• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I HATE Priority medium flat rate square boxes
1 1

33 posts in this topic

This my 4th box that's been damaged this year. Sellers please stop
using them.

Please switch to medium flat rate long boxes. And please spare me
I know how to pack them better. I have had 3 sellers tell me that this 
year and the books still get damage from poor packing or not enough.

Please switch to medium flat rate long boxes. You get more packing 
space and lose maybe 10 books or so volume wise. This is my 
public service announcement. (thumbsu

Completely agree about the cube boxes.  There are times you have little choice, such as a 50 ct. lot of el cheapo comics going a long way.  You do the best you can with those.  And there are ways to stiffen the sides, if so inclined, but many are not.  For anything of value, the side-loading MFR is the way to go. 

With the side-loader, you can usually find a way to double box the contents and still add peanuts or bubble wrap in between both boxes.

If you use Pirate Ship or Stamps.com, you can usually ship by cubic rate, sometimes cheaper than Flat Rate.  Everyone grabs those boxes for the convenience, yet millions of dollars are spent each year needlessly.  There are frequently cheaper options that get the same job done, if you take the time to investigate.

5 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

Completely agree about the cube boxes.  There are times you have little choice, such as a 50 ct. lot of el cheapo comics going a long way.  You do the best you can with those.  And there are ways to stiffen the sides, if so inclined, but many are not.  For anything of value, the side-loading MFR is the way to go. 

With the side-loader, you can usually find a way to double box the contents and still add peanuts or bubble wrap in between both boxes.

If you use Pirate Ship or Stamps.com, you can usually ship by cubic rate, sometimes cheaper than Flat Rate.  Everyone grabs those boxes for the convenience, yet millions of dollars are spent each year needlessly.  There are frequently cheaper options that get the same job done, if you take the time to investigate.

Yes I call them med flat rate long boxes, but we are talking about the same boxes.

Edited by fastballspecial

5 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Yes I call them med flat rate long boxes, but we are talking about the same boxes.

I realize that.  I don't think they have an "official" name to distinguish one from another, but they go by different USPS codes - FRB1 and FRB2.

Some people call the more cubic shaped box a shoe box style, but there is actually a different PM box that is referred to as that on the site itself: https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-shoe-box-oshoebox-P_0_SHOEBOX

We want people to use THIS box: https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-medium-flat-rate-box-2-P_O_FRB2

3 minutes ago, divad said:

I don't buy books by the pound . . . :baiting:

Actually Joeypost sent me a box of X-Men seconds (for him) several thousand years ago using those boxes, but he had reinforced every side with extra-thick cardboard - it's the only way to do it if you are going to use those.

Another option is the Regional boxes (letter designation varies by region, but for example I am in the northeast and my regional one would be the "Region B' box). They are between the two Medium Priority boxes in shape/size -- somewhat taller than the rectangular one but not as tall as the cube. But they have sufficient room for packing/padding around all four sides of a stack of books. And they are cheaper to send within one's own region.

1 minute ago, Readcomix said:

Another option is the Regional boxes (letter designation varies by region, but for example I am in the northeast and my regional one would be the "Region B' box). They are between the two Medium Priority boxes in shape/size -- somewhat taller than the rectangular one but not as tall as the cube. But they have sufficient room for packing/padding around all four sides of a stack of books. And they are cheaper to send within one's own region.

True sometimes difficult to understand the region, but in that case I will just use a plain Priority long box as well if they are closer to me to save them some money.

1 minute ago, Readcomix said:

Even those now need to be reinforced, as they have gotten very thin on the cardboard used.