• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay offensive material policy - Just the beginning of censorship, already happening? Whats the scoop?
3 3

631 posts in this topic

I think for the most part the discussion here has been better than expected. Sometimes it gets a bit too close to politics but I'm hoping people can set aside Blue vs Red and look at it under the guise of a more historical discussion and how current censorship is repackaged in todays age.

Working for Disney myself I've had to make numerous catalog title changes to poster artwork for digital download. Some used and some not.
Shortly after Sandy Hook we worked day and night redesigning all poster art to remove any weapon use. I especially remember trying to redesign the cover artwork for Eddie Murphy's movie Metro. I also remember a debate over how much cleavage Mulan should have and the techniques in covering it.

Edited by Rip

Is Lucy going to have to start posting a disclaimer stating she is not a licensed certified psychiatrist? Or is she? If so I'm going to need proof. If not, is it grounds for a class action lawsuit from the individuals she's "helped" for the past many decades?

I'm the victim here. 

May I please have some virtual hugs 🤗

But not too virtual though. 

IMG_6723.JPG

47 minutes ago, Cobbledclam said:

Is Lucy going to have to start posting a disclaimer stating she is not a licensed certified psychiatrist? Or is she? If so I'm going to need proof. If not, is it grounds for a class action lawsuit from the individuals she's "helped" for the past many decades?

I'm the victim here. 

IMG_6723.JPG

we had a virtue signalling claim earlier in the thread, but isn't this the same thing...just anti-virtue signalling? Clutched pearls at hypothetical situations? a version of reductio-absurdum or whatever that is?

And peanuts fought the good fight too! Charles Shultz fought his syndicate over Franklin and stood his ground. He's a Good Man, that Charlie Brown! 

5 hours ago, thunsicker said:

Heck, that’s nothing.  In the early 90’s Liz Phair was the hot new artist with her debut album ‘Exile in Guyville’.  If you have a minute go listen to the track ‘Flower’ off that critically acclaimed album.

No

4 hours ago, snitzer said:

They were forced to discontinue publishing. The SPLC made the declaration and from there it was only a matter of time.

p.s. Where is this conservative media you speak of? :roflmao:

This is a serious question?

1 hour ago, Cobbledclam said:

I'm the victim here. 

IMG_6723.JPG

-1.jpg

1 hour ago, Bookery said:

I think one of the things that has some people disturbed about all of this, is that describing some of these images as racist is pretty absurd.  No doubt there are plenty of early images from Seuss that are racist... but save for a couple, admittedly, some of these in the 6 books are quite a stretch, and perhaps says more about the people seeing racism in everything than in the images themselves.  Perhaps the silliest is that an entire book is banned / attacked / denigrated because of a single image of fish from the far North having what looks like fur collars.  The apparent "thinking" is that Eskimos wear fur collars (or did at the time Seuss wrote), thereby depicting someone in a cold climate wearing a fur collar is racist!  Even if it WAS meant to evoke Eskimos, how was such an image culturally demeaning, a seeming necessary ingredient for an image to be considered racist?  I'm pretty sure if I go to the Arctic, I'm going to want to be wearing a fur (or faux-fur) collar!   In another, a man is riding a camel-like creature (it's NOT a camel, since it has elaborate antlers).  I'm guessing those decrying this are suggesting it's racist against Arabs?  But desert peoples have ridden camels... it's not demeaning, just a historical fact.  And besides, this man in not really dressed in Arab garb, but looks more like something out of ancient Persia.

There are certainly images out there from Geisel that depict racist stereotypes.  But just drawing someone in the clothing of their culture is not racist, especially if there is no derision apparent in the depiction.  

Eskimos? Eskimos? Oh, you're :censored: now, buddy!

I remember a former NFL QB got angry about the Betsy Ross flag being used by Nike. Nike stopped production and pulled the shoe. eBay continues to allow the shoes to be sold. This also true of the NFL’s Washington <insert former mascot name> football gear as well. Why now, and on this item, have they decided to make a formal move? Also, why in the world would the NYTimes go after a cartoon and not “rape culture” itself?

19 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Eskimos? Eskimos? Oh, you're :censored: now, buddy!

Nah.  It's the term used by Encyclopedia Brittanica online.  I admit it's been a terrible, corrosive influence on me.  But I'm the victim here.  I'd ban the Brittanica.  Today, preferably.

4 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

You should lose points for calling it too early 

it's no longer in the rules.  That was omitted once LTPC 2.0 began.

It became too much of a hassle keeping track of every post in the thread. 

Edited by Buzzetta

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

it's no longer in the rules.  That was omitted once LTPC 2.0 began.

It became too much of a hassle keeping track of every post in the thread. 

IBTL