• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BST forum for a relative new guy
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Im relatively new to the forums, and was wondering how comfortable members would be to a relative newcomer selling books in the BST forum here. I have a few that I would like to sell to raise funds for another purchase, and the ebay/ paypal fees are making dents in my sales income. Just wanted to ensure that I follow the proper protocol while also getting the maximum amount for my books.

Some folks will be wary of buying from a newbie. If you have any references that you can share that may help. Have you dealt with anyone else on the boards either buying or selling that can vouch for you? Sharing your ebay feedback may also help.

Paypal fees will still come into play of you sell here. You cannot ask for friends and family payments.

Make sure you read the selling guidelines carefully.

you have to start somewhere...yes some people will be wary but a few good sales threads will take care of that

this place can be a beast to tame...you have to be clear, honest and open to admitting and fixing mistakes if you want to prosper

or have cool books

You'll get the most for your books after you have established a good reputation. It's a chicken and egg deal. Also you shouldn't assume you will get more here than from other places.  Selling a book here exposes it to a couple of hundred people, almost all in the USofA. Sell on ebay and you have intergalatic exposure. 

8 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

Some folks will be wary of buying from a newbie. If you have any references that you can share that may help. Have you dealt with anyone else on the boards either buying or selling that can vouch for you? Sharing your ebay feedback may also help.

Paypal fees will still come into play of you sell here. You cannot ask for friends and family payments.

Make sure you read the selling guidelines carefully.

Ok thanks. It has been a few years, but I did buy a few books. Im not selling any high $$ books, so shouldnt be to concerned I guess.

21 hours ago, shadroch said:

You'll get the most for your books after you have established a good reputation. It's a chicken and egg deal. Also you shouldn't assume you will get more here than from other places.  Selling a book here exposes it to a couple of hundred people, almost all in the USofA. Sell on ebay and you have intergalatic exposure

:whatthe:

I have no problems buying from a newbie but I do like a vouch of confidence or even an Ebay handle with good praise to make me feel confident. As mentioned, follow the rules and you should be fine.

I also found that being an active poster helps. I posted solidly for a good 4-6 months before my first sale thread. I found that established that I was (and always will be) here to stay and chat and enjoy and am not someone who appears and disappears, making me hard to contact. 

My first sales thread here came when I was a relatively new. 

It was the same situation. I wanted to buy a bigger book and I sold books to fund it. 

I sold pretty much everything without issue. My prices were fair,  I used the "spare a grade" section with detailed photos and I was as transparent as could be. 

I've had a few sales threads since then and things have gone really smoothly. 

It's a great place to buy and sell. You build relationships and keep books in this community. 

7 minutes ago, steveinthecity said:

@Mr.Fantastic You’ve posted a previous sales thread here years ago, as well as offering references and a link to your eBay sales. Not much if anything has changed as far as protocol or rules go.  I’d think you’re good to go.

Thanks! I had forgotten about that.  Can't even remember what I was selling.