• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Number written on cover

27 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

In mid grades like this, a number written on the cover shouldn't affect the grade much unless it's prominent (LARGE) and/or written in magic marker or something else that causes bleed through on the cover.

So let's say CGC was between a 6.5 and a 7.0, the scale may be tipped to the lower grade because of the pen writing. I hope this helps, and congratulations. An attractive copy...  (thumbsu

I’m surprised they don’t take the writing into consideration for the grade, or at least has a decent impact on the grade. Graders notes didn’t even mention it. 
I’m definitely happy with the grade  Thanks for all your input!

On 8/10/2020 at 6:43 AM, KCOComics said:

I'll start by saying, I'm not an expert grader, and I spend allot of time between here and the "hey buddy, can you spare a grade" area trying to get better.  Others, with more experience, may feel differently than me.  

Writing on the cover can have varying degrees of impact.  Is it written in pen or pencil? 

Something like this isn't to intrusive so I factored it in very little in the grading.  If it's written in pen, maybe I would want to be a little harder. 

If it was written in a magic marker that bled through the pages, that's a bigger problem. 

When you are looking at GA and SA books seeing names written on the covers was pretty common. Its just part of the books history and unless it's totally intrusive it's not a big detriment to the grade. 

Do intrusive "Stan Lee" signatures affect the grade?

I know that seeing names like "Larson" and "Recil Macon" will definitely increase the price of a book - I can't say what they do for the grade though  lol

Edited by pemart1966

11 hours ago, KCOComics said:

Others may feel differently, but I think it's a solid 6.5 regardless of the 14. 

That's the great thing about collecting, we all have our own preferences.  I'd rather have a lower grade, say 5.0, with a few more spine ticks than have that writing on the cover which takes away from the overall appeal of the artwork on the cover which makes that book so appealing to begin with.  2c

17 hours ago, Binh Tran said:

I’m surprised they don’t take the writing into consideration for the grade, or at least has a decent impact on the grade. Graders notes didn’t even mention it. 
I’m definitely happy with the grade  Thanks for all your input!

It's not that they don't take it into consideration. It's that, based upon the totality of the circumstances, with all defects included, it is a 6.5.  You could add a few more defects, in my opinion, and it still would be a 6.5. It is not a situation where each defect reduces the number grade no matter what. There is a cumulative effect, and an overall eye appeal factor as well.

On 8/24/2020 at 7:12 PM, Binh Tran said:

Just want to update the thread. Got a 6.5 Universal grade. 

That's awesome! It's the highest grade the book could have gotten, so very happy that's what CGC went with. Happy for you that is.

And I didn't think the number detracted, it wasn't what was bringing the grade down anyways. It's very hard for something to detract from the awesomeness that it is a 181.

PS: Anyone else always found it hilarious that the wendigo is in the back there going "hey guys, remember me? I'm in this issue too!"

Edited by William-James88