• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mount Rushmore of Comic Artists
4 4

196 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

You wouldn't give Neal the Lincoln?  :tink:

Pour me a beer, Don! We’ll talk about it!

Seriously, as we can see from the variety of answers, much depends on the criteria one uses. Kirby is the only one who is going to hit the majority of criteria most are likely to use.

Personally, I’d use the criteria of influence on other creators throughout the history of the medium, so Eisner is probably on mine too. From there it’s hard to pick the final two most broadly influential ones IMO.

1 minute ago, Readcomix said:

Pour me a beer, Don! We’ll talk about it!

Seriously, as we can see from the variety of answers, much depends on the criteria one uses. Kirby is the only one who is going to hit the majority of criteria most are likely to use.

Personally, I’d use the criteria of influence on other creators throughout the history of the medium, so Eisner is probably on mine too. From there it’s hard to pick the final two most broadly influential ones IMO.

So you might give Eisner the Jefferson, after all?  That probably means Barks is my T.R.   hm

16 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Yeah, I get it. But if they hired you to curate a museum of comic art, would you really say "these are the four creators you need to look at?"  Objectively speaking, could you do that? :whistle:

Yes.  Yes, I can.  (Partially because I don't even know who the rest of these guys are.)  Don't lynch me.  

I do know that the Kirby Silver Surfer is the only real Silver Surfer, and the Moebius Silver Surfer is poop, but that's only cause of Tarantino. 

Edited by Poekaymon

2 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

Yes.  Yes, I can.  (Partially because I don't even know who the rest of these guys are.)  Don't lynch me.  

I do know that Kirby's Silver Surfer is better than Moebius's Silver Surfer.  

Uh-oh. With Moebius, you open this up to international artists! That's going to throw a monkeywrench into the works. :nyah:

I guess since Mount Rushmore is located in the U.S., it would be sort of tough to put Herge on the list.  

1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

As Brian Eno once said

It's not so much that Eisner was a top seller or anything.  But he was such an idol for almost everyone who followed him.

I believe Bowie was the first person to cover the Velvet Underground and went a long way in establishing them as an influential group.

Well, it depends what the criteria is for making the Mount Rushmore. I saw above about more people knowing Spider-Man over The Spirit so.. is it based on sheer marketing awareness? Copies sold? Not being sarcastic or anything, genuinely asking. Like, is it our personal Mount Rushmore? If it's in terms of influence, well gosh. Four is so limited. Obviously Kirby would be there. Neal Adams would have to be there. I mean, Hal Foster and Caniff influenced a LOT of comic artists... but so did Todd McFarlane. This can't be easy! :P 

1 hour ago, kav said:

Frazetta only drew one comic his whole career like a 5 pager so nope

The criteria isn't necessarily bodies of work but rather who made an impact.

Frazetta is up there among the most revered artists of all time.

1 hour ago, kav said:

Eisner - not popular enough.  everyone knows who spider man is, not many know abt the spirit

Whaaaat?

Are you wrecked? lol

If anyone deserves to be up there with Kirby without much of a dispute, it's probably Eisner.

And Neal Adams slightly edges out Bernie Wrightson but both are probably considered the greatest artists of the bronze age.

4 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Whaaaat?

Are you wrecked? lol

merely go around asking people do you know who spider man is then ask do you know who the spirit is and consolidate results.

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

And Neal Adams slightly edges out Bernie Wrightson but both are probably considered the greatest artists of the bronze age.

Adams did amazing covers and brilliant and abundant interiors, whereas Wrightson is known more for his covers, much like Lou Fine in the golden age.  2c

Once Barry Smith got past the first dozen-plus issues of Conan, for me, he edges out Wrightson, but I'm partial to the Art Nouveau tableau he borrowed so much from. :luhv:

2 minutes ago, kav said:

merely go around asking people do you know who spider man is then ask do you know who the spirit is and consolidate results.

Even if Ditto didn't help create Spider-Man, he'd still be considered a great because of his body of work and quality of story telling.

Eisner changed story telling and inspired many of the greats after him...Frank Miller obviously being one of the most obvious prodigies, and a great himself.

Sorry, but I think Kirby and Eisner are probably the only two who are shoe ins.

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Even if Ditto didn't help create Spider-Man, he'd still be considered a great because of his body of work and quality of story telling.

Eisner changed story telling and inspired many of the greats after him...Frank Miller obviously being one of the most obvious prodigies, and a great himself.

Sorry, but I think Kirby and Eisner are probably the only two who are shoe ins.

I know eisner is well loved but I always found his drawing stiff.  story telling was ok but a bit repetetive.