• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can an Ebay seller really be this Unaware??? or is it a scam???
5 5

442 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I bought 3 cases of pre-superman death books thinking I would make a fortune.  You know.... the ones that showed Doomsday's Arm at the end of the comic (another DC scam).

Each case has 300 comics.  So i had 900 comics.  When I bought the cases I figured half the comics in each case would be 9.8s.  Man, it's not it at all.  There are SO many stacking curves in the case.  So you gotta press basically everything in the case.  I actually bought a press because of these stupid cases thinking I would get rich.  I ended up selling the press and GIVING the 3 cases to a LCS because I was sick of storing them.  I know there was definitely money to be made (and probably many 9.8s), but I was so pissed at myself for falling down that rabbit hole.  I enjoy this hobby so much, but not that part of the hobby.

I was at a store a week or so ago, and they had a few cases of 90's books. No hot titles or keys, but I thought "Eh, if the price is right, I may buy one of these. Might be fun."

Then I saw one of the OPENED cases, some random issue of X-Force, and brother, those books looked like they'd been rolled up in an accordion, the stacking curls were so bad. I can only imagine what most of these books in sealed cases look like after 20+ years of sitting in storage.

17 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

But if you can get them for 5 cents a piece, or $25 a long, I don't think I've ever lost money on that stuff. It's not EASY to sell, and you have to put in work, but you can sell almost (ALMOST!) anything if priced right. Again, the key is what you put into it to begin with, and how much work you're wanting to put in. For me, it was a fun hobby.

Is it really worth the effort for the chickenfeed return? It takes as much time to sort and pack near-valueless comics as it does for decent books.

I remember seeing ads in CBG in the '90s where dealers would sell you cases of "hot" books, and instead of shipping them to you, they would store them on their premises -- for an ongoing charge!! Then, once the books skyrocketed in value, they would on-sell them for you as well. Except that last part never happened.

Anyone remember this? Indeed, was anybody ever a participant in such schemes?

Just now, 1950's war comics said:

i can't afford Hulk 1-6 ,... but i do really like Lou Farigno so i anyone has any cheap reader copies of Hulks issues 7-35 i would be interested as i don't remember reading those issues...

That really was a tale to astonish!

It's impressive that someone has $30k to throw away on this auction without A) doing a shred of due dilligence while B) lacking the ability to spot a repro cover as obvious as that Hulk 1. This hobby is awash in dumb money. 

I hestiate to blame the victim, but it's hard not to in this case. 

1 minute ago, october said:

It's impressive that someone has $30k to throw away on this auction without A) doing a shred of due dilligence while B) lacking the ability to spot a repro cover as obvious as that Hulk 1. This hobby is awash in dumb money. 

Having 19 pages of discussion, it's not a sin to have skipped the meaty parts, but there's very little reason to believe that the winning bidder will pay.  The seller was responsible for shilling the price all the way up with one of his other accounts, and the winning bidder seems to have been playing along just to make sure no one got scammed.  (That's my opinion anyway.)

2 minutes ago, october said:

Dumb money is what’s supporting the current house of cards.  Without it....it’s crash city. 2c

4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Having 19 pages of discussion, it's not a sin to have skipped the meaty parts, but there's very little reason to believe that the winning bidder will pay.  The seller was responsible for shilling the price all the way up with one of his other accounts, and the winning bidder seems to have been playing along just to make sure no one got scammed.  (That's my opinion anyway.)

I hope that's the case....though I think the "dumb" tag applied long before the final hammer price. 

53 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I had a similar outcome when I sold my Mom's Beanies several years ago. She was just going to throw them out, and I told her I'd take them and give her the money if they sold, because surely they're worth SOMETHING!

What I found was that they were almost literally worthless, and not worth the expense of shipping. I generally do "Free Shipping" and factor the shipping cost into the starting bid or BIN price, as people seem to like "Free Shipping" whether it's actually cheaper or not. But Beanies are surprisingly heavy, especially in bulk, so if I set the starting bid or BIN at the price of ACTUAL SHIPPING COST, they simply wouldn't sell. I sold a few before that but ended up losing money because I hadn't accounted on how pricey the shipping was going to be.

