• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Time to Sell Modern Age Comics?

20 posts in this topic

Hey guys.

My first post here and fairly new to comics (use to collect comics growing up, but I had no idea what I was doing :) ). I know this is might be somewhat of a vague or hard to answer question but when is the best time to sell modern age comics? I have a small collection that I would like to sell such as Absolute Carnage (signed by Ryan Stegman 1-4 and CGC graded), Wonder Woman 750 (Artgerm Virgin), Batman 89, Batman 92 (Artgerm Lau Card Stock Cover), Batman 92 (Jorge Jimenez Punchline Variant Cover), Hell Arisen # 3 etc. Should I sell these now that there is decent demand or should I wait for something to hype up these characters/comics like a related show or movie? I was thinking of at least holding onto Absolute Carnage until Venom 2 comes out next year. Any advice, suggestions or links would be extremely appreciated!!

No time like the present. Modern age books are in great abundance so if you suspect any kind of interest now and you want to sell them, you should do it now. Because then you run the risk of interest fading (I for one do not see Artgerm getting sustained appeal, but that's just me) and books losing their current worth.

Hold onto them forever as those are goldmines that you can pass onto your kids.

Seriously, it all depends.  Why are you selling or why are you collecting?  If you are selling for profit then i'd say strike when the iron is hot and there is speculation around a particular character.  Even then, we as collectors have been wrong before.  I'm sure many thought "sure i'll sell a 9.8 Ultimate Fallout 4 because its $350 now!" and then it shot up to over a 1000 and has now settled a bit back down to the reality.  The reality is that no collectors actually know and we are all taking a gamble when we buy/sell.  Buy what you love and you won't have that problem.  If debating on selling, sell when you need the money the most or when you believe speculation is at its peak.  Buying a book for cover price and then selling for double or triple is still a profit.

On 6/22/2020 at 4:41 PM, Aldizzi03 said:

Hey guys.

My first post here and fairly new to comics (use to collect comics growing up, but I had no idea what I was doing :) ). I know this is might be somewhat of a vague or hard to answer question but when is the best time to sell modern age comics? I have a small collection that I would like to sell such as Absolute Carnage (signed by Ryan Stegman 1-4 and CGC graded), Wonder Woman 750 (Artgerm Virgin), Batman 89, Batman 92 (Artgerm Lau Card Stock Cover), Batman 92 (Jorge Jimenez Punchline Variant Cover), Hell Arisen # 3 etc. Should I sell these now that there is decent demand or should I wait for something to hype up these characters/comics like a related show or movie? I was thinking of at least holding onto Absolute Carnage until Venom 2 comes out next year. Any advice, suggestions or links would be extremely appreciated!!

Check SOLD prices on a site like eBay, that will show you values.....

8 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

Hold onto them forever as those are goldmines that you can pass onto your kids.

Seriously, it all depends.  Why are you selling or why are you collecting?  If you are selling for profit then i'd say strike when the iron is hot and there is speculation around a particular character.  Even then, we as collectors have been wrong before.  I'm sure many thought "sure i'll sell a 9.8 Ultimate Fallout 4 because its $350 now!" and then it shot up to over a 1000 and has now settled a bit back down to the reality.  The reality is that no collectors actually know and we are all taking a gamble when we buy/sell.  Buy what you love and you won't have that problem.  If debating on selling, sell when you need the money the most or when you believe speculation is at its peak.  Buying a book for cover price and then selling for double or triple is still a profit.

That's what I speculating but wanted to make sure. Yeah it's just to make a little money on the side. However, I have noticed that certain artists tend sell for more. Any particular artists that are easy to flip or always sell well? 

9 hours ago, Aldizzi03 said:

That's what I speculating but wanted to make sure. Yeah it's just to make a little money on the side. However, I have noticed that certain artists tend sell for more. Any particular artists that are easy to flip or always sell well? 

It really all depends.  Check eBay sold listings to see which artists pop up often.  You have 3 posts and are asking for financial advice on flipping/selling comics.  Come back when you've done a bit more reading.

4 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

It really all depends.  Check eBay sold listings to see which artists pop up often.  You have 3 posts and are asking for financial advice on flipping/selling comics.  Come back when you've done a bit more reading.

Touché :( 

Some things to think about:

1. Movies/shows help drive value. If you have a first appearance or a hot character and a movie is approaching, might be best to sell close to movie time. 

2. Artists go up and go down. If an artist is hot, sell. Chances are they will come down once everyone jumps on board the next hot artist.

