• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Only WILD CAUGHT Comics allowed!
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Okay, I have a story. Can't remember exactly when...sometime in the late '70s or early '80's...I walked into a Grocery Store in a small town I can't remember where. There was a spinner rack filled with older comics. I found about 5 or 6 copies of Werewolf by Night 6 which came out in the early '70's. Here's the thing...they were all cover price. So, I bought all 6. Figured I couldn't go wrong with a Spider Woman appearance on the cover. Filed them away and still have them. I'm going by memory but I'm thinking they were all in the 9.0 range. They kind of had the look of comics he had out years ago, didn't sell them and then just decided to put them out. Considering these were all on a spinner wrack, I was truly amazed at the condition. Been collecting for 40 years and this was the only time I ever tripped over a find.

I found a all star comics 58 at the used bookstore last year, I was a nice read and glad to have hope for more that that store.

It's only 2 blocks away, but even being so close, I dont go all the time, as turnover there is seldom. Hard to go through the same old stock, but deep down I'll think about it and say, i just have to go buy and look.

Right now they have some early 100's iron man, and I've found other stuff there 1st published art of mcfarlane but that's copper.

Still it's just nice to see BA at places like this, i have a feeling that its rare ish to see, and it fills me with joy!

8 hours ago, ninanina said:

I found about 5 or 6 copies of Werewolf by Night 6 which came out in the early '70's. Here's the thing...they were all cover price. So, I bought all 6. Figured I couldn't go wrong with a Spider Woman appearance on the cover.

Werewolf By Night 6 with Spider Woman on the cover??? 

On 1/26/2021 at 11:47 PM, APDallas said:

NO ON-LINE BUYS! NO LCS BUYS! Only flea market, estate sales or private buys from non-collectors! Show me the HUNT and your SPOILS!

HOW ABOUT COMIC BOOKS BOUGHT off THE RACK when THEY WERE FIRST PUBLISHED?

My buddy circa 1970 bought some silver age Marvel keys for literally pennies in a suburb of Toronto, ON, Canada. He found an Asian grocery store that also sold used comics and mags at the back. They just got in a collection of early Marvels that they took a felt pen to and began marking down the cover price from 12c to 6c since they were all used comics. He scooped ASM #1 x 2 copies, DD #1, ToS 58, 59 before they were marked on cover. He refused to pay the lofty price of 6c for the FF #1 since it was defaced on front cover with the 6c mark. Hey, 6c was a lot of money to a little kid in 1970. :flipbait:

I remember the owner of a candy store had a stack of comics on top of a freezer in the back of his store that I never bothered to look through because I thought they’d be some of the kiddie books that didn’t interest me. To my surprise there were all the Byrne x men run, annuals, some silver age stuff, etc. I asked the store owner what the prices were and he grabs one, looks at the cover price and says ”50 cents”. I say, “each?” and he says, “yeah, or just give me $5 and take them all. My son gives them to me after he reads them and tells me to sell them and they’ve just been piling up there for the last few years”. There were about 60 books in the stack, many of the early marvel squarebound stuff in excellent condition for where they’d been sitting with the occasional store cat laying by them, licking his fur. I thought I struck gold because I could sell them to my friends for $1 a piece, not knowing anything about the over street price guide back then

Edited by B2D327