• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The thrill is gone.
7 7

393 posts in this topic

On 11/28/2020 at 12:10 PM, shadroch said:

I've been collecting comics since 1972 and they have been a major part of my life. I've owned two comic shops, managed a third, done countless shows and been buying and selling on the internet since the day after I got my first webtv.

Two years ago, I decided to move from Las Vegas to Bisbee ,with the intention of opening a shop that would have a large comic presence. I ran into a few roadblocks and then the virus came along setting me back further.  

I never dreamed I would be in a position of almost no money coming in for 18 months and I also realized I no longer really want to work. It's been six years since I worked more than an occasional part time gig and the thought of opening a shop and being there fulltime simply isn't appealing anymore.

Two weeks ago, I decided I would break into my " retirement vault" - my 100 books worth at least $1,000 each, and sell five of them. In 2016, circumstances forced me into the same situation and I really agonized over which two books to sell. It was like ripping a child out of my arms. 

This time it was different. Avengers 1 was my pride and joy, now I look at it and see $3,000. My Avengers 4- signed by Stan and Joe Simon-that one I will hold onto. Captain America Comics- I love the Schomburg covers, but I have an original painting and two lithos that are much nicer.  I'm still finding a few books I have an emotional tie to- Defenders 10, Captain America 3, the Legion Adventures, Judge Dredd 1, but increasingly I look at the rest and I just see dollar bills. Even when one lives alone, sixty plus comic boxes take up a lot of space.

I'm reminded of my friends Mom. Her husband worked for Con Ed and over the course of his career, managed to buy $250,000 worth of stock in the company. I'm sure he intended that to provide for his family, but when he died the mother refused to sell the stock. She insisted that her beloved husband scrimped and saved to buy them the stock and it would dishonor his memory if they were to sell them. He ended up leaving CW Post to go to a state school because they didn't have the money.

My son, whom I am not close with, and my nephews, who I am close to , have zero interest in my books. If I die, they would be a burden on my nephew to sell. In my will, I leave my books to a comic industry charity. but they can have what is left over. 

I also have underestimated what these book are going for.  A GS X-Men I bought on these boards for $300 sold for $920 even when it turned out to be restored , and another copy I bought from MCS for $410 just sold for $1400.  While I don't "need" the money, those two books just allowed me to buy a nice patio set. 

I've thought about selling out in the past, but I'm pretty sure this time I will go thru with it. 

I look at my two bookcases full of Omni's , Archives and Masterpeces and realize I will most likely never get around to reading them.  Time to pass them along to someone who will appreciate them. 

I think I will still bargain hunt when I can, but 99% of my collection no longer means much to me. 

Forgive my rant, I thought writing this might make me feel different but it didn't.

I felt the same in 1991, sold everything, and left the hobby for three decades.  I recently came back, but in moderation.  The thrill is certainly diminished, but I still admire the hobby and hope it persists.  If I were you i'd dump most of the graded books (keeping a few favorites) and mostly collect/keep lower-mid grade raws for nostalgia/handling, as well as certain omnibuses of all-time favorite titles for actual reading. 

Edited by Poekaymon

17 hours ago, StreetPreacher said:

And good time to do it.  the 40 somethings that are currently spiking the market will be dead soon too, and most kids today don't seem to have much interest in comic books, so there might be a precipitous drop in comic book value coming as this generation dies off...

11 minutes ago, kav said:

People have been saying this for nearly 40 years tho.  There always seem to be a new crop of collectors for the old stuff.
@Hollywood1892 is a good example-never bought comics as a kid-buys lots of high dollar books just to collect/invest.  Lotta folks like that.

And although the argument that the hobby will die based on demographics has some logical appeal, the precipitous price increases, nearly across the board (at least, in the eras I collect), over the last couple years do not seem to demonstrate that it's likely to happen any time soon.  My collection has gone up like 50% in a year and a half and I missed out tons of stuff that I felt was already overpriced and which has since doubled.

Edited by Poekaymon

I've been thinking about keeping one book per character as a display piece and dumping the rest of my golden age.

Seeing how insane prices have gone up, the fun has gone away. I've never been an investor and there are so many other things I could use the money for that doesn't just go in a box.

Keep in mind that the combination of the shutdown, the lockdown, and then actually getting the virus really messed with your mind. There are many reasons to be glum right now and you could be taking it out on your collection. My advice is to take a deep breath, walk completely away from comics for six months, and then come back. Go through your collection and see if you can find the joy it used to bring you. If it doesn't, I'd still hold off selling if you don't need the money but, you know, when the pandemic is over sell what you need to go do something fun. Travel, buy something for a relative as surprise, send nice people on the boards who offer good advice for free good things from your collection...find the joy again. If ya know what I mean. :) 

I had been waiting on a case for my statues for legit a year. Finally arrives. Directions are mess. It’s going together just fine but then all of a sudden just doesn’t. It just would not screw together properly. Finally wasn’t just going to cobble it together but one of the plastic side panels broke...so I just trashed the thing. $500+ down the drain. I was already fed up with QC of statues themselves. I didn’t even really care about the case being complete but what pissed me off is when I had leaned a pice of it up and quickly went to close the bedroom door and take it out before the cat would discover it...3 seconds late the cat discovers it and down slides a metal pieces and puts a huge ding in the dry wall.

I’m with you Shad. Collectibles I have received over the past year or so rarely excit me in hand anymore. I got a Gambit statue a few months ago. It’s nice but didn’t excit me once it was set up. I got a Hela painting and I was just meh about it in hand. I’ve been buying less and less collectibles. I probably really need to jus buckle down and sell some stuff stop buying 98% of stuff I used to and just buy a few really big pieces even if it’s over multiple years. That is the only way something might actually excite me at this point. 

20 hours ago, shadroch said:

In the last week, I have ,in essence, traded a few books that cost me under $1,000 for a new patio set, an 8x8 shed, a 10X10 shed, sixty feet of sail shades and a Ninja Foodie. 

Next up is a roman bath tub, and the fire sprinklers needed to convert part of my storage area into a living space.

Honestly, that excites me more than having another half box of slabs.  I think selling 10 % of my "vault" books, 1/3 of my GA, SA and BA books plus whatever I can sell from the copper to today will net at least another $50,000 while still leaving the majority of my books untouched.  Books are selling at pretty high prices- I sold a weak VG Conan 1 for $200.That's easily a third more than I expected. 

I can completely empathize and understand what you're talking about here!
Thinking about a new 10 x 10 shed makes my mouth water.

I've had my priorities shift over the years, and have gone down some different avenues.

A few years ago Mrs. Voltage and I decided have our home almost completely renovated and turned into a rental, as it's about 1 block from the local university.
I wasn't sure about this plan, but decided to roll with it. It has turned out to be a lot of work, but a lot of fun, and a tremendous long-term investment.
I spend more time in Home Depot, Lowe's, and True Value than comic stores, and more time reading about rentals, management, and passive income than my comics.

I enjoy the heck out of it though! It's just a different enjoyment than comics.

ps: I know fire sprinklers ain't gonna be cheap!

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

We built a cat house recently, almost as fun as trading for ASM 300 9.8 

20201203_143409.jpg

jealous :x 

gives them exercise? I assume, I miss having pets

Cool though! That should be fun  :)