• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The sketch may be Robert Crumb but I could not recognize the signature

48 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Obviously it's Crumb from the Big Brother & the Holding Co album, but I remember these blotter acid sheet art coming out in the mid 90s thru venues like Art Rock. They repopped several designs and then had Leary, Burroughs & Hoffman sign. Here's an article from the LA Times

What a fantastic story!

12 hours ago, JollyComics said:

image.thumb.png.6f9540da848a0a2f5f987d69feb56a98.png

Dip that sheet and read this comic, change you and your friend's life  (thumbsulol (j/k)

But Leary did a comic book in '79 that doesn't even need a tab to trip out 

leary.thumb.jpg.647570fea97004d0e4ae602fd3529897.jpg

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er
post edited by Wertham

5 hours ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Dip that sheet and read this comic, change you and your friend's life  (thumbsulol (j/k)

But Leary did a comic book in '79 that doesn't even need a tab to trip out 

leary.thumb.jpg.647570fea97004d0e4ae602fd3529897.jpg

Yep I have that one.

18 hours ago, JollyComics said:

It looked like Robert Crumb's sketch on the graphic paper but I can't tell who signed on that paper.

I am helping my friend to find out about that name and I need you to authenticate Robert's sketch.

Thanks for your helps.

image.thumb.png.6f9540da848a0a2f5f987d69feb56a98.png

What's the source for this piece? Also, if anyone knows, the source for the other Leary signed piece in this thread. 

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

What's the source for this piece? Also, if anyone knows, the source for the other Leary signed piece in this thread. 

Not sure but that sig matches exemplars perfectly IMO

Screenshot 2020-10-28 at 2.14.43 PM.png

Edited by kav

1 hour ago, catman76 said:

It was supposed to be the front cover to Big Brother and the Holding Company's Cheap Thrills album, but the band didn't like it and used the image Crumb drew for the back cover as the front cover instead.

“Janis liked Zap Comix and Snatch Comix, my comics appealed to the hard-drinking, hard-f*cking end of the hippie spectrum as opposed to the spiritual, Eastern-religious, lighter-than-air type hippie. Janis asked me to do an album cover. I liked Janis OK and I did her cover. I took speed and did an all-nighter. The front cover I designed wasn’t used at all. They used the back cover for the front. I got paid $600. The album cover impressed the hell out of girls much more so than the comics. I got a lot of mileage out of that over the years!”

I meant the provenance of the Timothy Leary signature. Where and when acquired and by who, if that info is available. 

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

That's why I'm curious as to their provenance. These two are pretty close, but relatively atypical compared to the norm for Learys with unshakeable provenance and rock solid authentication. 

It looks like his 90s examples, to me anyway.

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

That's why I'm curious as to their provenance. These two are pretty close, but relatively atypical compared to the norm for Learys with unshakeable provenance and rock solid authentication. 

Many subtle things that would be difficult to forge-the distant vanishing point that the 3 lines approach, the higher e in leary and exact positioning with the a, the number of strokes in "im" and the exact amt of tapering, the boxlike area and the letters inside.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Many subtle things that would be difficult to forge-the distant vanishing point that the 3 lines approach, the higher e in leary and exact positioning with the a, the number of strokes in "im" and the exact amt of tapering, the boxlike area and the letters inside.

I think it is forged. Lots of differences.

12 minutes ago, kav said:

You guys need to explicate the differences you see then.

angles of the 3 main strokes are different

curvature of the end of the first name

length of the 3 main strokes is different ( by a lot )

curvature of the y in the second name

r to y in second name arrived at differently

a in second name very different

length and curvature of m in first name very different

the pencil signature appears done by someone with a looser hand, the sharpie signature is more rigid

sigs.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

3 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

angles of the 3 main strokes are different

curvature of the end of the first name

length of the 3 main strokes is different ( by a lot )

curvature of the y in the second name

r to y in second name arrived at differently

the pencil signature appears done by someone with a looser hand, the sharpie signature is more rigid

sigs.jpg

you will sign more rigid with a sharpie, all those differences can be attributed to no one signs the exact same way twice.

7 minutes ago, kav said:

you will sign more rigid with a sharpie, all those differences can be attributed to no one signs the exact same way twice.

my own signature never looks the same so I agree. But there are always some similarities to how the lines are achieved and in this case the sharpie signature looks different.

Edited by Artboy99