• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Biggest grading surprise you've gotten from CGC
1 1

52 posts in this topic

I bought this and the other issues through number four - never read them and had no interest in the title.  Mine was the first graded 9.8 (no press) - the others also came back as 9.8s.  All were subbed before the explosion in prices.  What surprised me the most on these was I subbed them through a con directly to CGC.  I had completed an invoice for comics, not mags.  When CGC took them, they were nice and said they should go on a Mag invoice and they would take care of it which was great but, I admit, he wasn't too gentle in handling them.  He gathered them up along with my other submissions.  I could feel the tick marks sprout up.  Luckily I had packed them well in mylar with plenty of backing board.  Just showing the #1.

0801130850061.jpg

1 hour ago, telerites said:

I bought this and the other issues through number four - never read them and had no interest in the title.  Mine was the first graded 9.8 (no press) - the others also came back as 9.8s.  All were subbed before the explosion in prices.  What surprised me the most on these was I subbed them through a con directly to CGC.  I had completed an invoice for comics, not mags.  When CGC took them, they were nice and said they should go on a Mag invoice and they would take care of it which was great but, I admit, he wasn't too gentle in handling them.  He gathered them up along with my other submissions.  I could feel the tick marks sprout up.  Luckily I had packed them well in mylar with plenty of backing board.  Just showing the #1.

0801130850061.jpg

I never collected this... after my time. But I just looked it up on eBay.

One of these 9.8's just sold... for $80,000. 

Holy Crap GIFs | Tenor

3 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I never collected this... after my time. But I just looked it up on eBay.

One of these 9.8's just sold... for $80,000. 

I have related before how I had interest in this but the LCS guy that I knew pretty good said I should buy them so I did and never read them.  I was in college at the time and I actually got out of collecting in the mid 80s.  Never have bought a new comic since and the only time I have gone to a LCS is to take my great nephews to FCBD.

3 hours ago, telerites said:

0801130850061.jpg

So, are you planning on selling this set and ...well...just retire and enjoy life! Your set of TMNT is FANTASTIC! 

Biggest bad surprise was sending in a Amazing Spider-man 50.  I thought I had a really good shot at a 9.2 came back 9.4 PLOD!  :cry:   I sold it pretty quickly right after that.  This was years and years ago.

Another negative was a Conan #1 ..Thought for sure it was a solid 8.5 maybe 9.0...8.0 at worst...came back 6.5.  There was lite staining on the back cover I just simply overlooked...curse me for life. I just recently sold it.  I have a 9.6 copy so this could go.

Nice surprises are sent in a Tales of Suspense 65 and 66 thinking 8.5 , they both came back 9.4...Yeah!  This was many years ago too.. Still got 'em. 

Edited by musicmeta