• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spidey run vs. key
4 4

Run vs. Key  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather own Amazing Spider-Man 1-300, or Amazing Fantasy 15?

• The run is more fun!
    • The key is for me!

61 posts in this topic

My 1-100 ASM run was destroyed. I have been focusing on the 100-328 run.

My criteria for 100-199 CGC 9.6 or better white pages.

200-328 CGC 9.8 White pages Newsstand and Direct.

I enjoy the hunt. If I just had an AF 15 I would be bored. If I sold my ASM and IM runs I could maybe get a 7.5-8.0 AF 15 I suppose. I have never owned one and probably never will. It is just too outside my price range and I would want something in the 8.5 range if I was going to buy one.

38 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

My 1-100 ASM run was destroyed. I have been focusing on the 100-328 run.

My criteria for 100-199 CGC 9.6 or better white pages.

200-328 CGC 9.8 White pages Newsstand and Direct.

I enjoy the hunt. If I just had an AF 15 I would be bored. If I sold my ASM and IM runs I could maybe get a 7.5-8.0 AF 15 I suppose. I have never owned one and probably never will. It is just too outside my price range and I would want something in the 8.5 range if I was going to buy one.

Destroyed?

While I enjoyed and always bought ASM from the racks as a boy, I never went nuts on collecting the run by any means. My focus was more on Daredevil, Thor, to a lesser extent Cap, and in general all things Kirby and Steranko. But those runs/collections are pretty much tapped out in terms of what I can afford. So I buy some cheap FF or other silver age books when I get lucky enough to win them.

I chose the AF15 key -- as I appreciate it for what it represents and that I might never even read all those books 1-300. Heck I barely read the ones I recently buy. It is a struggle for me to buy more books because I seem to just be accumulating them-- not enjoying them as much as I should.

9 hours ago, bb8 said:

The Spider-Man run is different than most others. There are many, many Spider-Man collectors looking to buy complete runs of Amazing up to a certain number. I would think the poll would be much more lopsided towards the key if you were to put, say, Tales of Suspense 39 or Hulk 1. Or B&B 28 vs a Justice League run, Showcase 4 vs a Flash run or Showcase 22 vs a GL run. Amazing Spider-Man commons haven't been affected as much as others during this key craze.

True! I dialled back my ASM run to 1-50 (from 700) but think 1-100 might be cool to put together. lol

11 minutes ago, Senormac said:

Or 1-129 :whistle:

True. I have a 121 and 129, so it wouldn’t be hard. It’s really about where I want to spend my disposable (finite) income.

On 6/19/2020 at 7:46 AM, piper said:

I enjoy having a smaller collection (1 Long Box, 6 CGC Boxes).  I wouldn't go back to boxes of drek...

I to am very choosy about what I put into my collection, so drek be dammed. 

As someone who owns ASM 1-400 I can say even though it's a really hard choice I would choose the run over AF15. To me collecting is all about completeness. Just having one standalone comic wouldn't be the same to me, even as epic as AF15 is. When it comes to the run I can't imagine not owning all of those huge villian 1st appearances, great storylines, and classic art. 

I did the 1-100 + AF15 run a few years ago.  It was a good run, still have most of them but sold off some of the graded keys, including my AF15 and ASM 1 to fund my Marvel Comics #1.  I must say, though, the thrill of the hunt for those issues was awesome.  I had the most fun and had the most focus of any time in my collecting life.  I think of restarting that same quest but the prices have made it a little harder...I could always sell that MC1 hm

As many have said, Spidey is surely different from the rest. This question still bugs me to this day. It was about 6 years ago when I sold my Spidey run (1 was a GRR, beat up 2, 7, 9, 13, 14-700) and I remember it like it was yesterday. The big decision- sell my run or keep my TOS39. I kept the TOS, and still have one (sold an SS for a 4.5 Blue). 

I’ve since built the run up, but focusing on 1-100. I’m missing many of the lower numbers, but I know I’ll find them as they are readily available. So, I chose the 1 key years ago, and today I would choose the run. Don’t get me wrong, my collection wouldn’t be complete without my AF, but all would agree there’s nothing like flipping through 1-100 and those early Ditko and Romita Spideys. Oh, and Stan’s storytelling is some of his best (my opinion). Is my overall opinion on key/run a tad jaded- yes. I think many would agree that once you’ve owned an AF15, no matter the length of time, your collection changes. If you love Spidey though, those issues are a must. Someone may be big on the keys, but there’s something truly special about a Spidey run. 

There was a time a while ago where I would’ve put a run together.  I’ve always wanted AF15 more though.  The run idea is definitely not going to happen since over the past few months I’ve decided that I only need about 5-8 books in my “collection”.  So, by default, AF15 would definitely be my choice now.  Not that it’s likely to happen.

The cool thing about owning a 1-100 run of ASM is that most of the books are very saleable.  Yes, it costs an arm and length to complete, but prices continue to go up.

I sold off a good chunk of my run to purchase other books.  It's taken a long time to find suitable copies to re-complete 1-50.  I know everyone speaks about how ASMs are very common, but to find VF or better slabbed copies is not as easy as it used to be.