• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Dylan Still Trying to Scam People with Restored Books?
6 6

404 posts in this topic

On 8/28/2020 at 11:34 AM, Buzzetta said:

I've worked for people where there was an error and it took almost two years for them to address it.  It took time for them to realize and verify that the problem actually existed. It took time to devise a strategy to properly address it.  It took time to implement that strategy.  It took time for anyone to actually see results. 

Many of the books in these types of holders have been incidental.  The only one who may have overtly exploited it is Dylan as seen by the timeline, if accurate, of submitting books in the other thread.  That appears to have been addressed as mentioned by Brittany and Harshen. 

Now I ask this of you.  Given something like this that damages the grading reputation and reliability of CGC as a third party grader in the face of other grading companies and the consumer, why would they dismiss it or overtly continue with this practice?    At first it may have been considered that it was a one off printing mistake.  We have all seen those before.  The second time it may have been seen as another mistake.  We have all seen mislabeling or swapped labels in batch orders.  I do not believe that they realized that there was an actual programming issue until the Dylan incident and given the response, I would say they were pretty quick to come to action. 

BTW... I love that this type of mislabeling seems to be known as a "Dylan Book."

after that whole mess up and the boards went crazy. a week later I got my hulk 1 back in a BLUE label. I'm gonna attach my pissed off email to Harshen

august 18th, harshen will verify. 

Harshen,

Are you sure? Because I thought it was untrimmed and conserved. Then it came back with a blue label. Now, you are saying top edge of cover trimmed. The notes say trimmed full top of cover. This is ridiculous-which is it? Where are the rest of them?

-Dylan
-------------------------
Harshen,

I should most definitely get a refund on this. Furthermore, you should pay ME for grading this one since I indisputably did a much better job. If you disagree we can have a public debate about who did a better job which we both know will never happen because this is soooooo embarrassing for cgc. Are you guys not gonna apologize already?

-Dylan

13 minutes ago, dylanthekid said:

it served a purpose that I made zero financial gain off of. it's like the tooth fairy and the easter bunny. It made the comic book community a better place with educational case study knowledge. I have proven raw grade has little to no correlation to price

This is true.  These 2 raws will sell for the exact same amt of money:  It's been proven time and again.
Silver Age Amazing Spider-Man Lot: Reader Copies 11,12 2nd, 3rd Doctor  Octopus!! | eBay

Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 5.32.36 PM.png

12 minutes ago, dylanthekid said:

it served a purpose that I made zero financial gain off of. it's like the tooth fairy and the easter bunny. It made the comic book community a better place with educational case study knowledge. I have proven raw grade has little to no correlation to price

On behalf of us all, thank you for the education. I had no idea if I thought a book was better than the advertised grade, I’d pay more. Or if I thought a book was worse that it’s advertised grade, I’d pay less. You did us all a service...

Here’s an education for you. If I even wonder if a seller is intentionally overgrading, I blacklist them. You might ask yourself why? The answer...it’s unethical. And most of us don’t want to do business with the unethical...

1 minute ago, dylanthekid said:

yeah you're right! I was talking about AUCTIONS but anyway that's true it looks like a 6.0, I'll go pull these down and adjust to new grading standards ASAP. SHOCKER. this listing is from May 2020 I believe. 

lol    goal posts successfully transported.  you are a TRIP 

Just now, kav said:

This is true.  These 2 raws will sell for the exact same amt of money:  It's been proven time and again.
Silver Age Amazing Spider-Man Lot: Reader Copies 11,12 2nd, 3rd Doctor  Octopus!! | eBay

Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 5.32.36 PM.png

NO they wont. I'm referring to taking the same book and based on the GRADE ASSIGNED NOT the book. those are clearly 2 very different grade copies UGH. take 2 spawn 1s call 1 1.0, and 1 9.0 and see what happens

NO they wont. I'm referring to taking the same book and based on the GRADE ASSIGNED NOT the book. those are clearly 2 very different grade copies UGH. take 2 spawn 1s call 1 1.0, and 1 9.0 and see what happens

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Interesting that in many of your auctions, you don't even bother with a grade or any kind of physical description of the book. You just post a front and back cover scan, post a blurb about how great your customer service is, and let er rip!  And people bid! Genius

Nothing about the interior, no grading notes whatsoever, just "here's two lousy scans, but we are wonderful people, so don't worry it'll be fine!"

good lord

Just now, speedcake said:

Interesting that in many of your auctions, you don't even bother with a grade or any kind of physical description of the book. You just post a front and back cover scan, post a blurb about how great your customer service is, and let er rip!  And people bid! Genius

Nothing about the interior, no grading notes whatsoever, just "here's two lousy scans, but we are wonderful people, so don't worry it'll be fine!"

good lord

in regards of grade, I just get too busy sometimes so I prioritize and pick higher priced stuff to grade. Most large sellers DONT give graders notes unless something major which I do as well. except BLISSARD. good for him

here: 1st copy Poor condition 2nd copy Nice condition

asm11lowgrade.jpg

asm11lowgrade.jpg

You said  I have proven raw grade has little to no correlation to price
poor condition is a grade.  nice isnt but, well you can see my confusion-

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Both copies

Horrible condition 

yes agreed. but my point is that the book will the vast majority of the time sell for what it should sell for REGARDLESS of the grade you give it. I guess if someone like Comics4less or Blissard did it, it might move the needle but my prices are not occult strong like them yet

Edited by dylanthekid
typo

17 minutes ago, speedcake said:

I have no idea what is going on inside this person's head. 

This is actually an easy question to answer. And the answer lies within the last two words of his forum member ID.  "The Kid". For whatever else Dylan is or what anybody thinks he is, or thinks of him; first and foremost, he is a kid. A youngster. And although many teenagers and those recently out of their teens feel they're expertise is second to none, and no matter their IQ, most lack the experience in tact that age and constant adaptation provide. 

I'll be honest, if I were faced with my 18 year old, know it all self, listening to some of the pips I used to come out with and the way I used to think and act at times, I might either walk away or walk away after laying myself out. 

Dylan is a kid. Doesn't mean he doesn't know comics; doesn't mean he's not intelligent. To me, it just means cutting him some slack while he catches up on tact in his act.