Let's hear your Signature Stories! Here's my John Byrne Signed Experience
3 3

30 posts in this topic

I like the old judge dredd comics so I bought a couple of the books collecting them together and managed to get this one signed by the writer who created dredd and one of the artists and asked how much a sketch would cost he said he couldn’t do a full sketch because he had to go but would do a quick one for free what was nice and this is how it turned I couldn’t have been happier with the results of the sketch

image.jpg

image.jpg

4 hours ago, HotKey said:

I have the worst John Byrne autograph story.

I won this in an online auction. I don't know if it's real. The end. 😁

20210404_153849.jpg

20210404_153928.jpg

Wow. That is one unfortunate drawing of She-Hulk.

4 hours ago, HotKey said:

I have the worst John Byrne autograph story.

I won this in an online auction. I don't know if it's real. The end. 😁

20210404_153849.jpg

20210404_153928.jpg

Who was the seller? hm

1 hour ago, mr_highgrade said:

Who was the seller? hm

It wasn't ebay, it was one of those smaller local auction houses so I have no idea lol

I have to tell my Anthony Daniels story. I was helping Richie out at one of the WWChicago cons. It was the same year I met Ralph Macchio, who was so friendly and engaging. I can’t remember how many Star Wars guys were there or even if there were any other Star Wars guys. But I had two books in my hand that needed Daniels and one that didn’t. He was about $40 a sig at the time and he wasn’t ticketed, so you just paid him at the table. I handed him the $80 and had him sign the two books. He reached for the third and I was like “no, you don’t need to sign that.” I think either he had already signed it long before or it was just a two character cover and they didn’t want other actors. He got so ticked off that I wasn’t going to pay him to sign the third book. He was like “I’m Anthony Daniels blah blah blah.” Finally I was like “Man these aren’t my books. So I can’t do what other people don’t want me to do.” He got even more ticked off and went off on EBay and told me I was a leech and a dirtbag. It was great.

Edited by seanfingh

It was HeroesCon 2019, first legitimate convention I attended (outside of local cons) and 17 year old me didn’t really have much money. Neal Adams was there and I really wanted to meet him and have him sign some of my Green Lantern books. I only had $140 on me and had no idea that artists or writers charged for signatures. I get to the convention and the first thing I do is get a CBCS witness and then proceed to ask where Neal Adams was.

After I get the CBCS witness and get over to Neal, I asked if he could sign my books for me but he then proceeds to say “you’re a smart young man, read that sign for me” and the sign says “signatures for $50” and “$30 for photographs” and I just stood there and thought to myself that I didn’t have much cash on me. I chose to have my Green Lantern #85 signed for $50 but then decided I wanted a picture with Neal so I also spent $30, that’s $80 gone. 

After all that was done, I get back to the CBCS booth and get all the paperwork filled out (first time submitting a book to grading) and had no idea that the grading would add up to $60, so now that’s $140, basically all my money.

I thought to myself it was well worth it, even though I became broke shortly after. I got the opportunity to meet Neal Adams and have him sign one of my books with a witnessed signature! 

2BE3C42E-85B7-45B6-9390-2074AC4BF2CE.jpeg

460ABC7F-D427-41C8-973B-384FBD771307.jpeg

Edited by Terry_JSA

I met Byrne in KC around 1994. He was at a con with Bernie Wrightson, Phil Hester (pre Bloodlines /Argus days for Phil) and iirc Fred Gorham among others. 

I had copies of Next Men and 2112 in hand for him to sign. I was a retailer at the time & wanted to tell him about the fan reactions to Next Men. He didn't want to talk to me - he proceeded to hit on my girlfriend at the time. IIRC dinner was offered and turned down. 

We broke up years later but I've still got the books and memories! 

On 12/18/2020 at 10:55 AM, devilsrain said:

I imagine you walking around the conventions wearing an Ebay T-shirt.

I've only been accused of that with Good Ol' Walt Simonson. NYCC 2011 Hero Initiative booth.  Walt was doing sketches for $200.

Everyone seemed to be getting busts.  Thor holding the hammer, Thor chucking the hammer etc.  I walk up and say "make my Thor angry"..... Now of course, there's the mistake.  I wasn't specific. I should've said "I want Thor, arm extended into the air standing on a cliff with lightning coming out of Mjolnir"  I hadn't learned to be greedy with my sketch cover requests yet.  He proceeds to draw Thor's head similar to what you would normally get for free from him, maybe slightly worse.  Now (even then) I didn't really mind because I love supporting the Hero Initiative but I had seen him personalizing sketches.  So for $200, I don't want to see my stupid name on the artwork so I politely requested not to personalize it.   He looks me up and down * pauses * then says "ahhhhh, Ebay huh?"  I said No of course not (in my mind I was like.... well now yea)

Surprisingly, I still have the sketch!  

well, now yeah! LOL!