3. Recommended reads are hot at the time. If everyone is saying "hey this arc or run is great!", people want to get it. Sell during this time because the longer you wait, the more likely people will have already read it or bought the trades so the demand will drop fast. 

4. Are you selling just to sell? Never sell just to sell. Always have a good reason. 

Punchline has created a buzz. People like the character. If that buzz sustains, the sales will reflect that as you will see consistency. If buzz wanes, well it was just a flash in the pan character. Maybe a movie comes up in the next two decades involving her and interest is renewed. These are things no one can predict. Personally, the books you listed have negative interest to me so if I did own them, selling them ASAP for money towards a nice Silver Age or Bronze Age book would be priority. 

Edited by comicginger1789

On 6/24/2020 at 5:53 AM, Keys_Collector said:

To the original poster... You gotta understand we get a hundred of these type of questions per year. Information can come at a premium and old school collectors and dealers have paid for this education with lots of time and money. We are wont to simply give it away. And yet we do... All the time... If you take a few moments to read through the message boards. 

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er

On 6/23/2020 at 8:35 PM, Aldizzi03 said:

However, I have noticed that certain artists tend sell for more. Any particular artists that are easy to flip or always sell well? 

You already have a sense for this just based on the books you mentioned in your OP. 

You touched on one very collectible artist (Lau), and one hot newly released book (Bats Punchline variant).

The ability to time the market is one of the great joys and frustrations of spec'ing comics! So IF your just spec'ing, THEN sell at a decent profit and flip that money back into new flips and do the same. Flippers with this strategy argue that even if they leave money on the table in the mid-term by not holding out for a higher price, the smaller increments they made on the multiple flips SINCE will make up for it. 

Also this article: https://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg07.html 

On 6/23/2020 at 8:54 AM, William-James88 said:

No time like the present. Modern age books are in great abundance so if you suspect any kind of interest now and you want to sell them, you should do it now. Because then you run the risk of interest fading (I for one do not see Artgerm getting sustained appeal, but that's just me) and books losing their current worth.

Hell Arisen 3 is the speculators dream book. It has a print run of 35k, about a third of Batman 89 or Batman 92. No one was reading Hell Arisen and stores didn’t order many or any at all. Hence the drama that ensued with shop owners either holding onto copies for secondary market or forcing buyers to purchase the first two books in series in order to get a copy. Don’t sell that book now. That one you want to wait for the first trailer, the movie appearance. WB recently reserved her for film use. The Punchline hype train is real.

Edited by RJ MacReady

On 6/26/2020 at 1:52 AM, RJ MacReady said:

Lol ignore that dude he’s clearly deluded himself into thinking he is above you. Insecure  internet nerds can unfortunately turn out that way. Ask all the questions you want, friend.

dwight-1.gif

On 6/24/2020 at 1:15 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Some things to think about:

1. Movies/shows help drive value. If you have a first appearance or a hot character and a movie is approaching, might be best to sell close to movie time. 

2. Artists go up and go down. If an artist is hot, sell. Chances are they will come down once everyone jumps on board the next hot artist.

3. Recommended reads are hot at the time. If everyone is saying "hey this arc or run is great!", people want to get it. Sell during this time because the longer you wait, the more likely people will have already read it or bought the trades so the demand will drop fast. 

4. Are you selling just to sell? Never sell just to sell. Always have a good reason. 

Punchline has created a buzz. People like the character. If that buzz sustains, the sales will reflect that as you will see consistency. If buzz wanes, well it was just a flash in the pan character. Maybe a movie comes up in the next two decades involving her and interest is renewed. These are things no one can predict. Personally, the books you listed have negative interest to me so if I did own them, selling them ASAP for money towards a nice Silver Age or Bronze Age book would be priority. 

This is the type of advice I was looking for. Thank you!!!

On 6/25/2020 at 8:33 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

You already have a sense for this just based on the books you mentioned in your OP. 

You touched on one very collectible artist (Lau), and one hot newly released book (Bats Punchline variant).

The ability to time the market is one of the great joys and frustrations of spec'ing comics! So IF your just spec'ing, THEN sell at a decent profit and flip that money back into new flips and do the same. Flippers with this strategy argue that even if they leave money on the table in the mid-term by not holding out for a higher price, the smaller increments they made on the multiple flips SINCE will make up for it. 

Also this article: https://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg07.html 

Thanks!! I'm reading the link you sent!