CGC Pressing = big mistake!
3 3

77 posts in this topic

Got involved again in comics this past spring.  Didn't know much about pressing or pressing services so I sent two pristine books to CGC for pressing, even though they really didn't need it.  This was back in June.  Finally getting them back as 9.6's.  Very nice grades but utter BS.  These things were pristine.  I literally could not find a single flaw and after I sent them, realized they probably didn't even need to be pressed.  I thought pressing was something EVERYONE did before sending them in. Very frustrating.  Do we even know what the qualifications are of the people working there? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You could coin a new grade name, too. "Pristine".

I'm still not sure if a drive by poster yet, I'll give the benefit of the doubt. NO GRADERS NOTES DOES = :pullhair: 

but I've got 9.6's and thought they might have been 9.8 :tonofbricks:

but still :ohnoez: 

:wishluck: 200.gif

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

This will end well.

Definitely agree with this. lol

@Chamberlin, the grades will vary, they are opinions from a group of graders at that point in time.  It is unfortunate it did not line up with your expectations but that does happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Crops068 said:

Definitely agree with this. lol

@Chamberlin, the grades will vary, they are opinions from a group of graders at that point in time.  It is unfortunate it did not line up with your expectations but that does happen.

I would say the fact that they were only 1 grade off from his analysis is pretty good. Many people get much more disheartening results.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For sure :) 

and moderns? bronze? Silver? what age?

there may be a different set of graders for different ages, certain books may have distributor defects that don't get counted, it's a whole thing (thumbsu 

Sorry for your loss, it happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would say the fact that they were only 1 grade off from his analysis is pretty good. Many people get much more disheartening results.

Without knowing how many or what age, it could have been 2 modern books he is mad about, it might be 50 golden.

With how much he says he spent in the Ask CGC thread, not sure why he didn't prescreen. (shrug)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

Without knowing how many or what age, it could have been 2 modern books he is mad about, it might be 50 golden.

With how much he says he spent in the Ask CGC thread, not sure why he didn't prescreen. (shrug)

Because he thought everyone presses. He didn't think that everyone pre-screens.

Link to post
Share on other sites

At the time I didn't even know what pre-screening was.  I don't usually collect modern stuff and this is probably why I won't going forward.  Never been thrilled with the price points of 9.8 books when they are disproportionally priced compared to 9.4's and 9.6's. I know, everyone says it 'my books were perfect" and I get it.  Just frustrating when you wait nearly 5 months for books, pay pressing fees for books that are already mint and then have to read for 4 months about what a mistake I made sending them to CGC pressing to begin with. 

Thanks for not taking it out on me too hard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chamberlin said:

Got involved again in comics this past spring.  Didn't know much about pressing or pressing services so I sent two pristine books to CGC for pressing, even though they really didn't need it.  This was back in June.  Finally getting them back as 9.6's.  Very nice grades but utter BS.  These things were pristine.  I literally could not find a single flaw and after I sent them, realized they probably didn't even need to be pressed.  I thought pressing was something EVERYONE did before sending them in. Very frustrating.  Do we even know what the qualifications are of the people working there? 

9.6s

200-10.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully the sarcasm was detected in my last statement. Remember this. The people who take the books off the press, pack them ect... plus the people at the LCS that handle the books are not as worried about the books being 9.8s as most of us are. Then take into account all the people paging thru these books and carelessly placing them back on the shelf. I'm surprised books even are able to become 9.8s anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3