• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice for new owner of AF 15
2 2

93 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

Price on an AF15 has been depressed from a very active high in 2017-18 I would not rush to sell unless something serious compels you. That being said, get it pressed and slabbed at the least. Keep it in a cool place away from sunlight. When I sold mine, I had offers of 8-18K. I had one for my entire collection of 25 K. I passed but I spent a year really looking at what they were selling for. Yours is a typical marvel chipping copy which CGC does not deduct points for. Based on the similarities to mine, I think you have a 4.5,- 5.0 copy. The high price I saw was 55K but recently as poor as 30K.  So, patience is a virtue. 

No deductions for Marvel chipping?  That's CRAZY!  What's the logic?

2 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

My assumption is your comics will go to Buzzy.

I would if he was local.  Too much to ship.

4 hours ago, D2 said:

Not this. Ever. 

smell it. Then press, clean, grade, store. 

if you want to touch it, read it, and enjoy it, buy a reprint. 

No one in their right mind would wipe their asses with $100 bills, so why would you burn money like this, makes no logical sense. 

You mean like this? :baiting:

Spoiler

20200910_205452.jpg.6eed94164415d36d3c06802a9a5a8b50.jpg

And yes this was the aforementioned

" Overstreet Advisor "

****PSA****

Do not try this. Do not replicate this.

Take this as a what not to do.. 

I only post this as a warning.  

I have already made my true opinion and information known earlier. 

23 hours ago, JJ P said:

do i get it graded first regardless if i ultimately sell or save?

do i need insurance if I keep it?

if get it graded, do you insure the shipping?

thoughts on keeping as investment?

thoughts on waiting til release of spider-man 3 movie for increase in excitement/demand/value if selling is plan?

Yes. You need to send it to the CGC regardless of your decision to sell or keep. You need to know exactly what you have, and so do potential buyers. 

Yes. You need insurance if you keep it. Check with your home insurer and ask about a rider to cover the market value of the book at any given time. Then, compare that number with a policy from https://collectinsure.com/. Shop around and carefully read the policy. You should also consider safe and secure ways of physically storing the book. Dark, cool, crisp air. Don't tell anyone where the book is. Don't store it out in the light. Don't store it in a fireproof safe. Those are the main factors you should consider regarding storage. 

Consider registered mail. You can pay for the insurance up to 50K. I'm not sure how drop-offs or walk-through grading looks after Covid restrictions, but you can consider that as well. If you get a policy through collectinsure, they will cover any loss or damage while the book is in transit, as long as you follow certain protocols. Your agent should be able to guide you. 

I don't think there is a downside to keeping the book. It's the ultimate blue chip comic book, not impossibly out of reach for the average white collar worker (unlike Action 1 - a book for multi-millionaires). I wouldn't be afraid to hold onto it at all. It will only tank if the entire hobby tanks. Bonified cultural icon. 

Not really sure that the new movie will move the meter at a faster rate. AF15 just doesn't need the hype. 

1 hour ago, newshane said:

Yes. You need to send it to the CGC regardless of your decision to sell or keep. You need to know exactly what you have, and so do potential buyers. 

Yes. You need insurance if you keep it. Check with your home insurer and ask about a rider to cover the market value of the book at any given time. Then, compare that number with a policy from https://collectinsure.com/. Shop around and carefully read the policy. You should also consider safe and secure ways of physically storing the book. Dark, cool, crisp air. Don't tell anyone where the book is. Don't store it out in the light. Don't store it in a fireproof safe. Those are the main factors you should consider regarding storage. 

Consider registered mail. You can pay for the insurance up to 50K. I'm not sure how drop-offs or walk-through grading looks after Covid restrictions, but you can consider that as well. If you get a policy through collectinsure, they will cover any loss or damage while the book is in transit, as long as you follow certain protocols. Your agent should be able to guide you. 

I don't think there is a downside to keeping the book. It's the ultimate blue chip comic book, not impossibly out of reach for the average white collar worker (unlike Action 1 - a book for multi-millionaires). I wouldn't be afraid to hold onto it at all. It will only tank if the entire hobby tanks. Bonified cultural icon. 

Not really sure that the new movie will move the meter at a faster rate. AF15 just doesn't need the hype. 

Very helpful, thanks!

5 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

You mean like this? :baiting:

Hide contents

20200910_205452.jpg.6eed94164415d36d3c06802a9a5a8b50.jpg

And yes this was the aforementioned

" Overstreet Advisor "

****PSA****

Do not try this. Do not replicate this.

Take this as a what not to do.. 

I only post this as a warning.  

I have already made my true opinion and information known earlier. 

Wow...

lol

I’m actually stunned. 

On 12/28/2020 at 6:42 PM, JJ P said:

so, proverbial story, my father passed away recently.  my mom said she was going to throw out the box of comics, asked if i wanted them.  Went through them the other day and found what i think is a very good 4.0-5.0 AF 15.  would love some advice if you have it.

do i get it graded first regardless if i ultimately sell or save?

do i need insurance if I keep it?

if get it graded, do you insure the shipping?

thoughts on keeping as investment?

thoughts on waiting til release of spider-man 3 movie for increase in excitement/demand/value if selling is plan?

learning all about a hobby i didn't know much about, in the past few days, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

440E2F8D-735F-49CB-9317-7E3670A6108C.jpeg

What other comics were in that box your mom was going to throw out? I’d like to take a look

6 hours ago, littledoom said:

What other comics were in that box your mom was going to throw out? I’d like to take a look

Hey there, check out my response to same inquiry on page two of this thread, thanks!