• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is Your “Obtainable” Grail Book?
4 4

107 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

the 1956 obtainable grail that i ponied up for at a comic con...

DSCN3552.JPG

I, oddly enough, found a coverless copy of that and then upgraded to one with a cover within a month, back in the late 90's.  I found a good home for the coverless copy and still have the complete one.

I've said something like this before:  When people ask me what my "best" book is, I vary the answer depending on who is asking.  Most people, who don't necessarily know a lot about comics, get told Mad #1 or sometimes even New Mutants #98, as something they can understand.  The comic collectors, I'll normally say Adventure #247.  But for the real hard core experts, Sugar & Spike #1 is my REAL answer if I had to pick just one.  Most people, even a lot of comic collectors, don't get the significance.  But for those of us who know about it, it is the very definition of a Grail book.

10 minutes ago, Primetime said:

those are the best panels from that story in the 29 :x

That’s good to know. It cracks me up every time I look at the panels where Batman drives up to the crime scene in his own personal jalopy and has to decide where to park it before he can embark on his latest caper. 

hey @Primetime, good job on the sale of your junky old 1938 funny book aka ACTION 7!!

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

I got a Captain Marvel Jr 1 this past year, which was the answer to this question to that point in time. Got it here on the boards too! From a WTB! w00t w00t

Grail is a bit strong, but the next GA book that I would like is Master Comics 28. An upgrade of Master 36 would be nice too.

It is funny. I am buying Planets, as many are. That was my stated goal about 1.5 years ago and I have maybe 18 or so. No rivets. But I have also been skirting the Archie and Captain Marvel Jr books as well. In fact I seem to be getting a few Mary Marvels too. WOW is pretty awesome. And boy that Captain Midnight sure is fine too. It seems I am derailing my own plans. But they sure look nice and slowly the pile of fun GA grows.

Edited by Bird

26 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That’s good to know. It cracks me up every time I look at the panels where Batman drives up to the crime scene in his own personal jalopy and has to decide where to park it before he can embark on his latest caper. 

hey @Primetime, good job on the sale of your junky old 1938 funny book aka ACTION 7!!

yah, splash page to Tec 37 shows him in his gangster mobile LOL. Thanks Clark...the Action 7 went to a happy, new owner :acclaim:

38 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That's almost as bad as Batman turning down the wrong street and deciding to knock at a residential house for directions. (Detective 37).

7 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

That's almost as bad as Batman turning down the wrong street and deciding to knock at a residential house for directions. (Detective 37).

No way. I guess this was before gps

Sounds like early ‘60s Marvel Stan Lee superheros who, we learn for the first time, have the same problems as us mere mortals

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 6/28/2020 at 1:43 PM, OtherEric said:

I, oddly enough, found a coverless copy of that and then upgraded to one with a cover within a month, back in the late 90's.  I found a good home for the coverless copy and still have the complete one.

I've said something like this before:  When people ask me what my "best" book is, I vary the answer depending on who is asking.  Most people, who don't necessarily know a lot about comics, get told Mad #1 or sometimes even New Mutants #98, as something they can understand.  The comic collectors, I'll normally say Adventure #247.  But for the real hard core experts, Sugar & Spike #1 is my REAL answer if I had to pick just one.  Most people, even a lot of comic collectors, don't get the significance.  But for those of us who know about it, it is the very definition of a Grail book.

👍👍👍

5 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I posted my crazy opinion earlier in this thread opining how, as the price of keys escape earth’s gravity, individual pages will become a thing. This is how grails will once again be obtainable. 

well, I have an update!

This was being offered on the Bay in the old style auction format. I’d stumbled upon the last 20 minutes of a 10 day auction, and the last minute was intense with bidding activity.  I went back after the smoke cleared and counted 11 bids in the last 2 minutes. Reminded me of the good old days when eBay was still eBay.

this is the actual page that introduced the world to one of its most famous villains! And it’s now mine. Mine, I tells ya. MINE!

and yes, I am just tasteless enough that I posted this twice. Both here and in the “Batman #1 Club“ string. So sue me

122ACDF1-0BC9-48F5-9FAE-92CBE0FD9637.jpeg

4024865B-30C5-4C17-84E4-9F81CC9766C1.jpeg

Some pick ups, you just need to double post.  I would say this easily qualifies.  Gratz on the grail page!

On 6/26/2020 at 9:18 PM, piper said:

What does a restored MC1 go for these days?

2 hours ago, quicksilver said:

I think the point is that it doesn't...I can't recall the last time I saw one offered for sale.

It is kind of interesting that according to the census there are 33 restored to 30 universals (no qualified) although with CPR, I doubt it is accurate.  When looking at GPA, it has been quite some time for a recorded sale of a restored MC 1 but of course that does not include CL, CC, private sale, etc.