• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about all the Jim Davis Garfield OA on HA

8 posts in this topic

Was talking to a boardie about some of the daily strips now appearing on HA and he informed me that at some point Davis may have passed the torch to an assistant, and isn't really the artist on a lot of these.  Does anyone know an approximate date or year for this transition?

There's still value to me for  some of these even if he wasn't the artist, but definitely not as much.

I don't know the answer, but it's something I'm interested in knowing as well. I'd love to add a Garfield strip to my collection, but I'd want a Davis original. I imagine that if he did pass the torch at some time, it'd be in more recent years, and not anything pre-1990, but of course I really have no idea.

Jim Davis started drawing Garfield in 1978, he stopped drawing the srip in 1982. After that he would do prelims and writing the dialogs, then give it to some people on his staff. All the strips are being sold thru HA because Jim Davis sold PAWS his publishing firm and had kept most of his originals and decided to sell them all.

I'm always on the lookout for hardsided art cases.  I bought a few off ebay in late 2019.  They were previously used and seemed to be well made and custom made (hardware could be found at Home Depot).  The main thing it was lacking was feet when standing up the cases.

I asked the seller (located in Indiana) about their original use.  He said they were used by a local cartoonist, I asked who.

His partial response:

"Because of licensing & copyright concerns can not associate items with the cartoonist. His well know strip involves a large mischievous yellow cat. Until recently he had a studio nearby that they closed and donated to a university. "

He had 8 large cases (inside dimensions 33 x 24 x 4) and 12 small cases (inside dimensions (26 x 20 x 3).  I bought 2 of each.  He still seems to have a few left.

Believe me, these things are HUGE !!  I'm just speculating but it's reasonable to speculate that the local cartoonist was Jim Davis.  If so, there is a LOT of Garfield art.  I don't know how the art would've been transported to the university or sent to HA.  So who knows if those 20 cases encompass the bulk of the art or not.  Also, depending on the donation, how much is being sold by HA??  Some people posted that they wouldn't go crazy (bidding) and there might be plenty of Garfield art to go around.  But depending on how much went to the university, there may not be as much available Garfield art as one might think.

As I previously mentioned, I'm not a Garfield fan.  Too annoying.

Edited by Will_K

On 8/19/2020 at 12:17 AM, batman_fan said:

Okay, I was sure someone posted something about Garfield artwork and how long Jim did the strip so I did some digging and found this.

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 10.16.05 PM.png

Thanks for digging that up. I was going to find it to repost, but you beat me to it. That’s a direct quote out of the New York Times, incidentally.