• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FF #48 Press no Press
2 2

28 posts in this topic

Your best bet is to send your good books to a skilled presser and let him decide what should be pressed.  In general there's usually some defect that might improve and your cost/reward basis means high value books should be pressed.  You don't want to pass on pressing and wonder if that 4.0 could have been a 4.5.

35 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Your best bet is to send your good books to a skilled presser and let him decide what should be pressed.  In general there's usually some defect that might improve and your cost/reward basis means high value books should be pressed.  You don't want to pass on pressing and wonder if that 4.0 could have been a 4.5.

Do you have any favorites that you use?

55 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Are the staples tight? If yes, then press.

4.5 IMO.

I really need to post photos with these scans. I had forgotten, but yes, there are some tears at staples and I wont be pressing it. I gave it a 4.0. Next time I'll post photos.

After hearing all the comments this morning, and knowing that I have thousands and thousands of comics to sell, I'm buying my own press. For the cost of 10 books I can buy one, I'm a very skilled craftsman and I have 40+ boxes to sell. I also have plenty of books to practice on. Now I just need to know which one to get.

Edited by AmbassadorSlip

1 hour ago, AmbassadorSlip said:

After hearing all the comments this morning, and knowing that I have thousands and thousands of comics to sell, I'm buying my own press. For the cost of 10 books I can buy one, I'm a very skilled craftsman and I have 40+ boxes to sell. I also have plenty of books to practice on. Now I just need to know which one to get.

The best you can afford....Seal is great...try to find a used one.

4 minutes ago, allthingskryptonite said:

I don't recommend spending 2000$ on your first press. You can get a cheaper one within 300$. Look at eBay, there will be many to choose from.

I am looking at the $500 range, trying to figure out how cheap I can get one for without compromising quality. I'll get a cheaper one, and make it pay for the better one. Which is kinda like making a guy work to train his replacement, but luckily heat presses don't have a union.... Yet.

Edited by AmbassadorSlip

40 boxes of books is alot of work to sell. 

Not sure what the collection looks like but it may be worthwhile to send the top books to be pressed and graded,  then selling the rest as is? 

Maybe another way to approach this is,  how many books were you planning to press and grade? 

1 hour ago, KCOComics said:

40 boxes of books is alot of work to sell. 

Not sure what the collection looks like but it may be worthwhile to send the top books to be pressed and graded,  then selling the rest as is? 

Maybe another way to approach this is,  how many books were you planning to press and grade? 

I've been selling comics for over 25 years, most of the time as a hobby, but I have bought out comic shops before. I'm not saying I'm great at it, but it's just one of the things I do. I've been collecting since about 1979, but I'm not really keeping much anymore. I'd been wanting to start pressing and just putting it off. I just bought a press, so I'll get the rest of the stuff and try it out. I'll press what I would send to someone else to be pressed, and then the only thing I can't do is dry clean. I've always wanted to learn more about restoration and preservation, this is just a step towards that now that I have the time.