• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Else Collecting 9.8 CPV, APV, or Mark Jewelers?
3 3

21 posts in this topic

I’d be all over some darkhawk if they existed

Currently working on a high-grade Dazzler, Transformers, Punisher, and Uncanny X-Men CPV runs.  I've only submitted two for grading.  Dazzler #23 and Uncanny X-Men #193 both came back 9.8.  I have some other random CPVs, like the X-Factor 1-7 (#6 is a 9.6), Dakota North 1-2 (I'll probably submit those.  #2 is a lock at 9.8), some Spidey, FF, and Cap books.  I only have a few MJ variants, but none higher than a VF and they are some of the DC horror titles.  Still need one X-Men 35-cent variant, and trying to complete my UK price variant run of X-Men as well.  No 9.8's are likely to be found in my UKPV run, unfortunately.  

Great books! Thanks for sharing

I thought the search for high grade newsstands was intense but this is next level. I went from buying 1-3 a month to most likely 1-2 a year. The high grade keys are few and far between

I don’t collect Bronze Age books but MCS listed an ASM #162 MJ 9.8 (1st Jigsaw) about a month ago. It lasted a couple of hours

Edited by chasehasadog82

9.8 DC Mark Jewelers?   Not easy.   I have approximately 670 DC Mark Jewelers in the titles of Batman, Detective, Superman, Action and JLA.  Plus a few hundred more random DC Mark Jeweler variants.   I have made it a goal to get them all in FN or better, and many of them are in really high grade.   But 9.8 DC's with a Mark Jeweler insert are super hard to find.  They were printed and sent all the way overseas, sat on a rack in a military PX, and then somehow made it back to the United States to get graded.   After all of that, it would be hard for the comic book to make a 9.8 grade.  Out of approximately 1,000 that I own, I suspect only 1 to 10 of them would grade 9.8.  I suspect those super high-grade comic books somehow escaped the normal process of sitting on a rack to be sold.

As far as slabbing MJs goes, I have bought slabbed ones just to get them, but I immediately free them from their cage.

97410564_MJlabels.thumb.jpg.d5ce0c6a56b095fa5e794c89798e844b.jpg

Edited by Cpt Kirk

I’ve always been a Marvel guy but there was a time when I was collecting Swamp Thing newsstands. I just took a look out of curiosity and I see that there are no 9.8 CPVs of #21 or #37 listed on the census. Maybe some slipped through the cracks before CGC started denoting them on the label

You can add this one to your list of high grade comic books with odd inserts.  It is Action Comics 484 with the cellophane insert.  This one still has an unopened cellophane packed stapled into the comic book.  The cello package contains a one of 4 different Superman posters.  I would be very surprised to see another one come along in this grade or higher. 

993005042_action484withcelloinsertCGC9.4.thumb.JPG.7bb132cc43b93588a147793f72021c74.JPG

You can learn more about it by checking out the following post:

2 hours ago, chasehasadog82 said:

Cool set! I was able to track down two 9.8 ASM #316 MJ’s that sold on ebay within the past two years. One buyer wasn’t selling and the other seller wouldn’t respond to my messages. I’m hoping a 9.8 #299 pops up sooner than later 

Thanks, I sold my ASM #316 CGC 9.8 three years ago, hard comic to replace

Edited by nesqrick2

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 3:56 AM, blowout said:

Is there much interest in UK price variants? Are they as sought after and/or rare as the Canadian ones?

I think overall less interest, BUT also think harder to find in the highest grades.  So the answer is as always....depends.  I think generally with these oddities the ones you are looking for are keys and semi-keys of course, but also titles or storylines (or covers) that some sort of competionist or superfan would want.  Who would be interested and why, that drives demand (of course supply impacts price).