• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

INVESTMENTS: Is it time to realize the truth?
3 3

185 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

so people are looking for more easily paintable trim?

I had to do some touch ups this morning.  You know how things always look a little different when you wake up the morning after. 

Yeah - I here the trim is all a 10 at closing time...., 

On 12/25/2020 at 7:41 AM, fastballspecial said:

As someone pointed out this is a terrible time for collectors entering the market and or collectors looking at 
upgrades and grails. 

But from a seller point of view this is the best market I have seen in 20 years. I would advise long time collectors
to cash out now.

Agreed.  I offloaded a number of rare Funkos and a conic variant with no trouble this year. Some of the $ went back into other variants because people will lose their minds when a certain other character finally debuts.

On 12/26/2020 at 2:23 AM, Buzzetta said:

I've casually mentioned this before.  It's not bonkers to the new guard.  It is bonkers to the old guard. 

We are getting old. 

There is the possibility that this is not a bubble that is about to burst but a changing of the guard.

Let's look at AF 15 and Hulk 181. 

AF15 7.0

• 2002 High $7,000 
  • 2020 High $110,000

Hulk 181 9.4

• 2002 High $2,350
  • 2020 High $10,000 with a $12,000 high in 2019.

Now to us, those prices are insane.  Think of the price you paid for a book that has popped in the last few years.  At the price you paid, that is what it cost.  Could you justify paying "Y" for a book knowing that it really only cost you "X" when you bought it years ago? 

To us, those books are very high.  To the new blood, that's what they go for.  "It is what it is"  Lamenting that they should have bought a Hulk 181 in 9.4 for $3,000 is like one of us saying we should have bought a copy for $50 back in the 1980's.  There is nothing they can do about that so a Hulk 181 in 9.4 at $10,000 IS normal for them...  For us, it is outrageous and we can sell it and happily take their money.   For the n00bz, $10,000 for a Hulk 181 9.4 is quite possibly the investment that could have been at one point buying an AF 15 in 9.4 for $10,000.  We see a bubble that might burst.  They see a bubble that has the opportunity to grow. 

I could easily be wrong.   But all of this could possibly be new blood getting attracted to the hobby. 

BINGO!

This encapsulates the hypothesis perfectly. I'd be curious to know how many new AND young members have joined in recent times, as I would hazard a guess it is the old guard that keep these boards going (after all, the thread on 50s War Comics isn't being maintained by 21 year olds).

That said, things can work in your favour. I was gobsmacked by the current prices for IH #181, but pleased in the next moment as I own a 9.8W...

On 12/25/2020 at 12:09 AM, lizards2 said:

Yeah, I don't do that. The CGC chat boards are the only social media I do. My wife calls this place, "Facebook for Nerds". Lovingly, I might add.

My wife calls the CGC boards "your little friends", and I've decided to live with that.

3 minutes ago, F For Fake said:
On 12/24/2020 at 9:09 PM, lizards2 said:

Yeah, I don't do that. The CGC chat boards are the only social media I do. My wife calls this place, "Facebook for Nerds". Lovingly, I might add.

My wife calls the CGC boards "your little friends", and I've decided to live with that.

But, but...., I'm a big boy now. :sumo: