• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen Books Alert!!
6 6

95 posts in this topic

Sorry to hear about the theft.  Glad the boards, specifically Bumble Kitty , were all over this. 

Please keep us updated on the outcome. 

Hope you manage to get all of it back and the insufficiently thoughtless person gets what they deserve.  

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

That the books were on ComicLink instead of eBay leads me to believe that the thief knew what they were after, where it was, and how to get rid of it in the most profitable manner. The thief knew enough to get the books up for auction. 

So, “friend” who helped load books into the storage unit, disgruntled family member, or shifty storage facility employee? 

3 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Likelihood of traceability - 100%. Even if passed through multiple hands. And how many of those could there be, if we're just hearing about the theft?  And all for a few hundred $ in profit?  

Strange.

Does CL have my books or can someone like them on the site and still have them at their house?

2 minutes ago, Daniel Boshell said:

Does CL have my books or can someone like them on the site and still have them at their house?

If they are at auction, they should have it at their offices. 

Depending on when you think they were stolen, while you can prove you owned them in the past, how can you prove you didnt sell them to someone who sold them to someone who consigned them to auction. That's going to be the thing. I assume the consignor isn't going to be the insufficiently_thoughtful_person thief and might have some push back on the claim.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Depending on when you think they were stolen, while you can prove you owned them in the past, how can you prove you didnt sell them to someone who sold them to someone who consigned them to auction. That's going to be the thing. I assume the consignor isn't going to be the insufficiently_thoughtful_person thief and might have some push back on the claim.

I filed a police report showing the books were stolen.

3 hours ago, Daniel Boshell said:

I filed a police report showing the books were stolen.

Keep us updated! 

My guess is the person who is selling them at CL didn't break into your storage locker.

The person who broke in took them to whatever comic shop or pawn shop would give him quick cash and the shop owner is trying to flip them at CL, not knowing they are stolen. 

Just my guess.  The good news is, you know where there are. Hopefully this gets resolved! 

26 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

Seems strange someone broke into a storage unit, stole what they could find including some comic books and immediately had the knowledge to list them on comiclink. If it was ebay or Craigslist I would get it, but is comiclink well known outside of the collecting community? Sure maybe the thief just googled "sell comics" and randomly went with comiclink but seems odd. Maybe I shouldn't admit this for fear of judgment, but I've been collecting for over 25 years and I've never once sold on comiclink. This thief knows more than I do :(

I have to imagine books were all sold to another party ( dealer/comic shop or collector ) that subsequently listed them for sale on C-link...no thief is that stupid?

6 hours ago, Funnybooks said:

I have to imagine books were all sold to another party ( dealer/comic shop or collector ) that subsequently listed them for sale on C-link...no thief is that stupid?

This has to be what happened. Someone that breaks in and steals stuff probably doesn’t know about comic link. Most likely a pawn shop.

6 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

If they sell for high prices due to all this publicity, maybe you can keep the net proceeds instead of the comics.  After they find the actual culprit, that is.

there is so much talk of market manipulation, imagine if op had his books stolen just to drive up the auctions (I am not suggesting this is what happened, just that it could make a good dark comedy film noir plot).