• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Sponsors Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Join CGC's Private Signings.

8 posts in this topic

Very cool. An opportunity for signed books and remarques. I would go for a Klaus Janson remarque but not Miller. He seems to have an issue with people getting original art from him and selling it on ebay so his drawings are sloppy and rude. I see them as contemptible, myself. Janson's are nice.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/8860/

On 2/1/2021 at 7:52 PM, Randall Ries said:

Very cool. An opportunity for signed books and remarques. I would go for a Klaus Janson remarque but not Miller. He seems to have an issue with people getting original art from him and selling it on ebay so his drawings are sloppy and rude. I see them as contemptible, myself. Janson's are nice.

I'm not a Miller fan for this very reason. Dude has the nerve to charge $300 for a remarque then just gives it a half-butt attempt. Everyone likes to give Alan Moore grief for being an old curmudgeon, but he at least seems to appreciate fans of his work to some extent and hates the comic industry itself and wants no part of the machine as a whole. Miller just seems to hate his fans at all levels. The only thing I can figure out is that Miller is either bad with money and keeps having to run these "rare" signing opportunities that seem to be coming up more and more frequently, or he just loves money more than he hates people 

On 2/1/2021 at 7:52 PM, Randall Ries said:

Miller seems to have an issue with people getting original art from him and selling it on ebay so his drawings are sloppy and rude.

There are always a lot of Miller sketches posted for sale but the amount that actually sell is very low. So many of his sketches have been posted for sale for years with no movement

Edited by Hockeyflow33

2 hours ago, Nic8612 said:

I'm not a Miller fan for this very reason. Dude has the nerve to charge $300 for a remarque then just gives it a half-butt attempt. Everyone likes to give Alan Moore grief for being an old curmudgeon, but he at least seems to appreciate fans of his work to some extent and hates the comic industry itself and wants no part of the machine as a whole. Miller just seems to hate his fans at all levels. The only thing I can figure out is that Miller is either bad with money and keeps having to run these "rare" signing opportunities that seem to be coming up more and more frequently, or he just loves money more than he hates people 

I like Miller for one reason and one reason only: He can write. DKR blew our doors off in 1986. Sin City was also excellent. But when I started collecting signed regular covers of DK3, I noticed some of them had drawings on them. And they were beyond contempt. Conversely, Janson always puts some effort in. So, yes. When DKSA came out and I read it, it was like he was spitting in my face. He is like a handful of celebrities that once they gain notoriety, they become contemptuous and rude toward their fans. The same fans who lined their pockets with gold in appreciation for a character they helped define. I wouldn't ask Frank Miller to draw me directions to a bowling alley. Certainly not allowing him to deface a book I may own. Sorry, Miller. DKR still means something to us. Maybe not you but to us it is still a great book.

1 hour ago, Hockeyflow33 said:

There are always a lot of Miller sketches posted for sale but the amount that actually sell is very low. So many of his sketches have been posted for sale for years with no movement

It's because they stink. He dumbs them down on purpose because fans are doing exactly what you describe: Trying to sell them as OA on ebay. So no way he's going to do a reasonable drawing w/o getting a piece of the gate. When I look at all the magnificent examples of OA on a blank cover the artist did, I always think of Miller and his childish attempt to keep his fans at arms length.

On 2/3/2021 at 12:05 PM, Randall Ries said:

It's because they stink. He dumbs them down on purpose because fans are doing exactly what you describe: Trying to sell them as OA on ebay. So no way he's going to do a reasonable drawing w/o getting a piece of the gate. When I look at all the magnificent examples of OA on a blank cover the artist did, I always think of Miller and his childish attempt to keep his fans at arms length.

Agree to disagree on your whole point. Every time I've met him through the years he has always been incredibly nice to me and others I've seen him interact with. He'll chat with you if you talk to him and I've been lucky enough to run into him outside of a con signing and same thing. He charges over $10k for an actual commission so you're getting the same type of sketch as a Jim Lee or Bruce Timm, only Miller's are free or a couple hundred bucks instead of $800 for a Jim Lee Parker head or $300-500 for a Timm. 

Miller also clearly has health issues he's dealing with so you should remember that before insulting him. 

3 hours ago, Hockeyflow33 said:

Agree to disagree on your whole point. Every time I've met him through the years he has always been incredibly nice to me and others I've seen him interact with. He'll chat with you if you talk to him and I've been lucky enough to run into him outside of a con signing and same thing. He charges over $10k for an actual commission so you're getting the same type of sketch as a Jim Lee or Bruce Timm, only Miller's are free or a couple hundred bucks instead of $800 for a Jim Lee Parker head or $300-500 for a Timm. 

Miller also clearly has health issues he's dealing with so you should remember that before insulting him. 

Contempt is as contempt does. Simply will not pay $3,000 for a head shot I could do with my left foot. I suppose that's less Millers fault than it is a dealers for charging that after grading but still. I won't pay $350, either. Miller doesn't do free sketches AFAIK. I don't expect a Rembrandt but look at his compared to Jansons. I made my mind up about him after DKSA. I was quite frankly surprised DC published it. It was a hateful response to DKR and a slap in the face of his fans.

I didn't knock him for "clearly" having health issues. Does he have cerebral palsy? Is that why his sketches are puerile? Have you even seen his sketches? Also, I love his writing. His art is another matter entirely. You go buy it if you like it. If fact, why don't you marry it if you love it so much?