• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could present day speculation habits make newsstand distribution viable/profitable again?!
1 1

13 posts in this topic

It's been seven years since Marvel ceased newsstand distribution, and although DC stopped much of their newsstand presence at the same time, a trickle continued until three years ago.  I understand that modern day newsstand issues, if they returned, wouldn't be as rare, with speculators gobbling them up, but their sell through rates, as a percentage, would likely be better than they had been in decades.  Granted, what would be involved for a return to returnables might not be something that either company would be willing to gamble on based on speculation trends of the moment, but the publishers have never been shy about catering to collectors/speculators either.  I'm not suggesting that casual buyers would pick them up like once upon a time, but the hardcore collector/speculator undoubtedly would, and they'd buy them in quantity too!  If it's simply an amazing fantasy on my part then I take great responsibility for it!  :wink:

The speculator market is capricious rather than loyal over the long term, so maybe not. Variants, for example, are already well catered for.

Edited by Ken Aldred

49 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

The speculator market is capricious rather than loyal over the long term, so maybe not. Variants, for example, are already well catered for.

In response I'll say that modern newsstand variants would be books that could be attained at cover price, which can't be said for most low percentage ratio variants produced for the direct market. 

Edited by Coverless 9.8
Correction

I like this idea.

Make the newsstand editions with unique covers and newsprint interior and they’ll be cheaper to manufacture; add a 50¢ to $1 to cover price in select regions, creating additional variants.

Limit titles to big sellers and one shots/miniseries. 
I recall getting DC newsstands in 2017 and poor Aquaman was always in full supply, Batman and Detective were selling out.

And just maybe sell them outside of Barnes&Noble and BaM, increase impulse buys from non collectors. Dollar General and similar convenience stores are everywhere nowadays; perfect places to sell comics.

The Walmart Marvel 3 packs (not newsstand sales but comparable) seem to be selling well and they are not cheap. $10 for 3 books, and speculators only really want the Variant in front anyway. The hidden fillers are heavy with non-key 2nd prints and overprinted 1st prints.

If theybwere to sell an extra 20,000 copies on the newsstand, how much of that would  be lost in the comic shop? comic shops work on low margins and publishers diverting people away from the shops would put some out of business. The trick is to increase the pie, not to slice it into extra pieces.

No.

Or, at least, not in the traditional sense that distinguished between newsstand and direct market distribution. To wit, newsstand comics were returnable. And there's simply no way that any of the comic publishers would or could tolerate the risks that entails at this point.

On the other hand, if the question is "should comic publishers try to encourage more varied venues to stock and sell their product" then sure. But we don't need more rando chase covers for that.

3 minutes ago, Coverless 9.8 said:

If I remember correctly the newsstand issue was released a week or two after the direct market would get their issues, so if there was an immediate sellout at the comic shops, you'd have another avenue open to you.  That sure wasn't a bad thing!  

I think it was three weeks but that doesn't mean it will be in the future.

8 hours ago, shadroch said:

I think it was three weeks but that doesn't mean it will be in the future.

Once upon a time it was a great window to get issues that disappeared on the day of sale from the direct market.  I'm not optimistic that newsstand distribution will really return.  Their business practices have been to get more and more per consumer from an ever shrinking audience.  I understand that reading habits, like viewing habits, have changed over the years, but single issues used to contain a complete story that may have been part of a larger one.  I think that skill has atrophied due to writing for the trade the last few decades.  Comics used to offer great value for the money, but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.  

Edited by Coverless 9.8
Correction