• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditko on video
1 1

19 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Video says it is restricted.

Worked for me

I never met the man, didn't even know what he looked like.  I read comics as a kid from the mid 60's to early 70's.  Then skipped about 10 years and became a collector.  He was "Ditko, the guy that drew the early stuff" in my mind. 

After seeing this, I had a tremendous sense of loss, almost a weepy feeling.  Maybe a realization that a big part of my life was in there somewhere, and so much time had passed.  I want it back.

22 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

I never met the man, didn't even know what he looked like.  I read comics as a kid from the mid 60's to early 70's.  Then skipped about 10 years and became a collector.  He was "Ditko, the guy that drew the early stuff" in my mind. 

After seeing this, I had a tremendous sense of loss, almost a weepy feeling.  Maybe a realization that a big part of my life was in there somewhere, and so much time had passed.  I want it back.

Hard not to feel a sense of loss when the work of creators such as Ditko acts as a source of enjoyment, amazement, and, in my case, detachment from a lot of negative experiences throughout life.  The uplifting power of their creativity also, to a degree, blinds you to their otherwise obvious mortality, even decades on, and it can still feel quite devastating when one of your icons isn't here any more.  A more recent example for me was the passing of Richard Corben.

10 hours ago, Turnando said:

He did not believe in compromise, had no empathy, and he rejected imperfection.  

Not what I look for in art and literature or even just pop culture.  Quite the opposite.

To each his own, but I find him to be abhorrent.

Actually, in an imperfect world I believe he was striving to be better than average, to be the best Ditko he could be. I guess we all take away different things from philosophy! 

Edited by Timely
Imperfection

12 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Hard not to feel a sense of loss when the work of creators such as Ditko acts as a source of enjoyment, amazement, and, in my case, detachment from a lot of negative experiences throughout life.  The uplifting power of their creativity also, to a degree, blinds you to their otherwise obvious mortality, even decades on, and it can still feel quite devastating when one of your icons isn't here any more.  A more recent example for me was the passing of Richard Corben.

This ...

29 minutes ago, themagicrobot said:

Has anyone got an hour to spare?

It's always irritated me that Ross condescendingly asks the audience to respect Ditko's privacy, after having pestered Ditko at his apartment to let him in for a private one-to-one chat.