Someone else tried to personalize my book for me too, and I said no as well and got a funny look... who was it... they were personalizing everyone's book in line too... I can't remember who it was for the life of me.
I want to say it was Jim Lee, but I don't remember.

Anyway, I have some pretty bad sketch cover stories too... some really disappointing ones. One sketch cover that I have to say was amazing though was Jae Lee.

What a hero. I should post that story up of what he did for me in a separate story.

On 4/6/2021 at 7:19 PM, Terry_JSA said:

It was HeroesCon 2019, first legitimate convention I attended (outside of local cons) and 17 year old me didn’t really have much money. Neal Adams was there and I really wanted to meet him and have him sign some of my Green Lantern books. I only had $140 on me and had no idea that artists or writers charged for signatures. I get to the convention and the first thing I do is get a CBCS witness and then proceed to ask where Neal Adams was.

After I get the CBCS witness and get over to Neal, I asked if he could sign my books for me but he then proceeds to say “you’re a smart young man, read that sign for me” and the sign says “signatures for $50” and “$30 for photographs” and I just stood there and thought to myself that I didn’t have much cash on me. I chose to have my Green Lantern #85 signed for $50 but then decided I wanted a picture with Neal so I also spent $30, that’s $80 gone. 

After all that was done, I get back to the CBCS booth and get all the paperwork filled out (first time submitting a book to grading) and had no idea that the grading would add up to $60, so now that’s $140, basically all my money.

I thought to myself it was well worth it, even though I became broke shortly after. I got the opportunity to meet Neal Adams and have him sign one of my books with a witnessed signature! 

2BE3C42E-85B7-45B6-9390-2074AC4BF2CE.jpeg

460ABC7F-D427-41C8-973B-384FBD771307.jpeg

I've had a few run ins with Neal Adams too

He is so expensive...

Nice enough guy for sure, no complaints there. But when I met him, the stand out memory I have with him was when he laughed at how much he charged people for the side profile batman head sketches, I think they were something like $150 at the time, and he would joke saying he could just pump these out and sell them like hot cakes. He liked making money

On 4/12/2021 at 11:35 PM, Jsmeadows said:

I met Byrne in KC around 1994. He was at a con with Bernie Wrightson, Phil Hester (pre Bloodlines /Argus days for Phil) and iirc Fred Gorham among others. 

I had copies of Next Men and 2112 in hand for him to sign. I was a retailer at the time & wanted to tell him about the fan reactions to Next Men. He didn't want to talk to me - he proceeded to hit on my girlfriend at the time. IIRC dinner was offered and turned down. 

We broke up years later but I've still got the books and memories! 

LOL! Such a tool. What's shocking is they don't understand or realize the legacy that they leave behind. They think they are above their antics, meanwhile, as this thread clearly illustrates, these memories will live on forever.

Frank Miller met me and my gf at the time and he was super sweet about it. I had her stand in line to get a book signed for me because I had a few others to get done, and rather than juggle and potentially damage them, I gave her one.

So my gf goes up to Frank and hands him the book.

The first thing he says to her is: Oh... this isn't for you is it my dear? She said no, politely, and he laughed and said, well it's a pleasure to meet you anyway, and thank you for coming.

Still kept the book because he was such a good guy.

20170429_170124.jpg

Edited by D2

I went to my first show in Chicago in probably 1984, and I’ve always loved and collected DD. Jim Shooter was sitting at a table, no line. I took him my books, one of which was DD 158. He signed it on the first page at the bottom in ball point pen, and told me all about his contribution to the book. He said he came up with the idea to have Deathstalker materialize inside a tombstone. I know he has a rep that he was hard to work with, but he talked to us for probably ten minutes. So nice - I’ve always remembered that.

My favorite is two different signings, decades apart.  Sometime in the late 80's- early 90's, Gil Kane was at a local show.  I got a handful of books signed; the one that stands out there was the Strange Adventures #184.  He started flipping through the book, slowly.  After a couple minutes, I asked him if something was the matter.  He said "I just haven't seen this story in years, my boy!"  He also signed a beat-up Spider-Man #96 that was, at the time, one of the only Marvel books by him I had.

Decades later, the late 2000's.  I finally get a chance to meet Stan Lee, and decide to have the Spider-Man #96 signed as well.  Having plenty of time to think about what to say, I shake Stan's hand and thank him for having entertained me all my life.  Without missing a beat, Stan replies, with his trademark twinkle in his eye, "You know I did it all just for you, right?"

(It doesn't hurt that the book is cover-dated the month I was born.)

ASM_96.jpg

Edited by OtherEric