• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the biggest discrepancy you've had between the CGC grade and the grade you thought it should get?

43 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Perhaps this is the problem.  There are lots of guys who press but few I'd trust.

The graders notes will indicate the issues. You can move forward from there once you get those. A poorly pressed book can introduce subtle defects to an otherwise perfect book. 

42 minutes ago, joeypost said:

The graders notes will indicate the issues. You can move forward from there once you get those. A poorly pressed book can introduce subtle defects to an otherwise perfect book. 

Only if there actually are graders notes. I've had a 9.2 and a 9.4 come back with no notes before. 

Biggest difference I had come back was a book I thought was a 9.4 or even a 9.6 come back as an 8.5. Turns out I sent in the wrong copy of the book, and the NM one was still in the bag in my short box. Oh well. 

2 hours ago, Kon_Jelly said:

Only if there actually are graders notes. I've had a 9.2 and a 9.4 come back with no notes before. 

Biggest difference I had come back was a book I thought was a 9.4 or even a 9.6 come back as an 8.5. Turns out I sent in the wrong copy of the book, and the NM one was still in the bag in my short box. Oh well. 

I know it's unfortunate, but I love this story. People sometimes really wonder why there was such a big difference and here it is the best explanation I have ever read since it makes perfect sense.

4 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

:whatthe:

I am surprised you are surprised. I thought this was common knowledge. I remember being shocked at it all a few months back when I first looked into them (never needed to before) and everyone was like, "yeah, they are terrible, been that way for decades".

39 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I am surprised you are surprised. I thought this was common knowledge. I remember being shocked at it all a few months back when I first looked into them (never needed to before) and everyone was like, "yeah, they are terrible, been that way for decades".

I was actually being sarcastic, but OK...  :whistle:

On 8/30/2020 at 9:11 PM, Tony S said:

A lot of people have suggested asking for/looking up the grading notes. A link below where you can put in the serial number of each comic and see if there are grading notes.  The person/business that submitted them can see any the graders notes at no charge, so don't pay. But I have listed the certification look up link below because with moderns it is not unusual for their to be no grading notes. 

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/

If you submit a modern do you get notes or you have to pay for them?

Edited by Cpluse2

6 minutes ago, Cpluse2 said:

Is you submit a modern do you get notes or you have to pay for them. I didnt use a company thou. I got a 9.2 on a book i got pressed and look at least a 9.6 no where a 9.2. But how can i know what they seen if they are no notes. Make me want to resubmit. Like it was a rush job. 

notes are free.  I think a 9.2 should usually have SOME notes.  use the link and look up the notes.  If you're considering resending, you can take a million pictures and post them in the "Please grade my comic" forum and get some feedback from the masses.

good luck.

3 hours ago, Cpluse2 said:

If you submit a modern do you get notes or you have to pay for them?

Graders Notes are free to the the account holder (collector society member, Dealer) that submits the book. So if someone has a paid collector society account and submits books under that account, they will be able to view the graders notes when they log into their account and navigate to that submission/books.  If someone submits through a business that  has a dealer account (say a comic book store) then the dealer can look up the notes the same way (login, look up) and share. 

I will say again though. It is not unusual for non-key moderns to have no grading notes, regardless of the grade assigned. And grading notes are not an exhaustive list of every single defect the book has.  They are the defects the graders took the time to write down and nothing more. 

As the years have gone by and I have submitted a LOT of books, I've come to regard grading notes less and less. They are really only useful when they list defects that the slab obscures or hides. And they often fail  do that. 

On 8/30/2020 at 10:02 PM, Tony S said:

Back when turn around times were very lengthy (think 5-7 months on the least expensive tiers) it was a thing by those in the know to send in books prescreened at a very low grade. Like say 2.0. Just so CGC would not  charge right away for a service they were not going to provide for half a year.  Nowadays with TAT's of six weeks or less that isn't a thing.

I never heard that before, that's actually pretty smart.

I started submitting during the 5+ month TATs, so I didn't experience much of the "What's going on?" stuff. I just thought it was normal. The way the TATs are these days have me spoiled. But I realize these TATs can't last forever. Best to enjoy them while we have them.

So I’m new to the comic book world, less than a year. I have 2 main questions after reading all the posts in this topic. 1. I have a premium membership which gives free grading notes on submissions. How do you get the notes? 2. Is it better to press a comic yourself or send it in to be pressed? Thanks for your feedback.