Help and information required
4 4

33 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, SOTIcollector said:

Before sending for grading, you may also want to learn a little bit about pressing.  Hold a comic at an angle where the light reflects off the cover gloss, and look for small bends or folds that don't break the color.  If there are significant non-color-breaking creases, having the comics professionally pressed has the potential to increase the grade they are assigned, and thereby increase their sale value.  

Thanks for the info. I did what you said and there are not any marks on the front or the back that effect the sheen of the cover, so I will take that as it doesn't need to be pressed. The pages are off white and smell old, but I can't find any other damage. Can't wait to get them scored now. I hope I can move them on to someone who will really appreciate their age, content and condition. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The TMNT #1  is either a first or second print.  There is no blood on the T.  3rd and subsequent printings have blood on the T.  Carefully open the cover and take a look at the inside back cover.  T-shirt ad = 2nd Print, Gobbldygook Ad = 1st print.  Either way, both printings  are worth thousands in high grade.  Even low  grade copies of the 2nd print are going for high hundreds.  Worth it to send to CGC  for a grade. The #2  also looks like a nice  1st print. There's ways to tell if it's  counterfeit or not (also has  value) but I can't tell from that picture.  Not worth THAT much,  maybe $200 or so in high grade. Less in lower. The  turtle mania depends on the back, If it's just the two turtles on the back it's worth a  hundred bucks or so.  If it's signed and numbered on the back, it's a silver edition and worth thousands.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question about colour of the pages. They are brownish. How does the colour of the pages effect the grade value 9.5 or 9.8 etc. I have seen a 9.6 with white spots on the cover by the staples but with white pages. I can deduce that my copy has no marks on the spine or cover, but does have brownish pages. Any thoughts?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2020 at 1:03 PM, jaybuck43 said:

The TMNT #1  is either a first or second print.  There is no blood on the T.  3rd and subsequent printings have blood on the T.  Carefully open the cover and take a look at the inside back cover.  T-shirt ad = 2nd Print, Gobbldygook Ad = 1st print.  Either way, both printings  are worth thousands in high grade.  Even low  grade copies of the 2nd print are going for high hundreds.  Worth it to send to CGC  for a grade. The #2  also looks like a nice  1st print. There's ways to tell if it's  counterfeit or not (also has  value) but I can't tell from that picture.  Not worth THAT much,  maybe $200 or so in high grade. Less in lower. The  turtle mania depends on the back, If it's just the two turtles on the back it's worth a  hundred bucks or so.  If it's signed and numbered on the back, it's a silver edition and worth thousands.  

Has the Gobbldyggok advert. :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2020 at 7:27 PM, dmac007 said:

I have a question about colour of the pages. They are brownish. How does the colour of the pages effect the grade value 9.5 or 9.8 etc. I have seen a 9.6 with white spots on the cover by the staples but with white pages. I can deduce that my copy has no marks on the spine or cover, but does have brownish pages. Any thoughts?

Probably a 9.7 with the brown pages

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2020 at 7:27 PM, dmac007 said:

I have a question about colour of the pages. They are brownish. How does the colour of the pages effect the grade value 9.5 or 9.8 etc. I have seen a 9.6 with white spots on the cover by the staples but with white pages. I can deduce that my copy has no marks on the spine or cover, but does have brownish pages. Any thoughts?

Unless something has drastically changed recently CGC does not factor page color into the grade they assign. The page quality may have an effect on the grade but since these are newer books that should not ding it much.

Page color will be denoted on the CGC label & the market will determine what a potential buyer will give you $ wise. It factors into "eye appeal".

Not being rude but for grades above 9.0 theres no 9.5 . It goes in .2 increments. (9.0/9.2/9.4/9.6/9.8/9.9/10.0) below that it in .5 increments(8.5/8.0 etc.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, H0RR0RSH0W said:

Not being rude but for grades above 9.0 theres no 9.5 . It goes in .2 increments. (9.0/9.2/9.4/9.6/9.8/9.9/10.0) below that it in .5 increments(8.5/8.0 etc.)

There are actually Wizard First 9.5's floating around out there but generally speaking, you are correct.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2020 at 9:59 AM, Keys_Collector said:

A bit extreme to tell him about the 9.8 graded TMNT Gocollect price, no?  Do you always tell people their books may be worth 9.8 graded prices? 

He has 1 post and somehow found his way on a comic forum and registered a new account when he could have asked anywhere else or did any type of google search to help him find info.  You must understand where the jokes come from....

"He has 1 post and somehow found his way on a comic forum and registered a new account when he could have asked anywhere else or did any type of google search to help him find info."

All I can say is, I would rather speak to you experts with a little effort on my part, than rely on Google. I really appreciate all the info and help you guys have given freely. It goes to show that when like minded people with the same interest get together, good things happen. Thank you all. :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2020 at 7:53 PM, dmac007 said:

"He has 1 post and somehow found his way on a comic forum and registered a new account when he could have asked anywhere else or did any type of google search to help him find info."

All I can say is, I would rather speak to you experts with a little effort on my part, than rely on Google. I really appreciate all the info and help you guys have given freely. It goes to show that when like minded people with the same interest get together, good things happen. Thank you all. :) 

That's good to hear.  Most of us are here to help but there are often people who come here either as trolls or to ask a question they can easily find online and then disappear forever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

That's good to hear.  Most of us are here to help but there are often people who come here either as trolls or to ask a question they can easily find online and then disappear forever.

I don't want to sound mercenary, but if I sell these (and it's a big IF right now), where would be the best place. My aim is to try and move these to a collector and not a hedge fund. If it does score high and has an intrinsic collectors value, I would prefer that option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dmac007 said:

I don't want to sound mercenary, but if I sell these (and it's a big IF right now), where would be the best place. My aim is to try and move these to a collector and not a hedge fund. If it does score high and has an intrinsic collectors value, I would prefer that option.

Sell the TMNT 1st print to me at a fraction of the FMV as I don't have a copy as of yet if you are worried about an intrinsic collectors value :roflmao:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
4 4