• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The thrill is gone.
7 7

393 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, wilbil said:

carroll only sold, he did not give. ever. for anybody.:sumo:

i don't think i could buy a 40 if i wanted to... only 4 known, i think?

i would not trade it for any comic if i could have bought one, though. i would blow my face off, first.

interestingly, there are 2 pooper survivors. go figure>

back to comics. i got nuthin, because i am a jonny quest dufus. i can't even buy a yugo with that credential.

Well to be fair, a $60K BMW will outperform a MkII on everything but top end.  So again, just lease it!  

43 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Because a happy wife is a happy life and I'll be dead.

I am, however, working on changing the will and the wife seems to be on board after the a-hole it's currently left with freaked out on me. 

I am confused. Why don't you just leave the stuff to your wife? She can figure out what to do with it.

On 11/29/2020 at 11:25 AM, Robot Man said:

Although, I have always hated selling big books unless for a solid reason, real estate, college educations, or other life changing situations, I have done so with no regrets. I realized at the time that they would be gone forever but hey, I know I actually owned them for a while. 

Past few years, I have seen prices climb to a point that I really just can’t enjoy blowing so much money on something that in the long run, I could live happily without. 

I really never want to be out of the hunt either. The journey is so much better than the destination. So, I have just adjusted my expectations. Spending $20.-$100. on a book brings me a whole lot of fun and satisfaction. 

I can't seem to get out of the hunt!

I go somewhere with my wife or kids or friends, and if there is a comic store or thrift store or anything along these lines nearby, I just have to look and see what they have!

Mrs. Voltage simply waves her hand and me and says, 'Just go look,' and I'm off for a few minutes. Sometimes I find a nice gem or an odd item I've been searching for on the backburner.

23 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

I have been collecting comics for 38 years and had continued buying new comics to keep my runs going. At one point I had about 10000 books and I began to think what will happen if I drop dead before I can sell my collection. My kids have little interest in them and selling 10000 books can be very daunting if you don’t know anything about comics. While I am sure they could liquidate if they needed to, I am sure they would leave tons of money on the table simply because comics are not what they are interested in. I have a buddy who is in the same situation so we agreed that if one of us should die prematurely the other would sell the collection and keep 10% for his work. In the meantime over the last few years I have sold about 90% of my collection on the boards and this makes me very happy as I know they are going to people who will really enjoy and cherish the books. I have met so many great people since I joined the boards and have been lucky enough to meet many of you in person over the years.

You're *bleeping" right I have enjoy your books!!! :headbang:  (:

19 hours ago, the blob said:

I go in and out. As I always have financial needs beyond my salary I tend to look at every box as a potential $150-5000. With that said, what I collect right now is some DC war and disney ducks with some random GA, stuff I don't view as great investments (the ducks have been horrible), I just like them (even though they are material I never read when I did read comics). With that said, if there's a Sgt. Rock or enemy ace movie my basement is getting renovated!

Personally I have found the lack of the physical hunt has hurt me. MY main LCS closed last year, the one I went to a lot before then closed, no comic cons around here during covid ... I enjoy the hunt. Hunting on line is not the same, at all.

Hunting for stuff in person is what I like best.
Just the fun of combing through stacks or boxes of books and finding something is so cool!

Hunting online is a different beast for sure. Seems more like a 20-sided dice roll than in-person (which I equate to more elbow grease+knowledge).

3 hours ago, D2 said:

I wanted to thank everyone for sharing their very real, very raw, realities of the other side of the collecting world and their collecting hunger. 

I also wanted to thank shadroch for having the need, the desire, and the courage to share very honest sides to get this whole thing going. 

For me, what this has shown, is the simple fact that I’m not alone. And I appreciate that. 

It doesn’t solve my own issues, or struggles with what I’m left with when it comes to my collecting needs. And let me tell you, they are needs... which is sad in a way. But the simple understanding that, maybe that’s just how it goes?

Nothing lasts forever. 

I get excited and feel alive with the hobby, on my endless crusade for my books, wondering which gems I’ll uncover. Hoping to find the ultimate discovery, the link in the chain. Then, one day it changes. I don’t feel the same appreciation for my collection as I did when I was collecting them, and I’m left wondering what to do next...

So I sell them. I sell almost all of them. Either out of frustration or aggravation with the hobby, the market, or myself... all 3 really. I realize that in truth, the only one that will ever truly appreciate what I have is me. That makes me sad. 

My hunger came back. But it’s tempered. 

It’s tempered by the harsh reality that I also have no one else to share this joy with. It’s tempered by the fact that I don’t want to feel how I felt when I lost that luster for my collection. 

This is a thread I can see my revisiting time and time again. I’ll reread what you have all wrote to remind myself of why I do what I do. 

I do this for me. 

And there is nothing wrong with that!

46 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

My mom went to a conference out of town one time (I was maybe 10 years old), and when she came back she gave me a wrapped present.

Inside were 5 Ditko Spideys. I couldn't believe she'd actually gone into a comic store without me dragging her!

I still have those books, and they'll be among the last to go.

same here , my folks said some kid was selling comic books our local mall out of  a box...she brought me a bunch of Thunder agents....great reads...I started collecting those also at once.

4 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm available, just saying

but do what is agreed, I'm sure it costs $$ to change a will? so :wishluck: hope there are worthy candidates! :tink: 

Look, I've been meaning to tell you and just didn't know how to break it to you: You're gonna die before me.

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

Addy is uncomfortably laughing to this, but on the inside he is thinking

"Does he know something i don't?"

No I just thought I might have offended him by asking to be an heir....

It could be it's not a joke worthy subject for some..... :tink:

So I took my kicking and kept on ticking so to speak.....