• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone having an issue with the amount when you try to pay with PP?
3 3

25 posts in this topic

Maybe something new occurred and I missed it?

I tried putting in a number 4 times last night, paying with REGULAR paypal, not Friends, just regular and it keeps showing a different amount on the next page, I put in a round number and they deducted what appears to be their fees and then charged the seller fees as well. The hold they put on my credit card the first 4 times was the round number I entered, but this last time when it went through it's the lower amount (net) amount. For example, if I entered $1000, they showed and charged me  $974.80 , then sent the seller $942.60. 

I can't get through on the phone they said they are so busy they are not answering calls and see nothing on Google.

57 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Seller lives in the U.S..

Very weird, but thanks

Some sellers will appear to be in the US for eBay purposes, but don't live there.  Like some Asian sellers will use Los Angeles as a location, if they have stuff warehoused there and ship from there.  But they are set up for Asian currency, and there can be a conversion charge.

The odd thing I see in your example is that you are entering $1000 and somehow they are charging you less than $1000.  I could see more for an added service like money exchange, but less is just wrong in every way possible. 

Is it that you already have a small balance in PP, and $974.80 would be the draw to fund the $1000?

25 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

Is it that you already have a small balance in PP, and $974.80 would be the draw to fund the $1000?

This. 
Another possibility is you have a coupon or eBay bucks balance where a portion of the payment is coming from. (shrug)

3 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Why would the seller receive a reduced amount if this was the case????

I may have misunderstood the op. My interpretation was the amount they were billed was less than the amount they were charged. 
I’ve reached my quota for annual brain farts

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

Seller lives in the U.S..

Very weird, but thanks

I see this type of result is you are sending money NOT for goods, and using a credit card.  If you send $1000 using a credit card, PayPal will charge YOU the 3% or so, if unable to get it from the receiver's side.  But you mention that it not sent in the Friends and Family manner.

If the seller is a new seller, he might not have a business account.  If it's a personal account, he is not set up to pay the 3%, so you might have to.  Just spitballing a few things, and curious what PayPal tells you if you ever get through to them.

I bought an item from a seller in Pennsylvania a couple of days ago.  Got an email from Paypal saying that the payment was pending.  

The payment is less than 80 bucks.  Have no idea why Paypal is dragging their feet on this one.

"As part of our security measures, we review certain payments more closely to ensure our platform is being used properly and to minimize the potential risk for us and our customers. One of the payments that you sent is currently being reviewed. We are working to resolve this matter as quickly as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience."

24 minutes ago, Cliff R. said:

I bought an item from a seller in Pennsylvania a couple of days ago.  Got an email from Paypal saying that the payment was pending.  

The payment is less than 80 bucks.  Have no idea why Paypal is dragging their feet on this one.

"As part of our security measures, we review certain payments more closely to ensure our platform is being used properly and to minimize the potential risk for us and our customers. One of the payments that you sent is currently being reviewed. We are working to resolve this matter as quickly as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Could be something "questionable" going on with the seller or his account, so PayPal is gating all payments until it is resolved.  I'd look at this as a good thing, in case there is fraud involved.  Maybe another buyer reported a problem, and they are looking into it.  Holding all payments in the meantime, to limit the fallout.

I got through to customer service. She said that there have been some "glitches", but no problems (which didn't make a lot of sense). I sent a payment   friends and  family with her on the phone to make up the difference and again it came up less, then tried $5.00 from my PP balance FF and it went through as $4.55.

They are doing a ticket and said I should hear in about 2 weeks, so...just watch for errors. I give up for now, lol.

1 hour ago, Cliff R. said:

53 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

Could be something "questionable" going on with the seller or his account, so PayPal is gating all payments until it is resolved.  I'd look at this as a good thing, in case there is fraud involved.  Maybe another buyer reported a problem, and they are looking into it.  Holding all payments in the meantime, to limit the fallout.

Yes, there was a guy on one of the Facebook groups that was surprising people by adding 3% to their orders if they did not do Friends and Family... his buyers complained about him publicly and then everyone complained to PayPal.  Eventually he made mention that everyone got him in trouble with PayPal, they were tying up his account, he had a FDQ exit and then he left and deleted the whole thread. 

So... the seller in question that Cliff is referring to might have been caught violating the PP TOS as you suggest and it has nothing to do with Cliff. 

It's been getting stranger and stranger since paypal and ebay split.

I've emptied my account to the bare minimum - I'll just use the attached bank account when buying something.

I'm not sure paypal will be around too much longer ebh.

Too many issues with security, random holds on accounts and difficulty contacting them.

1 hour ago, Beige said:

I'm not sure paypal will be around too much longer ebh.

Too many issues with security, random holds on accounts and difficulty contacting them.

Really? I’ve rarely had an issue with them in the 20 years since I started using them. Most of the problems I’ve read about were from people who’s accounts were hacked which in most cases was due to their own carelessness or being fooled by spoof emails. That and their recent acceptance of crypto currencies doesn’t lead me to believe they’re going anywhere anytime soon