• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATE: Desert Wind / Celestial Comics damaging and losing/stealing books
6 6

139 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

And this is why kids, you never send your book to Desert Wind... 

Poof! (The Usual Suspects) | Reaction GIFs

Sorry to see this.

They cashed a 1st cheque of CAL's coin, asked for a 2nd cheque as they say the 1st cheque never arrived.

My wife caught the 1st cheque being cashed when she was balancing CAL's books.

Next step was getting Law Enforcement involved had they not refunded 1st cheque. Sad. 

CAL who got that TOS 39 3.5 signed by Stan Lee....:bump:

1 hour ago, Calamerica said:

Sorry to see this.

They cashed a 1st cheque of CAL's coin, asked for a 2nd cheque as they say the 1st cheque never arrived.

My wife caught the 1st cheque being cashed when she was balancing CAL's books.

Next step was getting Law Enforcement involved had they not refunded 1st cheque. Sad. 

CAL who got that TOS 39 3.5 signed by Stan Lee....:bump:

After all the stories of things like this, lost books, damaged books, "accidentally" swapped books... I cannot help but wonder if they are trying to screw people over or if it is just incompetence. 

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

After all the stories of things like this, lost books, damaged books, "accidentally" swapped books... I cannot help but wonder if they are trying to screw people over or if it is just incompetence. 

don't limit it to one or the other....

20 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

And this is why kids, you never send your book to Desert Wind... 

The OP is not the first nor the last to have experiences like this. 

And yet some people still swear by them :facepalm:

4 hours ago, Ares said:

Not to be an azz about it but if the books never got to CGC what is their responsibility in all this if they never even touched the book?

I would think their failure to revoke facilitator status after what seems like endless complaints could potentially come into play...

5 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

And yet some people still swear by them :facepalm:

I suspect getting signatures and getting them graded is complex and requires a great deal of attention to detail and a great deal can go wrong.  While we've heard complaints in the past there seem to be a lot more issues now.

Sending comics to get signed and graded requires a great deal of trust from a submitter/collector.  Losing those comics or refusing to return them violates that trust and I'd suggest that is an existential threat to their business  

4 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

I suspect getting signatures and getting them graded is complex and requires a great deal of attention to detail and a great deal can go wrong.  While we've heard complaints in the past there seem to be a lot more issues now.

Sending comics to get signed and graded requires a great deal of trust from a submitter/collector.  Losing those comics or refusing to return them violates that trust and I'd suggest that is an existential threat to their business  

I’m amazed that CGC has been able to maintain the integrity of the SS label without actually employing their facilitators.  

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

Just now, kav said:

I keep telling people dont get their books scribbled on.

I used to have my submissions signed on the splash page , or on the actual page the artist worked on ( If the artist didn’t pencil the whole book).  I don’t need to see the signature, I just liked the idea that my fave artists had my book in front of them and signed their name.  You also get a real signature, not the exaggerated sharpie version. 

The real beauty of it....

The book can be cracked out of the case without losing 90% of its value.  If the integrity of the SS program ever becomes compromised in a significant way, all those sharpie cover sigs will devastate the value of many the comic. 

5 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I used to have my submissions signed on the splash page , or on the actual page the artist worked on ( If the artist didn’t pencil the whole book).  I don’t need to see the signature, I just liked the idea that my fave artists had my book in front of them and signed their name.  You also get a real signature, not the exaggerated sharpie version. 

The real beauty of it....

The book can be cracked out of the case without losing 90% of its value.  If the integrity of the SS program ever becomes compromised in a significant way, all those sharpie cover sigs will devastate the value of many the comic. 

The day will come when unsigned pristine books will command a premium.
Also, sharpie fades.

future comic collectors will shake their heads at this practice.
Just like they do now about sharpie color touch which used to be thought just fine.