SO, yeah, with only a few exceptions, Beanies are nearly impossible to make a profit on.

Now, as for the side conversations about 90's drek comics, in the general I agree with you folks that they're usually not worth much. But there are exceptions, particularly if you have complete runs. Complete sets of even Image and Valiant 90's junk at its drekkiest will sell at the right price, and bulk boxes always sell, at least around here. The key is getting the drek at the right price. Paying a buck a book, yeah, you'll lose your shirt. But if you can get them for 5 cents a piece, or $25 a long, I don't think I've ever lost money on that stuff. It's not EASY to sell, and you have to put in work, but you can sell almost (ALMOST!) anything if priced right. Again, the key is what you put into it to begin with, and how much work you're wanting to put in. For me, it was a fun hobby.

I don't buy bulk much anymore, because as I get older I get tired of hefting boxes around. My last "big" buy was a 30+ long collection of drek. Took me several months to get it sorted and sold off, and I made money on it, and it was fun. But I also got tired of hefting boxes around, or finding space in the garage and laundry room to process them. So these days I stick with much smaller buys, or buys that are practically guaranteed to sell quick. But drek can be profitable and fun, if your expectations on return are properly calibrated. Please note that none of these opinions are inre: the eBay scam being discussed in this thread. That guy is clearly a mook. 

Well said. I need to go through my basement drek. Idk if these days Dark Horse Star Wars are considered drek (I THINK those are early 2000s) but I have about a small box of those. Unfortunately none of the recent mandalorian "keys" though. I did a basement search for those after coming across some Instagram posts and came up empty handed. Waugh Waugh. 

I've also got a bunch of drekkie #1 issues like Thundercats, Married with Children, Barbie, Beauty and the Beast, M.A.S.K,  etc 

1 minute ago, Jesse-Lee said:

I'm not who you asked, but two that come to mind for me off the top of my head are Preacher and The Legends of the Dark Knight. Lot of good arcs in LotDK, and Preacher is one of my all-time favorites.

That was to Ready Fire Aim, but I'm interested in recommendations from anyone who has them for 90s comics. I've heard of LotDK and Preacher but never actually checked them out. Maybe I can find some issues for a nickel apiece. :)

Just now, tvindy said:

That was to Ready Fire Aim, but I'm interested in recommendations from anyone who has them for 90s comics. I've heard of LotDK and Preacher but never actually checked them out. Maybe I can find some issues for a nickel apiece. :)

A lot of the issues are pretty easy $1 bin finds. Preacher has some nice collected editions too that I bet are pretty cheap - I have a bunch of the single books and the whole collection of TPBs, it's an amazing read. For LotDK, the "Venom" story line is easily one of my favorites (issues 16-20). "Going Sane" (65-68) is another favorite and a cool Joker story.

4 minutes ago, Ready Fire Aim said:

1. Whatever Alan Moore wrote.

2. Whatever Warren Ellis wrote.

3. Whatever Garth Ennis wrote.

4. Whatever Grant Morrison wrote.

5. Whatever Kurt Busiek wrote.

That's an easy 50 right there (thumbsu

Thank you! It looks like I have some research to do. No Chris Claremont? I guess after he left the X-Men he was never able to recapture the magic. :(

12 minutes ago, Ready Fire Aim said:

1. Whatever Alan Moore wrote.

2. Whatever Warren Ellis wrote.

3. Whatever Garth Ennis wrote.

4. Whatever Grant Morrison wrote.

5. Whatever Kurt Busiek wrote.

That's an easy 50 right there (thumbsu

James Robinson too (Golden Age, Starman, LotDK, JSA, Firearm, WildCATS, Terminator, Leave It To Chance)

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Actually was what I had thoughts on my mind. I don’t know if the final bidder with “362” is a dead end account or is still active? Whatever if this person knew what she/he was doing when their bid was open for FloppyB to increase the bids bit by bit until leave at $29.6 K.  I can tell that the 60 boxes of dreks with Hulks isn’t worth anywhere near THAT amount!  It can only point to one thing ... Floppy was being played in game left out. No one got scammed.

Hope the “362” account don’t have a credit card tied up or any link to get money.