• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored CGC books in new 'character' blue labels.
8 8

492 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

You shoulda went with the whole, vitamin D milk.   Pedigree label.  

That would have produced undesirable results.   :p

3 hours ago, dylanthekid said:
4 hours ago, bc said:

Do you believe that book is an 8.0?

Yes. It's an ugly 8.0, but it is an 8.0

sn.gif.c41191279ace846b1343d7ea0b3add7c.gif

8 hours ago, dylanthekid said:

No, I just need to prove you knew something was not true, & you said it anyway with the intent of causing me harm.

Intent of causing harm is not enough for civil court. You have to show you suffered a financial harm in order to win any judgment. 

9 hours ago, dylanthekid said:

Trimming is NOT restoration. It is damage, just like married pages & should be noted. Yeah, of course if you take 1/2 of a statement & blow out of context you are gonna make a good guy sound like voldy!

For example:

Let's eat kids.

Let's eat, kids.

What? I didn't say anything on the post you quoted about trimming nor does it say that on the label, although i do see how the person I quoted and commented on could be mistaken that way.20200801_025027.thumb.jpg.fe9ab46c50bdaac939c4f73712205efc.jpg

To clarify what I was referring , I quoted Guardian Comics  ,but was only referring to the part where he mentioned " restoration is when you add stuff" to which my comment was directed . I was not debating whether trimming is or is not restoration.  I was saying that adding pieces does not ( obviously in cgcs book ) make a book restored.  

The actual label on the book I quoted is the superman 1 cgc Universal 0.5 that has the note " Logo & Superman images from original cover taped to color copy. COVERLESS " "Tape on centerfold ." Which is their exact punctuation.   

So adding a COLOR COPY  to a COVERLESS book does not equal restored when you TAPE ORIGINAL PIECES to that COPY. Which is what I was commenting and cringing at.

If I were to send in a book that has tape on it MOST of the time it comes back CONSERVED. 

If I send in a book that has a COLOR COPY COVER to a COVERLESS original it either comes back as RESTORED or QUALIFIED  depending on method of attachment. 

To be fair I really do not have any MAJOR issues with this book as it is neat. I was just surprised at CGCs choice in UNIVERSAL LABEL . Nothing to do with the book itself or who ever assembled it.

On 7/31/2020 at 6:36 AM, arexcrooke said:

There is a part of me that believes this is just a step below the micro trimming/pressing fiasco from about 10-12 years ago where Redhook and a couple other astute boardoes caught people monkeying with books. 
the intent is the same. To defraud 

Nowhere even close as the source of this problem is CGC's lack of quality control here and also limited to a very tiny fractional number of the books slabbed by CGC.  In addition, anybody with any knowledge would know right away that this is NOT an acceptable practice.

What took place about 15 years ago when Dupchak, Masterchief, and Red Hook revealed what was happening behind the scenes in terms of the whole pressing fiasco was a complete game changer within the hobby as clearly evident by the fact that it has spawned an entire industry that still florishes to this day.  Completely different since CGC was fully complicit in the whole affair by letting people in the know get away scot free with making a whole ton of money through artificial manipulation of books using a practice that was thought by an unsuspecting marketplace to be restoration at the time and NOT AT ALL acceptable.  Needless to say, they were then forced to announced retroactively  :news:  that this former nefarious practice was indeed acceptable and "had" always been considered to be acceptable after being caught with their panties down around their ankles through before and after scanned images of the same books.  (tsk)  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine