• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PayPal Hacked?
2 2

95 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, kav said:

You can get someone on paypal chat fairly easily-wait time is abt 15 min.  I did change my password several times during covid just to be cautious.  
Go to help-help center-contact us-message us

Should be a breeze to straighten this all out once he gets paypal on the horn. I'll tell you what amounted to a frustrating experience. AMAZON. 

My Amazon account was somehow hacked an address added and merchandise ordered, paid for of course using my cc on file, sent to an address 1000 miles away. Spoke to a dozen different agents at Amazon, each call ended with their having "Straightened it out", only to find out within the next hour or two that it wasn't straightened out. At one point, I couldn't log into my account. The password was changed. Then, I was told that they couldn't help me because I couldn't log in to communicate and receive the proper links on their site. Three days of this, also trying to understand what people with very limited English language intelligibility were saying. 

The remedy? After three days of nonsense I called back the cc company and had them cancel the card and disputed all Amazon charges for any items ordered after a certain date (the ones the hacker ordered). I no longer buy on Amazon. The hacker still probably controls my account, but with a defunct cc associated to the account. 

14 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Should be a breeze to straighten this all out once he gets paypal on the horn. I'll tell you what amounted to a frustrating experience. AMAZON. 

My Amazon account was somehow hacked an address added and merchandise ordered, paid for of course using my cc on file, sent to an address 1000 miles away. Spoke to a dozen different agents at Amazon, each call ended with their having "Straightened it out", only to find out within the next hour or two that it wasn't straightened out. At one point, I couldn't log into my account. The password was changed. Then, I was told that they couldn't help me because I couldn't log in to communicate and receive the proper links on their site. Three days of this, also trying to understand what people with very limited English language intelligibility were saying. 

The remedy? After three days of nonsense I called back the cc company and had them cancel the card and disputed all Amazon charges for any items ordered after a certain date (the ones the hacker ordered). I no longer buy on Amazon. The hacker still probably controls my account, but with a defunct cc associated to the account. 

that also sounds like a nightmare. i've always had good experiences with amazon customer service and they answer the phone at least. agreed that it's hard sometimes understanding the thick indian accents.

but do you imagine it's so simple to get paypal on the phone? go ahead and try and let us know how that goes. this company has really gone into the toilet the last year or two. 

20 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

that also sounds like a nightmare. i've always had good experiences with amazon customer service and they answer the phone at least. agreed that it's hard sometimes understanding the thick indian accents.

but do you imagine it's so simple to get paypal on the phone? go ahead and try and let us know how that goes. this company has really gone into the toilet the last year or two. 

I could get em onthe phone easily before covid.

1 minute ago, kav said:

I could, too...I've found that I can't get anyone on the phone since the shutdowns. When I do,they are working from home and not connected to the people who really know most of the answers.

I'm not sure I blame them, it's a hard time for all of us, but with banking, you need another level of care. It's not like you are trying to call Lord and Taylor's about a missing package. 

I'm going to miss that store...not that I've gone there often lately, but it was around forever.

1 minute ago, skypinkblu said:

I could, too...I've found that I can't get anyone on the phone since the shutdowns. When I do,they are working from home and not connected to the people who really know most of the answers.

I'm not sure I blame them, it's a hard time for all of us, but with banking, you need another level of care. It's not like you are trying to call Lord and Taylor's about a missing package. 

I'm going to miss that store...not that I've gone there often lately, but it was around forever.

there should be a number where if you have been hacked you reach someone immediately-I mean come on now.

Just now, skypinkblu said:

Yes, but everyone will use it to try to get through and it won't be much use.

I mean they can hang up quickly.  "Sir this line is only for hacks.  Your account has been suspended for 3 days".

On their site: "This phone # is only for members who have been hacked and need immediate attention.  If you call for any other reason we will suspend your account.  We need to keep this line open-just imagine you were the one hacked-would you want a bunch of numbskulls cluttering the line with "Some seller was rude to me!"?

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

Once I reached a live agent at paypal, the small issue I had was not only rectified, but most importantly, it stayed rectified. 

Trying to fix the hacked account issue took a dozen calls to live Amazon agents, and any fixes they effected didn't stay fixed.

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

Once I reached a live agent at paypal, the small issue I had was not only rectified, but most importantly, it stayed rectified. 

Trying to fix the hacked account issue took a dozen calls to live Amazon agents, and any fixes they effected didn't stay fixed.

when i tried to reach a live agent last week the recording essentially said 'sorry, we're not taking calls. goodbye!' and disconnected me. wondering how you got someone. 

My wife's Paypal account was hacked just as described. Fortunately she noticed soon enough, changed language back to english, and put the $1K right back into the bank account. Had enough in account at the time to avoid overdraft, thankfully. Changed password and activated 2 part verification. So far so good.

I’ve checked mine a couple times and still undefiled.

Paypal-little tip for you-someone goes to change language say NOPE-send email to original email on file (extra NOPE if email recently changed) and ask hey dude are you tryin to change language?  And/or CALL THEM you dolts.
This is a super no braner.

4 hours ago, kav said:

You can't now.

They are a bloody disgrace.

Bought some comics (not ebay) that were trashed, opened claim - no response from paypal.

Been under review for weeks - cannot get them via phone, do not answer emails, do not have live chat currently.

I've removed all funds just to be on the safe side.

Something seriously wrong at paypal.

14 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

This is uncanny.  I had the identical think happen with walmart.com.  Replace amazon in your travail with walmart.com.  Walmart was pathetically unhelpful and  have not ordered from them again.