K allocated for "remark" in your napkin math :baiting:

On 11/27/2020 at 8:55 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Did the damn thing just sell?

5D7E0A10-8B14-47DA-AA2C-7302CB9742EF.jpeg

On 11/27/2020 at 10:11 PM, jjfversion1 said:

Looks like they took a best offer of 15k :whatthe: 

Any bets that they were not seriously expecting to get $20K for the book since I believe the high point for signed copies was only around the mid-$7K to date.  hm

They probably just threw a ridiculously high number out their to see if they could wheel in some sucker "lucky buyer" :devil: which is exactly what happened at double the current going rate.  :flipbait:   :banana:  :whee:

I reached out to the seller and verified payment was in fact received. It is also worth mentioning that this slab was a newsstand variant, had multiple signatures that were all not signed in a single day; rather spread out over a significant amount of time which is high risk, and lastly no jagged right side front cover.

So on a serious note, congrats to the seller. 

On 11/27/2020 at 6:17 AM, Greatwhite said:

Imagine paying that much for a book as common as this, with distracting scribbling all over the cover.  Never been a huge fan of autographs, specially now when it's a pay to play transaction, but if you want stan the man to sign a book he never worked on why not do it on the first page rather than the cover?