• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM129 cover to hit ComicConnect
3 3

115 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:
15 hours ago, Bronty said:

Good lord that's a terrible image of the art.    That's the best they could get?    What's "been done to it?".    Something has, I would wager, from the looks of the piece?   

The staining on it is incredible.  Very concerning.

I'm going to wait until an unstained NM/M original ASM 129 cover comes along. :sumo:

7 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:
9 hours ago, Will_K said:

I can understand the self interest.  I've been to CC but never used them to sell anything.

Hake's uses a similar methodology that extends bidding after the "official" closing of a lot.

Hakes is moving up the ranks !  Great pieces lately 

Does anyone sell through Hake's other than Geppi?

Has anyone here ever consigned their comics or OA to a Hake's auction?  

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

It should easily clear $2 million.  I am certain a piece such as this will pull in folks like Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg, and Bill Gates plus likely a few professional athletes, Hollywood types, and foreign oligards.

I've heard through the grapevine that this announcement has broken Wechat and Weibo. 

It's a little known fact that Punisher is the most popular foreign superhero in China.  More kids dress up as Punisher at Halloween than Spiderman and Batman combined.  Thomas Jane is a god there.  I'm hearing that more than a few billionaires in China are warming up their petty cash accounts as we speak.   

6 hours ago, tth2 said:

I'm going to wait until an unstained NM/M original ASM 129 cover comes along. :sumo:

Sorry but that’s lame and lazy.    That’s implying that no matter what is done to a piece, it just doesn’t matter at all right?   You must be popular with certain art dealers.

We can rip it in half and burn one half  while we are at it because, hey, there’s no NM/M option of this particular cover. :boo:   

We could even  reconstruct the paper from the original ashes and have a restorer recreate the missing lines because, hey, there’s no mint option so no one should question what is done to a piece or factor it into their bidding.   Awesome.   

For myself I say that certain procedures (particularly if disclosed) wouldn’t bother me at all.   And some would.   Anytime a pair of scissors is involved or a photocopier/printer is involved, or new Bristol/surface is involved, I personally would want to know and would consider that.    I don’t think I’m alone in that view.   Missing word balloon replaced?  Who cares.    Extensive procedures that fundamentally change the nature of what I’m looking at?   That’s different, at least to me. 

Edited by Bronty

19 hours ago, Timely said:

Anyone know if the Punisher image is a stat?

When you zoom-in on the CC image, you can notice that white highlight shading running along Punishers right arm abruptly shifts, and a dark shading line cuts through the white shading, as it nears the neck. The entire head and right arm that incompletely cuts off from the right edge are a slightly different colour (off-white/slight hint of yellowing). It looks peculiar, but having seem some Kane/Romita Spidey covers where there were certain elements,even inked parts, that were pasted on the board, it's possible the head and right arm were redrawn, but I would say that it's live ink. The trade dress, masthead and stuff that's usually a stat/paste-up have the contour edging you'd expect to see, but their snow white appearance could mean they have been replaced. The drop shadow effect in certain areas of the trade dress creates an appearance that some of them are either lifting along the edge, or they may be pasted on an acetate overlay. A better higher-res image would help conclude whether what I'm seeing are artifacts of bad lighting or imaging.

. image.png.fbddd042be58d5ec4ac028ca111831df.png

Edited by comicwiz

12 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Say there is no STAT   Why wud this sell more than Spidey 122 & 123 anyway ?? I don’t think the punisher first appearance OA tops the death of Gwen Stacy covers 

It tops it easily imo

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

Sorry but that’s lame and lazy.    That’s implying that no matter what is done to a piece, it just doesn’t matter at all right?   You must be popular with certain art dealers.

We can rip it in half and burn one half  while we are at it because, hey, there’s no NM/M option of this particular cover. :boo:   

We could even  reconstruct the paper from the original ashes and have a restorer recreate the missing lines because, hey, there’s no mint option so no one should question what is done to a piece or factor it into their bidding.   Awesome.   

For myself I say that certain procedures (particularly if disclosed) wouldn’t bother me at all.   And some would.   Anytime a pair of scissors is involved or a photocopier/printer is involved, or new Bristol/surface is involved, I personally would want to know and would consider that.    I don’t think I’m alone in that view.   Missing word balloon replaced?  Who cares.    Extensive procedures that fundamentally change the nature of what I’m looking at?   That’s different, at least to me. 

I think Tims point is there is one option to buy this cover and this is it. It has some condition issues but such is life. In the past the appearance has had little impact on the final hammer price. 

32 minutes ago, vodou said:

"Condition issues" assumes originality. Originality of portions is in question too, absent catalog description clarification on the matter.

Agreed, need a better description.  The image posted does show signs the punisher is a paste up

The issues being brought up here probably will have little impact on the final hammer price.  The cover being so iconic AND being featured on a site like TMZ will bring plenty of eyes and money. 

Chamber of Chills 19 original art cover sold for $174K and that would be even more niche than this.  I wouldn't be surprised if the ASM129 piece easily breaks a million or goes above the 2 million ask.

Agreed that TMZ = a ton of publicity.  Dunno who pulled off that coup internally, but my feeling is that it's going to create both (1) a lot of passing interest, and (2) at least some new collectors among the monied class who're into Marvel but didn't know OA is a thing.

I sent my non-collector friend the link, and he was confused for a second because he thought his wife had sent it, and was going to relay it over to me.  lol

Edited by exitmusicblue

34 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Dunno who pulled off that coup internally, but...

Coup? More like a press release taking on the form of a paid advert. Or vice versa ;)

Nothing about "$2m" is accidental, including when/where/why/how of media coverage.

I have no opinion on the value until we hear a good condition report and get better scans.

Also I am skeptical that this will appeal outside of our community.  This isn't an X-Men or Avengers level of character. The Punisher logo is known out there, but not so much the character. And, uh, I think guys who like the logo have already spent most of their disposable income this year on ammo. 

Edited by glendgold

2M is hyperbole. GLL/GA 76, another iconic cover of the era sold for what $400k? ASM100 sold for $400k two years ago? The market has gone up, but not that much for the iconic grail pieces. 

The only stuff breaking the $1m mark is painted covers that have crossover appeal to the fantasy markets (that have far deeper pockets). Frazetta has topped $1m, but no one else. 

19 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

2M is hyperbole. GLL/GA 76, another iconic cover of the era sold for what $400k? ASM100 sold for $400k two years ago? The market has gone up, but not that much for the iconic grail pieces. 

The only stuff breaking the $1m mark is painted covers that have crossover appeal to the fantasy markets (that have far deeper pockets). Frazetta has topped $1m, but no one else. 

Granted this is the side of the pool I don't play in, but I'm with miraclemet.  Has there been a single piece of B/W superhero art sell for $1M+ yet?  I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that some folks believe that not only will that milestone be broken, but doubled.

22 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

But you forget...what if there are...

Spoiler

SHENANNIGANS