• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Presser and cleaner around Ithaca NY ? (Upstate NY)
1 1

19 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Corallas said:

Yes Purpose was to send them to be graded after .

Then it doesn't really matter where they are located, unless you want to physically inspect the books before sending to CGC. 

On 12/26/2020 at 12:52 PM, Corallas said:

Wondering if anyone knows a good presser and cleaner around Ithaca New York? 

(Upstate NY)

Eat the extra shipping and send them out if need be! The fact that you live in Ithaca implies that you have enough awesome sauce all around already! 

I normally send mine out of state for shipping as well and they then go to CGC from there , it does add up though at $5-10 a press per book plus shipping x 2 . I made the mistake of purchasing insurance once and sent it out of a ups store not yet sealed - they grabbed one of my comics but did so off camera , it was a dead end with police and despite having a hefty insurance only got $50 from the postal service ... horror story and my fault for not pre packaging but I still remember it 

Ithaca is pretty awesome yes , and spring is right around the corner haha .

Yes was hoping for someone local because I am just learning about grading and its always best to talk to someone in person , 

plus the whole big turnarond time for pressing and then big turnaround time for grading . 

If I could cut two months off for pressing , plus save shipping , plus talk to someone in person , plus learn something it is just a huge win . 

26 minutes ago, Corallas said:

Ithaca is pretty awesome yes , and spring is right around the corner haha .

Yes was hoping for someone local because I am just learning about grading and its always best to talk to someone in person , 

plus the whole big turnarond time for pressing and then big turnaround time for grading . 

If I could cut two months off for pressing , plus save shipping , plus talk to someone in person , plus learn something it is just a huge win . 

As far as being informed, yes. All of that goes out the door if the person doing the pressing and providing the information is not that good. 

Edited by joeypost

To the OP, I get your reasons for wanting a local person to do the work for you.  However, FWIW, I would rather send to the best guy out there at working on books (wherever that may be) and have quality work done than be limited by the quality available locally.  

Especially in the last few years, there are a lot of chumpy guys out there that have bought a $140 press and are claiming to be experts.  2c

11 hours ago, EmoJackson said:

Can someone share with me using an outside source vs that of CGC's CCS?

What do you mean, Are you looking for names or are you looking for help that process is different.

3rd party pressers can submit the books to CGC rather  than mail them back to you (or they can mail back to you and you then submit)

As for as names go, That's not really a discussion for these boards since   CGC owns them.   Though the 1st response on this thread is from an excellent pro.

4 hours ago, csaag said:

What do you mean, Are you looking for names or are you looking for help that process is different.

3rd party pressers can submit the books to CGC rather  than mail them back to you (or they can mail back to you and you then submit)

As for as names go, That's not really a discussion for these boards since   CGC owns them.   Though the 1st response on this thread is from an excellent pro.

Sorry, I should have asked the question a little better. 

Why would someone prefer to use a presser outside of what CGC offers?  

22 hours ago, EmoJackson said:

Conversely, why would someone prefer to use what CGC offers when there are better (imo) outside options available? I think a lot of people just go through CGC because it's one stop shopping but I've read enough unsatisfactory stories on these boards from people who went for the in house option. I think it's valuable to do some research first. Don't just blindly swallow what CGC is offering. It's no different than researching any product before purchasing.

Edited by Jeffro.

55 minutes ago, Corallas said:

Yes I didnt realize there was such a difference in pressing capabilities, the ability to do good work seems to be the most important thing .

It is.  There are several people on these boards that do very good work but I think recommending them is discouraged publicly.

20 hours ago, EmoJackson said:

well one thing to consider is when you use a 3rd party presser, you pretty much know who the individual is doing the work which makes it easier to search on them and get opinions on their work.    If you use a company with a staff then you're not sure which individual handles your book and your more reliant on the opinions of the company as a whole

3 hours ago, csaag said:

well one thing to consider is when you use a 3rd party presser, you pretty much know who the individual is doing the work which makes it easier to search on them and get opinions on their work.    If you use a company with a staff then you're not sure which individual handles your book and your more reliant on the opinions of the company as a whole

Excellent point.  My fear is that I wasted money by going with a CGC subscription when it would be more cost effective to use a 3rd party presser and submit through them.

Learning curve I guess.