• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reproduction Covers
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Sorry if this topic has been discussed before, but I was unable to find any information on how one would go about actually attaching a repro cover to a coverless comic. I've had coverless copies of Incredible Hulk 2 and Silver Surfer 1 for awhile, and I decided to buy some reproduction covers for them since both books have pretty iconic covers. Do you guys happen to have any advice on actually attaching these books to the coverless copies? For the Hulk 2, I thought that I could remove the staples and attach the cover with the original staples. But, since the Silver Surfer 1 is a different format book, I couldn't think of any ideas other than gluing the cover straight to the spine, which I'd rather not do. Also, my coverless copy has some of the remaining cover on the spine (very miniscule portion), so I think that I may be able to incorporate that somehow with the reproduction cover. If you happen to have any advice or prior experience doing this, your help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks,

Joey

IMG_7356.jpeg

IMG_7357.jpeg

IMG_7358.jpeg

IMG_7359.jpeg

IMG_7360.jpeg

IMG_7361.jpeg

The people who are best at it are likely professionals, who would be less likely to give away free proprietary info to internet strangers.

BUT there is a restoration subforum where this question may get some good advice. 
look around and you’ll find it

good luck

1 hour ago, revat said:

The people who are best at it are likely professionals, who would be less likely to give away free proprietary info to internet strangers.

BUT there is a restoration subforum where this question may get some good advice. 
look around and you’ll find it

good luck

Alright, thanks for the advice. I contacted the seller of the covers and they ended up giving me a wealth of information pertaining to the subject, so I should hopefully be good.

I do know that if you remove staples or glue then these would recieve a restored label if you are going to have them graded. You also can not just leave them loose and send in for grading. I have seen several sellers that have either used archival tape or tab method to attach covers and still keep blue or conserved label. 

Note tab method is on the repro cover cut where staple goes in a ] shape and use the tab to gentle slide into the existing staple being careful not to loosen the staple. 

This all being said really should be taken with a grain of salt as truly should be handled by a professional as not to detract from the value of the original book or tamper with its originality as that would garner an amateur resto label and really hurt the book. Same with tape or glue as this can cause a myriad of issues.

1 minute ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I do know that if you remove staples or glue then these would recieve a restored label if you are going to have them graded. You also can not just leave them loose and send in for grading. I have seen several sellers that have either used archival tape or tab method to attach covers and still keep blue or conserved label. 

Note tab method is on the repro cover cut where staple goes in a ] shape and use the tab to gentle slide into the existing staple being careful not to loosen the staple. 

This all being said really should be taken with a grain of salt as truly should be handled by a professional as not to detract from the value of the original book or tamper with its originality as that would garner an amateur resto label and really hurt the book. Same with tape or glue as this can cause a myriad of issues.

If you put the original staples back, then there should not be a "restored" label (I would hope).  It should just be a No Grade or 0.5 - whatever they're giving coverless books these days....

I'm thinking of putting an original sketch cover onto a coverless book.  I wonder how CGC would grade that?

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

If you put the original staples back, then there should not be a "restored" label (I would hope).  It should just be a No Grade or 0.5 - whatever they're giving coverless books these days....

I'm thinking of putting an original sketch cover onto a coverless book.  I wonder how CGC would grade that?

That may be true. It is not something I am 100% sure on. I have heard that as well as using period correct staples. Still it becomes one of those hoping the graders agree that is what is there and that removing and rebending those staples doesn't get the graders attention and they give it the restored/conserved label. Its another gamble.  

I have not seen a sketch covers on a coverless, but have seen some over an original and they gave it a green label or the green yellow and it denoted married.