• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will a press help this?

18 posts in this topic

Need some advice. Got this 9.6 multi-sig book, will pressing it possibly push it to a 9.8? Does it look like the spine tick break color? Also concerned on the Herb Trimpe sig, looks like it was scratched across, I can't tell if it just cut across on the ink or if it made it's way through the cover. If the former, does CGC ding an SS for a scratch on the sig ink?

Appreciate your input. Not an expert on getting pics, but let me know if any additional camera angle pic can help and I can add. BTW, no grader notes.

IMG_3052.thumb.JPG.36179f6535424eb5e62711c4021005d2.JPGIMG_3054.thumb.JPG.494ebe75f58257c37201b1f577c97238.JPGIMG_3055.thumb.JPG.75dc35d6e1c47f2aecb3a95d93226dab.JPGIMG_3059.thumb.JPG.a44a679800f128c2888065f0588e0603.JPGIMG_3060.thumb.JPG.e46f8d3a31e50587ecfa00ee4c2c45ff.JPG

Edited by bobotski

12 hours ago, bobotski said:

Another pic, and yeah, it does look like it breaks color :/

Automatic non-9.8, I guess. Should be fortunate enough it got a 9.6.

DSC_0002.thumb.JPG.51c49c815c173f6e369b087e229417b1.JPG

Yup, don't waste the money on a crack, press and regrade. Beautiful book though!

Edited by William-James88

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

What if he uses the waffle maker that Keys_collector suggested two posts down from your post? hm

I would have to say that after using that model, he will be a lot less concerned over that one color breaking crease. 

On 8/17/2020 at 7:52 AM, joeypost said:

Pressing will never add color back to a color breaking crease. All you will have is a color breaking crease that lays very flat. 

Risky too, right? If you press it aggressively enough to mitigate the problem, all but the most competent pressers will run the risk of degrading the multiple silver signatures, yes? 

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Risky too, right? If you press it aggressively enough to mitigate the problem, all but the most competent pressers will run the risk of degrading the multiple silver signatures, yes? 

If they are sliver sharpie you can abuse the signature with little or no damage. Paint pens and those horrific markers Todd McFarlane used in the past to sign books would be damaged taking them out of the bag. It all depends on what was used.

I just did a few tests for a well known artist, who sent a book signed and remarked in many different inks and paint samples. After going above and beyond I found the results pretty interesting. 

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

If they are sliver sharpie you can abuse the signature with little or no damage. Paint pens and those horrific markers Todd McFarlane used in the past to sign books would be damaged taking them out of the bag. It all depends on what was used.

I just did a few tests for a well known artist, who sent a book signed and remarked in many different inks and paint samples. After going above and beyond I found the results pretty interesting. 

From the look and characteristic of the tracks, all the silver signatures on the OP's lead image appear to be signed with oil based, metallic paint markers. Going by my experience in obtaining signatures signed with these Sharpies, which do come in varying thickness, on glossy surfaces especially, the oil-based metallic paint never quite "takes" into the surface and is susceptible to smearing and scratches even long after being signed. And that's not even accounting for the introduction of heat, moisture, and pressure on the paint. Can you actually apply the heat and pressure to the paint along with the rest of the book to press this and that as needed? Or do you have to "spot-press" somehow, that is press around the signatures when oil-based paint marker is indicated? 

Edited by James J Johnson

Mileage may vary based on cover stock, but my experience with books signed using most sharpies is they can be pressed properly.

Interestingly enough, you can have 10 of the same exact issue signed by a creator using the same pen/sharpie, and each will behave differently in the press. This is true of non-signed books as well. 

17 hours ago, bobotski said:

Here's another one for your all y'all. Guess the grade, find the tick, and advise if it will benefit from a press. :)

I sent it in as a slabbed 9.8, but someone mishandled it somewhere, tough luck.

IMG_3131.thumb.JPG.112ecf53d8d23095ffbb89f3f823bec6.JPG

Would you consider this color breaking, you think it can be improved? Sorry, I'm a noob to pressing.

Edited by bobotski

2 minutes ago, bobotski said:

Would you consider this color breaking, you think it can be improved? Sorry, I'm a noob to pressing.

I see two color breaks along the spine. One just above the bottom staple and the other about 1/2 inch up from the bottom of the spine. If pressed you will still have two color breaks, but they will lay flat. I just don't see any potential to get the 9.8 bump. Sorry.