• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory sealed issues.

11 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, napp said:

How does CGC handle books that are poly bag sealed when new? Such as Ghost Rider #28. 

Should they be opened and then treated like any other submission?image.png.fb9e7f2c44392180b93dc9ace387f0b4.png

Yes.

From https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/faq/

CGC does not certify sealed poly-bagged books. To have a poly-bagged book certified by CGC, you must remove the book from its poly-bag or send written approval authorizing CGC to remove it. The words “Poly-bag removed” appear on the CGC label.

Unlike toys or figures, having the original "packaging" is not that important at all for most collectors. Granted, there is a market for some comics till bagged (partly due to rarity, partly due to nostalgia like old multi packs or Whitman packs from the 70s) but at the end of the day, CGC only grades the comic. They cannot accurately do that with a bag in the way.

If you love the bag so much, carefully remove the book and keep the bag. The book in question is not (and I think is highly unlikely to ever be) a book that grows in value, whether it is in bag or not. Right now, it is a $10 book in the back, a $50 book if CGC 9.6 and a $130-150 book in CGC 9.8. You may THINK it is perfect having never been touched but that bag only "protects" so much. If you wrap your car in a giant plastic bag, sure it won't get wet which may slow rust but I can huck a baseball at it and do some serious damage. The comic could have experienced the same. The only way to know if you have a 9,8 is to open it. 

It is also a book that likely has a print run exceeding 500 000 so FAR from rare. Even in the bag (not sure if this is how all came or just some) is also not a rare thing. For those reasons, I think the values seen at the moment would be the par for this book long term, if not slightly lower. 

Edited by comicginger1789

6 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Unlike toys or figures, having the original "packaging" is not that important at all for most collectors. Granted, there is a market for some comics till bagged (partly due to rarity, partly due to nostalgia like old multi packs or Whitman packs from the 70s) but at the end of the day, CGC only grades the comic. They cannot accurately do that with a bag in the way.

If you love the bag so much, carefully remove the book and keep the bag. The book in question is not (and I think is highly unlikely to ever be) a book that grows in value, whether it is in bag or not. Right now, it is a $10 book in the back, a $50 book if CGC 9.6 and a $130-150 book in CGC 9.8. You may THINK it is perfect having never been touched but that bag only "protects" so much. If you wrap your car in a giant plastic bag, sure it won't get wet which may slow rust but I can huck a baseball at it and do some serious damage. The comic could have experienced the same. The only way to know if you have a 9,8 is to open it. 

It is also a book that likely has a print run exceeding 500 000 so FAR from rare. Even in the bag (not sure if this is how all came or just some) is also not a rare thing. For those reasons, I think the values seen at the moment would be the par for this book long term, if not slightly lower. 

i mean it depends it probably wont go up too much but it is the 1st midnight suns and who knows what will happen with them.

43 minutes ago, silversufer27 said:

i mean it depends it probably wont go up too much but it is the 1st midnight suns and who knows what will happen with them.

It's the Midnight Sons...have they done anything of substance since the 90's? Even then, was what they did in comics of substance? No.

There was some interest a few years ago about a renewed series but I don't think that came to fruition. And really, what is the BEST thing you can hope for in movie/TV world in terms of spiking interest? I highly doubt a movie comes about. Maybe a TV show. When was the last time a Marvel/DC TV show skyrocketed any book? Seems to be the indie books that spike and stay up but for other stuff, a character or team appears, a book gets its couple weeks in the sun and then falls back to relative affordability.

I just don't think they are a team that the average fan knows much about and that the hardcore fan cares enough about. Could it gain value? Of course. But to expect it to go from a $150 9.8 book to a $1000 9.8 book or even a $500 9.8 book I think is very unlikely. You are betting off looking at the individual characters that make up the Midnight Sons. 

Just now, comicginger1789 said:

It's the Midnight Sons...have they done anything of substance since the 90's? Even then, was what they did in comics of substance? No.

There was some interest a few years ago about a renewed series but I don't think that came to fruition. And really, what is the BEST thing you can hope for in movie/TV world in terms of spiking interest? I highly doubt a movie comes about. Maybe a TV show. When was the last time a Marvel/DC TV show skyrocketed any book? Seems to be the indie books that spike and stay up but for other stuff, a character or team appears, a book gets its couple weeks in the sun and then falls back to relative affordability.

I just don't think they are a team that the average fan knows much about and that the hardcore fan cares enough about. Could it gain value? Of course. But to expect it to go from a $150 9.8 book to a $1000 9.8 book or even a $500 9.8 book I think is very unlikely. You are betting off looking at the individual characters that make up the Midnight Sons. 

Nah I think they can definitely be set up in the mcu for sure but the prices won’t be too crazy I’m guessing on a peak of 200 9.8 maybe a little more 

2 minutes ago, silversufer27 said:

Nah I think they can definitely be set up in the mcu for sure but the prices won’t be too crazy I’m guessing on a peak of 200 9.8 maybe a little more 

Yeah that's reasonable. 

As for appearing, I won't hold my breath. I think its more likely to see a quick scene where they stand together in a battle than an actual movie based around them. If you are holding out for a full on Marvel Sons movie, what's the timeframe? Would be looking at least 15-20 years from now. That is a loooong time haha

24 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yeah that's reasonable. 

As for appearing, I won't hold my breath. I think its more likely to see a quick scene where they stand together in a battle than an actual movie based around them. If you are holding out for a full on Marvel Sons movie, what's the timeframe? Would be looking at least 15-20 years from now. That is a loooong time haha

Oh nah I’m definitely not saying it’s gonna happen I think there’s a chance it might happen given the path of the mcu so you never know

Edited by silversufer27