• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Top 5 Silver Age Key Books
2 2

39 posts in this topic

My picks may not fit under the 6k limit but here goes:

XM 1

ASM 1

JIM 83

TOS 39

BB 28 (not too sure about this choice frankly)

I thought about Villain first appearances, hot books today or other minor keys but felt the above have longer term growth.

Obviously, if you up your price range, my picks would vary a little bit.

1 hour ago, piper said:

My picks may not fit under the 6k limit but here goes:

XM 1

ASM 1

JIM 83

TOS 39

BB 28 (not too sure about this choice frankly)

I thought about Villain first appearances, hot books today or other minor keys but felt the above have longer term growth.

Obviously, if you up your price range, my picks would vary a little bit.

I think your picks are great! . . . . .  My only doubt, because I'm not an expert, is whether  it's better  a CGC 0.5 Amazing Fantasy #15   ($8,000) or, for example, a CGC 6.5 Fantastic Four #5  ($7,750). My question here is: Will they both cost around the same in 10 years? The difficulty of this question is, that it's hard to find on line, what they both cost 10 years ago, in those same grades.  You would have to go to a Library and search at The Overstreet Guide   N° 40                                         

Edited by Memorex

2 hours ago, Memorex said:

If you were hired to be a Comic Book investment consultant and your client wants 5 key books between 4k-6k, which would be your picks? . . .  Considering they will surelly go up in a decade!

You haven’t mentioned any grade or grade range, so this becomes very difficult to respond to.

24 minutes ago, MusterMark said:

You haven’t mentioned any grade or grade range, so this becomes very difficult to respond to.

I Know. My mistake.

Let's leave aside appearance and focus on whether the price will rise better if it's a less important book, but in a much better Grade. For example AF #15 CGC 0.5  vs. Avengers # 1 CGC 7.0

What would be your preference? A very low grade "Huge Book" or a Top 25% Grade on a lesser book that actually cost the same right now.

Edited by Memorex

My pics right now would be:

Tale of suspense #39 CGC 4.0   (Go Collect $6,250)

Journey Into Mystery # 83 CGC 4.0  (Go Collect $6,250)

Hulk #1 CGC CGC 1.0 (Go Collect $5,250)

Tales to Astonish #27 CGC 6.5 (Go Collect $6,000)

Fantastic Four #5 CGC 5.0 (Go Collect $5,500)

My immediate thought in that range is a 5.0 Fantastic Four #5.

A few others:  very low grade Hulk #1, JIM 83, Daredevil 8.0 (this book has ballooned a bit and frankly I think it's still very undervalued comparatively speaking), Xmen 1 3.0/3.5... 

I think at the end of the day its sticking with the "big blue chip books" 

54 minutes ago, Batmanis#1 said:

BB28 has taken a hard hit over the past few years I wonder if it will bounce back. It should based on the iconic issue but after that awful movie people judged this book pretty hard. I have always backed SC22 but it has yet to have it's day way behind value wise compared to SC4.

I think the Snyder Cut will generate interest in it; and if it's well done, the book will regain some of its lost ground. And as you point out, it's already been hit hard--so buying such a key book at these prices seems like a no-brainer to me.

I’ve stopped betting on DC books going up in value. Buy them if you like the character, team, etc. Otherwise, If you have finite funds, I would put my money elsewhere.

For example, Zatanna and Phantom Stranger books will always be in my collection, but certainly not for investment purposes.

43 minutes ago, piper said:

I’ve stopped betting on DC books going up in value. Buy them if you like the character, team, etc. Otherwise, If you have finite funds, I would put my money elsewhere.

fair enough; I'm lucky in that I love the D.C. characters, so I'm buying what I love and what I think will (eventually) make a good amount of profit. I think I view the D.C. books are lower ceiling, higher floor--and b/c they're starting at lower prices, I see them as worthwhile. But maybe I'm crazy (doing the same thing expecting a different result).

To me, I think these are best bets investment wise:

DD1 - sure bet to show up sooner or later on the big screen and it still lags the rest of the marvel Mega-keys 

Xmen 1 - So many 1st appearances.   Another sure fire investment book.

SC22 - Book has been seriously depressed since the cringe fest.  

FF5 - Poised to explode.  Tough book in grade.   One of the biggest baddies in marvel history.

ASM 14 - If Norman Osborn is one of the big bads in the next marvel phase, this book is gonna kill it.  

These aren’t my picks for biggest books at Marvel, my picks for best investment books in that price range.

On 9/6/2020 at 11:31 PM, ChasingKingKirby said:

DD1 - sure bet to show up sooner or later on the big screen and it still lags the rest of the marvel Mega-keys 

FF5 - Poised to explode.  Tough book in grade.   One of the biggest baddies in marvel history.

ASM 14 - If Norman Osborn is one of the big bads in the next marvel phase, this book is gonna kill it.  

These aren’t my picks for biggest books at Marvel, my picks for best investment books in that price range.

I tend to agree with this list for the most part. 

They aren't the books I would personally buy, but if you are buying as an investment you would need to have a lens toward potential growth. 

It gets tricky when you think about low grade Hulk 1s vs high grade DD1s, but generally, I think you could obtain decent copies of each of these books and expect growth that out paces similar key books. 

Edited by KCOComics

On 9/7/2020 at 5:31 AM, ChasingKingKirby said:

I dont know if it will sustain, but a FF5 3.5 sold this month for $5000.

59 minutes ago, marmat said:

Also, JIM 83 is slowly rising. The book is starting to enjoy Thor's popularity. 

I wonder how much longer Thor will remain popular. I was surprised Hemsworth did another movie--will the character be popular if Love and Thunder is the last movie to feature this version of the character? I'm skeptical that the first generation of MCU stars who were not previously hot (i.e. Iron Man and Thor) will stay as hot as they've been.

12 hours ago, serling1978 said:

Five copies of Xmen #1 hm

I agree this one is poised for a decent bump. It's been slowly continuing to heat up while other "grails" from the first MCU wave are cooling off. 

Poised for a bump?  This book has sky-rocketed in the past year.  I never really wanted this book (more of a GSX1 guy) and it looks like  I missed my window to buy one.