• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to ship 24 slabs across country.

10 posts in this topic

I need to ship 24 CGC books from Arizona to New Jersey and am looking for suggestions on how to best ship them. Splitting them up into six flat rate boxes is an option but seems expensive .

I've thought about re-purposing a couple of styrofoam coolers as they seem to arrive with little damage to them, but I'm wide open for suggestions. Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.  

2 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I need to ship 24 CGC books from Arizona to New Jersey and am looking for suggestions on how to best ship them. Splitting them up into six flat rate boxes is an option but seems expensive .

I've thought about re-purposing a couple of styrofoam coolers as they seem to arrive with little damage to them, but I'm wide open for suggestions. Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.  

Most I've shipped is about 10 slabs, and it was to Australia but I repurposed CGC's shipping boxes.

I've never submitted more that 10-15 at a time, so not sure where you'd get the CGC shipping boxes sent to you unless you had subbed that many. 

AND now that I think about it, if you had that box from sending in to repurpose, you might not be asking this question :shy: 

I'm not sure of many alternatives. :sorry: 

14 minutes ago, Conali said:

Fine, I guess I’ll do it since no one else is going to.

The best way to ship 24 slabs across the country is TO...  

Put my address on it.  Thank you, I’ll see myself out.

I can confirm that this is the best way.

2 hours ago, paperheart said:

i shipped 35 Hotflips boxes to Metro w/ about 35 books each; lined the inside of the box w/ bubble wrap then loaded Hotflips box into a larger box also lined w/ bubble wrap.  Fed Ex Ground

I'm thinking a HF box inside the styrofoam and shrink wrapping the whole thing. I'm not sure they will fit, but if it does.....

Edited by shadroch

You want them to get there safe? Double box them. It doesn't take much force to crack a slab, this way affords two levels of padding and protection. 

I just sent about 22 slabs to Australia this way and the books arrived safe and sound. 

Edited by joeypost

20 hours ago, joeypost said:

You wan them to get there safe? Double box them. It doesn't take much force to crack a slab, this way affords two levels of padding and protection. 

I just sent about 22 slabs to Australia this way and the books arrived safe and sound. 

Yup.  Slab box/mag box inside another box with lots of padding.  Cardboard in between each if you can.  

On 11/9/2020 at 5:26 PM, buttock said:

Yup.  Slab box/mag box inside another box with lots of padding.  Cardboard in between each if you can.  

yep, this.  the way CGC ships is similar to getting a CGC/magazine storage box (usually holds 30 slabbed comics) and line the bottom and sides (especially the front and back) so the slabs sit securely.  Place cardboard on either end like book ends and ensure they are snug against the slabs.  you may want to also insert cardboard in between every slab or at least every 3 slabs to help prevent them from rubbing against each other too much.

Then slip on the cover with bubble wrap or padding on top and tape it down.  Then find a bigger box that has at least 1" or more of clearance around all dimensions.  You're going to want to line that with padding (bubblewrap or foam) and set the sealed CGC storage box inside and put padding on top and seal the box.  That is pretty equivalent to what CGC sends except the side padding is a 1" thick cardboard buffer.

When I've ordered stuff from ComicLink they've sent a combination of what CGC sends and large boxes filled with packing peanuts and up to 3 groups of 4-5 slabbed comics in large white bubble mailers in that large box.