• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Better investment (keep vs. sell): Avengers #1 or Hulk 181?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

Hulk 181 would probably be the quicker sale (if priced reasonably) and the easier to replace.  They're in pretty much every auction at many grades.

Would love to see both if you cared to share!

Dan

In my opinion, If you are looking to replace one of the books down the road Hulk 181 will continue to appreciate in value especially when Wolverine  and the X-Men are introduced into the MCU the book will go up quite a bit. The Avengers 1 has been pretty steady for awhile and would be easier to replace. 

8 hours ago, Shaun C89 said:

In my opinion, If you are looking to replace one of the books down the road Hulk 181 will continue to appreciate in value especially when Wolverine  and the X-Men are introduced into the MCU the book will go up quite a bit. The Avengers 1 has been pretty steady for awhile and would be easier to replace. 

I agree. 

I like the A1 better personally,  but the Hulk 181 never seems to slow down.

I would sell the Avengers 1, keep the 181. 

I'm not sure about this ever exponential increasing value of 181 that everyone is talking about  ....  I made a decision to sell my 181, but I was good with it because I felt that my analysis was that 1) it had gone up an INSANE amount since I bought it in 2009 (it was a Universal 9.2) --- that is not debatable --- and 2) when I sold it a couple years ago it hadn't really moved upwards very much in a while, and looking now in 2020 compared to 2018 it still hasn't really moved.  Am I missing something ?

Of course it will go up naturally over time, I assume, but doesn't it look like it has actually plateaued a bit for a while now ....   (shrug)

16 hours ago, fishbone said:

I'm not sure about this ever exponential increasing value of 181 that everyone is talking about  ....  I made a decision to sell my 181, but I was good with it because I felt that my analysis was that 1) it had gone up an INSANE amount since I bought it in 2009 (it was a Universal 9.2) --- that is not debatable --- and 2) when I sold it a couple years ago it hadn't really moved upwards very much in a while, and looking now in 2020 compared to 2018 it still hasn't really moved.  Am I missing something ?

Of course it will go up naturally over time, I assume, but doesn't it look like it has actually plateaued a bit for a while now ....   (shrug)

I would tend to agree.  And predicting which books will get hot is really really difficult.  

But Avengers 1 (along with DD1) have always been big time sleepers in my opinion.  While X1, FF1, and Hulk1, have had their day, A1 and DD1 have kind of just chugged along. And there are reasons for that.  In my opinion,  and purely from speculation, I think Hulk 181 has more demand and will continue to increase at a faster speed. 

To add 1 more note,  I picked up a book from Ted at superworld in MA a few months back.  He is a pretty big dealer and much more connected to the market than me. He said in passing, over the years,  the two books that always have a strong demand are AF15 and Hulk 181. 

So you are right, it may have platued a bit, but if we are thinking long term upside,  my $$ is on 181. 

On 7/28/2020 at 12:37 PM, Readymade Breakup said:

I'd put them both up for sale and keep whichever one doesn't sell. Good luck!!!

Exactly what I was going to say.  You could also go with what books means more to you.  Which would you rather have in your collection right now?  That could help figure out which one you should move.

I'd say that the 181 should move fast as that's similar to ASM300 in that it always sells regardless of how many copies are out there.  IMO it's the better cover and has a 1st app (debated) where as Avengers 1 has the 1st app of the team but not any individual 1st apps.  I can see 181 having an uptick with any Hulk/Wolverine MCU news while Avengers may have already had their day meaning the price should stabilize from here on out. 

It's always a guessing game so who knows in the end which one is a better "investment".  Collect what you love and you rarely ever lose.

5 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I would tend to agree.  And predicting which books will get hot is really really difficult.  

But Avengers 1 (along with DD1) have always been big time sleepers in my opinion.  While X1, FF1, and Hulk1, have had their day, A1 and DD1 have kind of just chugged along. And there are reasons for that.  In my opinion,  and purely from speculation, I think Hulk 181 has more demand and will continue to increase at a faster speed. 

To add 1 more note,  I picked up a book from Ted at superworld in MA a few months back.  He is a pretty big dealer and much more connected to the market than me. He said in passing, over the years,  the two books that always have a strong demand are AF15 and Hulk 181. 

So you are right, it may have platued a bit, but if we are thinking long term upside,  my $$ is on 181. 

fair enough, and i 100% agree with the DD#1 reference, if you got it hold it !

4 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

Exactly what I was going to say.  You could also go with what books means more to you.  Which would you rather have in your collection right now?  That could help figure out which one you should move.

I'd say that the 181 should move fast as that's similar to ASM300 in that it always sells regardless of how many copies are out there.  IMO it's the better cover and has a 1st app (debated) where as Avengers 1 has the 1st app of the team but not any individual 1st apps.  I can see 181 having an uptick with any Hulk/Wolverine MCU news while Avengers may have already had their day meaning the price should stabilize from here on out. 

It's always a guessing game so who knows in the end which one is a better "investment".  Collect what you love and you rarely ever lose.

Gotta be honest, a big reason I sold the 181 (and the IH#1 at the same same) is 1) I made big multiples on both since I bought them and 2) just not a fan of Hulk or Wolverine in books or movies. And I am one who loves the cover to Av#1.

Edited by fishbone

1 minute ago, fishbone said:

Gotta be honest, a big reason I sold the 181 (and the IH#1 at the same same) is 1) I made big multiples on both since I bought them and 2) just not a fan of Hulk or Wolverine in books or movies

Funny how perspective differs from collector to collector.  I've never owned Avengers #1 at any point in the past 30 years because I don't care too much for that team while I have Hulk 1 and 181 since they are two of my favorite Marvel characters and all time favorite covers of mine.